Draft CRL for the TK Commander - 501st base stds

Daetrin

From the new reference material, it looks like my arm stripes and butt plate are incorrect, but the rest of my paint is correct to th game. The unfortunate part is with all the effort put into weathering, I doubt I'll go back to correct them. The public at large won't know...and likely wont know the character anyhow. And I have other more canon costumes I've moved on to to get right...

In the end, it's whether you are happy with your personal costume. If so, then great. If it's good enough for the 501st all the better.

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They are suppose to be white

alot of people jumped the gun and painted their armor before doing proper research into it and now we have the group who painted there armor allready based off the toys and are now argueing theirs is right. Ugh...

for EIB at least i think the stripes should follow the in game references not the renders or the toys or models

My point was not that the other sources are right...it's that they weren't wrong. The character as a concept may have been introduced in the game, but we have books, graphic novels, toys, etc. all as additional references. I just didn't think all of those should be thrown out. thru my entire build and legion approval, I made it very clear it was based on the sideshow pattern, knowing it differed from the game versions. it is what it is and it was approved as such. shrug.

The render doesn't match the game which is the problem and that makes me a little iffy about the render and its accuracy. It could be a pre-visualization which is what they sent to the toy companies as their guide which would explain the different striping.

Assuming the game is accurate. The fact that the lower back plate in the game is free from markings suggests that they have made an error with the skin. It appears on every other reference. It's reminiscent of the first battle front game, where the scouts are running around without knee armour, clearly it should have been included in the game.

My costume's paint scheme is modelled on the hasbro figure. I painted it in September last year for a Force Unleashed promo. The Figure was only 1 of 3 visual references available to me at the time. The other two were figures which weren't as detailed.

It is painted traditional Royal Blue, RGB (0, 35, 102), which is a close match to the paint used on the figure, while I don't don't know for sure, the Duplicolor Royal Blue seems to be much lighter.

As mentioned earlier, 501st approval for the Stormtrooper Commander should be based the accurate representation of the reference you have chosen, whether that reference be the SSC, the hasbro or the game reference.

Assuming the game is accurate.

The fact that the lower back plate in the game is free from markings suggests that they have made an error with the skin. It's reminicent of the first battle front game, where the scouts are running around without knee armour, clearly it should have been included in the game.

Since there was no stormtrooper commander before the game i find it hard that they made an error and left something out.

I highly doubt there are any errors in the force unleashed. Remember that the lead developers for battlefront were from Pandemic Studios, not lucasarts. Lucasarts however was the lead developer of the PS3 and XBox360 versions of the force unleashed, it highly unlikely that anything in such a polished game as force unleashed was a "mistake" or "left out"

Also remember that the action figure is based on the game not the other way around so i find it difficult to think that the game could be leaving elements of the character out. The studios provided visual renders to hasbro long before the game was completed so that hasbro could have the line of figures finished and ready to ship before the release of the game.

The Stormtrooper commander action figure was a promo handed out to the first customers who purchased the game when it was released at the stores. This would mean that the action figure had to go through production long before the game was finalised and the final design of the stormtrooper commander was implemented.

I however agree that for 501st requirements if the costume displays a pattern "similar" to that of the game or recognizable as such then it should be accepted. However for EIB requirements it should match the game.

We are a group that costumes as characters from the star wars universe, not hasbro action figures.

it highly unlikely that anything in such a polished game as force unleashed was a "mistake" or "left out"

Actually there is a list of programing glitches in TFU so it's possible the character not having a painted lower back plate is one of them.

We are a group that costumes as characters from the star wars universe, not hasbro action figures.

The figure was based on the artwork of the stormtrooper commander for the game and was the best visual reference at the time. If the game was out at that stage I would've probably used that. Why does the fact that it was a Hasbro figure make a difference?

Actually there is a list of programing glitches in TFU so it's possible the character not having a painted lower back plate is one of them.

If your upset because you painted your armor differently then the actual game, why dont you just fix it instead of constantly coming up with ways to justify it?

If they allready had a model built and skinned (The Render) how could they forget to put a stripes on? IF they intended the commander to look that way then they would have just used that model instead of the one in the game?

The figure was based on the artwork of the stormtrooper commander for the game and was the best visual reference at the time. If the game was out at that stage I would've probably used that. Why does the fact that it was a Hasbro figure make a difference?

No

The figure was based on a render of a possible stormtrooper model which has been posted several times. Even so, we do not base our costumes off Ralph Macquarie's artwork of stormtroopers, we base them off of the stormtrooper from the film which is the final version and the stormtrooper as is. As such the stormtrooper commander in the game is the equivalent of the stormtrooper commander as is.

Why does it being a hasbro figure make a difference?

Do some research on the long sad history of star wars figures and inaccuracies.

If your upset because you painted your armor differently then the actual game, why dont you just fix it instead of constantly coming up with ways to justify it?

I don't have to justify it, I've used a visual reference as I said.

then what was the purpose to declaring the in game commander a mistake?

that they left the lower back plate unpainted on the stormtrooper commander as a skin error? It's still a possibility and certainly needs to be taken into consideration.

It's very simple chaps. If you've matched what's in the game; consider that canon. If you matched a figure, you need to look up the 501st's policy on what you can base your costume on for clearance.

For example, Mr. No-Stripes is a clearable and troopable Stormtrooper variant. He appeared in the film. Was it a mistake? Most likely, but it's there, on film and acceptable. You may have to argue the point with some, but your reference material is clear.

The reference material that matters here is the game.

I'll disagree on "no stripes". He's considered a prop department flub in my area at least, and not a valid variant.

Then we'll agree to disagree? As far as I'm concerned. If it's onscreen it's valid, flub or not, you just have to use your common sense when selecting your unique variant. ;) Not helping am I. I'll shut up now. :)

that they left the lower back plate unpainted on the stormtrooper commander as a skin error? It's still a possibility and certainly needs to be taken into consideration.

Lets not forget

- the hand plates that are white instead of blue

- The size and number of stripes on the biceps and forearms

- the placement of the stripes on the boots

Also howabout the fact that the action figure has a clonetrooper head underneath his helmet even though none of the stormtroopers in the game are clones.

Thats an aweful lot of differences to be mistakes...

Personally i like the back plate painted better but thats just not how its suppose to be.

The render is a nice model, but I'll take the screen caps over them any day. I agree that I like the kidney painted better, but you can't see it on multiple screen caps.

There are few variations of the model as noted: sideshow, screen caps, etc. Perhaps we should just create a base and then allow variation, e.g. saying that the kidney plate is acceptable painted or unpainted.

The thigh stripes really seem to show up everywhere but the LFL render, so perhaps they should be required in all variants.

More pics.. when i was playing the TFU, the Commander just stopped still as if he was frozen, not good for game play admittedly but it enabled me to get some nicer close up shots. I have more somewhere...

EbZDI3H.jpg

m6SYwn7.jpg

Cet0v85.jpg

syfPCzw.jpg

Also howabout the fact that the action figure has a clonetrooper head underneath his helmet even though none of the stormtroopers in the game are clones.

It's pretty common conception that the TKCs were old clones still around at the time of the stormtroopers. More than one of the books out make mention of that.

It's pretty common conception that the TKCs were old clones still around at the time of the stormtroopers. More than one of the books out make mention of that.

well not in the game it would seem, unless the Jango clones had their vocal cords tweaked.

In fact most of the troopers in the game sound exactly like the ones in the original trilogy which would lead me to believe that they are either clones of someone else or the distortion caused by the comm in their helmets makes their voices indifferent.

I don't have a very good setup for taking screen caps, but the best place in the game I've seen for seeing the TK Commander up close is the level where you have escape from the medical bay (name escapes me at the moment). You have to fight several of them in the level and it's easy to wipe out the other enemies and get them cornered so you can get some close looks at them.

I don't have a very good setup for taking screen caps, but the best place in the game I've seen for seeing the TK Commander up close is the level where you have escape from the medical bay (name escapes me at the moment). You have to fight several of them in the level and it's easy to wipe out the other enemies and get them cornered so you can get some close looks at them.

Imperial Raxus Prime is loaded with them especially towards the end.

• 2 weeks later...
well not in the game it would seem, unless the Jango clones had their vocal cords tweaked.

In fact most of the troopers in the game sound exactly like the ones in the original trilogy which would lead me to believe that they are either clones of someone else or the distortion caused by the comm in their helmets makes their voices indifferent.

Unless they could not get Temuera Morrison to lend his voice to the game...