Why paint the inside of the bucket black?

Velcro said:
Check lol can i see a pic of the inside of your dome Firebladejedi

Ok i was cleaning my helmet earlier today ( :P ) and took some pics for you. This was detailed by Rolf TD 252 but all my lids look the same inside :)

The first 3 pics are my helmet and the bottom one is an original esb i think?

zjId5Vz.jpg

TsaeU3y.jpg

fTa8VXM.jpg

oUmO3EJ.jpg

I have my theories but I'd like to here from the masses please...

Why Do you paint the inside black?

Yeah i see why some people like to paint the inside of their lids black, to stop people seeing up inside and what not..

But i never had the inclination to do this on any of my lids, a because you can not see up inside my lid and b its not scrren accurate.

I like my stuff to be as close to the film props as possible, which is not to everyone's taste.. star shapped foam, check, flimsy green lens, check, elastic chin trap, check you get the idea :)

Hey, but it is not black................ :P:lol:

Damn right its not :D

I beginning to see the attraction of a black interior.....

Over here in the UK, with have plasti-kote paint/spray, I think the way forward is to first spray or paint the inside of the lid with white primer, just to ensure there is an extra barrier between the black coat and the plastic shell... and then blast it with matt black paint.... and finish off with clear lacquer... I'm also toying with the idea of using non-slip mat material for the inside of my lid.... decisions, decisions.... :D

I found that darkening out the inside of the helmet allows you to go with a lighter shade of lens.

As I work in the welding game, I have access to the shade 3 or 5 screens...and able to experiment.

Shade 5 I found was too dark, especially when trooping indoors, but meant you could leave the interior white as people couldn't see in, even via camera flash.

With the lighter '3', visiblity was much more improved, especially indoors but had to darken the inside to help reduce people seeing in... and it worked....and still does 5 years on.

• Like 1

Interesting point there regarding the shade 3 & 5 lens. I have a shade 5 welders goggles and yes indeed they are uber dark, indoors looks as though one is 20000feet under the sea..... :o

I'll experiment and see what the black/dark grey nonslip mat does to the inside of mine... otherwsie i may use satin black plati-kote paint... According to their website they recommend a primer first (white I guess to stop any black frm coming through), then the first coat of black, then the second coat of black and then clear lacquer on top...

Does painting the interior of the helmet makes it any hotter in there? I'm in the tropics and heat is always the problem.

I think not, the Outside is white ;) ......many Guys got fans in the helmet.

Apart from this......this would be to recommend ;):D

• 2 months later...

Related question: If I've already cut out the teeth and painted them and all, what would be the best way to mask it to ensure that paint doesn't spill through/around the edges/etc when I paint the inside of the bucket?

I'm totally new to this, so any recommendations and explanations would be really welcome. Thanks!

I used a small brush and brush painted the inside with flat black, a couple of coats. I used RUST-OLEUM Painter's Touch Flat black that I picked up from the local hardware store. It came in an 8 oz can and did the trick, also it cleaned up with soap and water real easy. Also no fumes after it dried.

• 1 year later...

if you buy a lid where the plastic is quite thin you should paint it white first inside this will decrease the opacity of the plastic,this will inturn stop the black paint from making the plastic looking to dark from the outside

i have just done this on a helmet recently ,at first the black paint made my helmet look grey against my armour,so i painted it white first on the inside, let this dry then painted over this with the black...job sorted

hope this may help someone..... ;)

good idear! thanks.

(question for anyone) does it matter what type of white primer? doesn't some spray paint harm ABS plastic?

thanks

(question for anyone) does it matter what type of white primer? doesn't some spray paint harm ABS plastic?

Any white primer should work fine. There is no paint I know of that damages abs plastic. Spray paint does contain acetone but it's such a low amount that it won't cause damage.

Edited by TrooperTim