Why mylar strips on O2 cannisters?

Got my FX kit and it comes with the mylar, reflective tape that you put on the edges of the O2 cannister when you are building it. I've noticed that other makes of armor don't come with the reflective tape. I just looked in the gallery at the reference photos, and I don't see anything reflective about the cannisters, just the white/grey combo. So what's up with the reflective tape? Is is particular to a specific episode in Star Wars? I'm tempted to take mine off, since I'm still in the building phase.

I don't know where it comes from.

Maybe it's made to resemble the metal clips used to hold the detonator:

-----

I'm not sure really.

But you can do without it, if you want to be screen accurate.

Edited by gmrhodes13
link not working removed

My vote is O2 canister and is was called that long before thermal detonator. If you think about it, it makes sense. The only thermal detonator we see is what Leia/Boush has and it not only looks the same, but is so powerful to put fear in the hearts of everyone in Jabba's palace. I can see no reason why troopers in the Death Star carry these around everywhere, and in an easy to grab by someone who is not themselves location, if it where a TD.

An O2 canister makes much more sense. Actually my guess would be something even more mundane as a water bottle. Those uniforms get hot - you have to store liquid somewhere.

In the end they're just there to look cool by the art department, nothing more.

My vote is O2 canister and is was called that long before thermal detonator. If you think about it, it makes sense. The only thermal detonator we see is what Leia/Boush has and it not only looks the same, but is so powerful to put fear in the hearts of everyone in Jabba's palace. I can see no reason why troopers in the Death Star carry these around everywhere, and in an easy to grab by someone who is not themselves location, if it where a TD.

An O2 canister makes much more sense. Actually my guess would be something even more mundane as a water bottle. Those uniforms get hot - you have to store liquid somewhere.

In the end they're just there to look cool by the art department, nothing more.

I like that explanation. I'll continue to call it an 02 canister (unless someone else has a more convincing argument ;) )

I've always called it a "TD", partly because I think that's what Jawas were saying... "TEEEE DEEE!" But maybe they were just screaming that a sandtrooper was heading their way. :)

I like Paul's explanation though.

The O2 canister fits that sandtroopers don't have them too... they were on a planet, didn't need the O2 like the troopers on the DS might have (even though they weren't "space troopers").

Paul if you look In the Star Wars Visual dictionary on the Stormtrooper page there is a picture of it and it is called a Thermal Detonator. I think this is why people started calling it a TD as prior to that it was thought to be an O2 canister I believe. ;)

Paul if you look In the Star Wars Visual dictionary on the Stormtrooper page there is a picture of it and it is called a Thermal Detonator. I think this is why people started calling it a TD as prior to that it was thought to be an O2 canister I believe. ;)

That could be why - but alas the VisDic is full of poodoo in terms of explanations that make no sense.

That could be why - but alas the VisDic is full of poodoo in terms of explanations that make no sense.

I agree, those dictionaries make stuff up, left and right just for effect. Think about it: if you were a stormtrooper and you always walked around with a thermal detonator clipped on behind you, you'd get a little freaked out every time you bumped into a wall or something. If they really were bombs, it would have been interesting to see in the movies, a trooper get hit by an Ewok, fall backwards onto the ground and then explode!

That would make 'em space ninja's!!! I recall playing some game where every enemy exploded like mad when shot. The manual said it was because they all carried a bomb inside their body or whatever to prevent tech from falling in the wrong hands... I always found it a cheap excuses to add more explosions...

Stormtrooper armor was fitted with air filters and fully sealed against chemical and biological attack; the armor could even protect the wearer against vacuum for a limited time. A back-mounted tank contained 20 minutes of emergency oxygen. The aforementioned body glove also provided limited thermal protection.

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Stormtrooper_armor

Supposedly taken from The New Essential Guide to Weapons and Technology

Stormtrooper armor was fitted with air filters and fully sealed against chemical and biological attack; the armor could even protect the wearer against vacuum for a limited time. A back-mounted tank contained 20 minutes of emergency oxygen. The aforementioned body glove also provided limited thermal protection.

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Stormtrooper_armor

Supposedly taken from The New Essential Guide to Weapons and Technology

Yeah, which is why in the movies we see everyone's chin from under the helmets. A pox on those books.

Yeah, which is why in the movies we see everyone's chin from under the helmets. A pox on those books.

Well, the hanger bays were also "sealed" and you can see right out that big gaping whole in the wall. B)

Just sayin'... maybe what we consider "sealed" would look different in a galaxy where forcefields and such exist.

(TRYING to give them the benefit of the doubt! hahaha... make it work man...) :D

Well, the hanger bays were also "sealed" and you can see right out that big gaping whole in the wall. B)

Just sayin'... maybe what we consider "sealed" would look different in a galaxy where forcefields and such exist.

(TRYING to give them the benefit of the doubt! hahaha... make it work man...) :D

considering, emergency force shields is how they explain away x-wing pilot helmets having no faceplate, and the pilots not dying instantly if they go EV, that's pretty much what I've always chalked it up to.

as I understood it after reading something about boba fett´s armor if the armor detects a radical change in atmosphere the armor seals up immediately. perhaps the ribbed neckseal swollens to seal the helmet at the rubber liner??

or the helmet rubber liner is actually expandable to completely seal the helmet at the neckseal.

if that is the case and the canister is indeed an oxygen tank then the oxygen is administered through the bodysuit, not the armor and the 2 hour extra oxygen would run through unseen ducts and come out the neckseal filling the helmet with fresh air for the helmet filters to run and keep the soldier alive breathing and not choking to death with poisoned air.

damn... i should write those damned books again! LOL