Why paint the inside of the bucket black?

I agree with Manny, but the reason i did mostly with my secind helmet was that at 6 ft ( Bolivia) i am a gaint ( not really, but there are few ppl my size) and many ppl as they would come to talk could see right up into my helmet, and sooner or later they would say something along the line " hey there stuff in his helmet" or " hey theres the radio that makes him talk like that........

And they would ask if they could see inside the helmet...........

Thats why i painted my lid Black.

I agree, and forgot to mention that part as well. Most of the time little kids look up under the helmet and will see your face/facial hair/bucket accessories and will start calling you a fake, etc... After getting a good neck seal, balaklava, and painting the helmet interior black, noone has said anything about me be "fake". It just looks more proffessional in my opinion, and it helps give an impression that the helmet is "sealed" and not just a helmet.

Edit: Velcro, your avatar is awesome :)

Flat..... but i really dont think it would matter........ Hmmmmm ... no either one should do fine. but think flat just in case u are trooping on a sunny day and are doing it on or over pale or light floor, that could catch light...... ( spliting hairs here :P )

Yeah i see why some people like to paint the inside of their lids black, to stop people seeing up inside and what not..

But i never had the inclination to do this on any of my lids, a because you can not see up inside my lid and b its not scrren accurate.

I like my stuff to be as close to the film props as possible, which is not to everyone's taste.. star shapped foam, check, flimsy green lens, check, elastic chin trap, check you get the idea :)

Yeah i see why some people like to paint the inside of their lids black, to stop people seeing up inside and what not..

But i never had the inclination to do this on any of my lids, a because you can not see up inside my lid and b its not scrren accurate.

I like my stuff to be as close to the film props as possible, which is not to everyone's taste.. star shapped foam, check, flimsy green lens, check, elastic chin trap, check you get the idea :)

Check lol can i see a pic of the inside of your dome Firebladejedi

elastic chin strap?????

I painted my older FX bucket innards black because when a picture is taken, since the interior is a dark environment, you eyes wont show in the picture thru the lenses basically.

it also looks cool.

I'm with Mark. I prefer a KISS approach. :D

It's more screen accurate, less work and cheaper.

I agree with the darkness for photos, and for people peeking up underneath. I used a spray rubber coating for mine which helps with sound dampening too. (that and it just looks cool!)

if you buy a lid where the plastic is quite thin you should paint it white first inside this will decrease the opacity of the plastic,this will inturn stop the black paint from making the plastic looking to dark from the outside

i have just done this on a helmet recently ,at first the black paint made my helmet look grey against my armour,so i painted it white first on the inside, let this dry then painted over this with the black...job sorted

hope this may help someone..... ;)

if you buy a lid where the plastic is quite thin you should paint it white first inside this will decrease the opacity of the plastic,this will inturn stop the black paint from making the plastic looking to dark from the outside

i have just done this on a helmet recently ,at first the black paint made my helmet look grey against my armour,so i painted it white first on the inside, let this dry then painted over this with the black...job sorted

hope this may help someone..... ;)

BUM!!!

I just sprayed my new lid last night but haven't checked it yet as it at my girlfriends, but i didn't do a white coat first, I hope it's now not grey!!!!!!

:(

I did it because a) I think it looks cool, and B) I feel it helps my eyes focus on what´s outside the helmet, when I don´t have the white insides of the bucket in my peripheral vision all the time.

Word of advice: After you´ve finished with the black (I used a satin variant), you might wanna seal it with a couple of layers of clear coat...I didn´t, and on my first troop, after I took my helmet off, I looked like I just crawled out of a coal cellar. When I did my second helmet, I emptied a whole spray can of clear coat into it, just to make sure.

Very nice Jeremy!!! that must of made the helmet very sturdy!! did u apply to each piece separatly and then build the lid or did u apply it to a finished helmet, i looks like u did it on piece at a time.

Very nice Jeremy!!! that must of made the helmet very sturdy!! did u apply to each piece separatly and then build the lid or did u apply it to a finished helmet, i looks like u did it on piece at a time.

The helmet was built when I got it. However, I took it all apart, tweaked it to my liking, sprayed it, and assembled it the way I wanted. So yeah, I did it one piece at a time. It would be easier with a new bucket b/c you wouldn't have as many masking issues as I did since it wouldn't be cut out or dremeled yet.

Thanks for the compliment by the way. It did a little heft to the bucket as well.

Where you get the rubber spray or liner spray

I use Plasti-Dip. It's available as either brush-on or spray-on, and comes in black, white, red, yellow, and a couple other colours. Just about any hardware store should carry it or be able to special order it. I use black and white spray-on for just about everything. :)

--Jonah

Lets stay on track.

Remember that the thread is about the Pros/Cons/why`s and hows of painting the inside of the lids.

Even thou theses pics and info are great and all info regarding any build is very importante, there are threads for theses and all this info that is not pertaning to this thread could be exchanged via PM. ;)

Thx u kids for putting up with this old Fart, thread joykilller :P

Its My thread so we do what i want lol ....... :D

Mr buzz killington