Blacking out the inside of your helmet.

What should I use to Back out the inside of my bucket?

Any pictures of your helmets would be great!

I want the inside of my helmet to be black!

But when I apply Velcro to certain areas to hold components I don't want the Velcro pieces that I add ontop of black paint to remove the paint or tape as I pull things out and move them around.

My first and favorite idea was to just cover the entire inside of my helmet with the soft loop side of black Velcro, then I can move components around as I so see fit. The obvious concern about this is if having the entire helmet lined with the soft side of black Velcro, will my head over heat?

So the materials I am considering are:

VELCRO

lUwlCj2.jpg

GAFFA TAPE

7kZ8Qgv.jpg

ATHLETIC TAPE

jYRXOJC.jpg

PAINT

bf3gzZk.jpg

I am concerned that if I used paint, it would peal out as I pull on the battery boxes or move the fans around over time.

Any opinions or advice will be great.

The velcro is an interesting idea, however, why not use the paint first.... then add the velcro strategically positioned...

I'm considering using that non stick mat material that you use on car dash boards.... If it get' too hot, then i'll simply rip it out....

I put the velcro in my helmet to hold items. I got some good feedback to while at Comic Con. It held my keys, wallet as well as battery pack for fans.

Now there's something I never thought of! lol

At the very least I could probably fit a pouch for a key and a money clip. Here I've been thinking it had to be in the drop boxes....

I put the velcro in my helmet to hold items. I got some good feedback to while at Comic Con. It held my keys, wallet as well as battery pack for fans.

I have made my decision based on the fact that your reply is right up there with why I wanted to do Velcro, so Velcro it is.

I just purchased a 15ft roll.

It is on now!

Pics to come.

Krylon "Fusion" for palstic. Its supposed to bond with the palstic on the molecular level, so it should not flake or peel off (in theory).

And instead of lining the whole helmet with velcro which could get hot. Paint it black then apply the velcro in strips that way its not totally lined and you still keep the freedom to move things around.

I have made my decision based on the fact that your reply is right up there with why I wanted to do Velcro, so Velcro it is.

I just purchased a 15ft roll.

It is on now!

Pics to come.

I don't think it's a good idea to line the whole helmet with velcro, especially because I think it will really slow down the air circulation, smooth is better IMHO.

Not to mention if you have to reassemble the helmet...

I'd go with black Plastidip. ;)

Really noobish question but:

Why is it recommended that you black out the inside of the helmet?

blacking out the inside of your helm makes it so people can not see your eyes through the lenses and it makes it harder for kids to look up into your helm.

I Just did two coats of Plastic Underlining in my helm today and I must say its a dream spray lol, makes the helm more sturdy and look way awesome lol! I bought it at auto zone it was about 7 bucks and well worth it. I did however under estimate the power of the spray and managed to totally rubberize my index finger wile trying to hold the helm haha.

• 1 year later...

blacking out the inside of your helm makes it so people can not see your eyes through the lenses and it makes it harder for kids to look up into your helm.

I Just did two coats of Plastic Underlining in my helm today and I must say its a dream spray lol, makes the helm more sturdy and look way awesome lol! I bought it at auto zone it was about 7 bucks and well worth it. I did however under estimate the power of the spray and managed to totally rubberize my index finger wile trying to hold the helm haha.

is "Plastic Underlining" a brand? couldn't find that on search...

thanks