AP vs RT MOD

Hello,

I am in the market for some TK armor and have done quite a bit research into the different types of armor kits. I have narrowed my choices down to two that I believe are readily available and I feel really have that Stormtrooper feel. The kits are the AP kit and the RT Mod kit. I was wondering if anyone has experience with these kits and could tell me about their pros and cons and their experiences with these kits. I don?t know if I can ask about specific kits but I was hoping to get some feed back about them before I lay my money down for one.

Thanks and I look forward to joining the ranks!

Seth

Both Kits are nice! I believe the basic differences of the two kits is that the AP fits a specific size body, such as the guys in the original trilogy, and the RT alows for extra room, because not all of us fit that body type...but I could be wrong :unsure:

I guess I was lucky that I'm 6' 180lbs so my first kit - FX - fit me perfectly w/o any adjustment. That said, after having to help people who are not that size (e.g. smaller) with theirs and all the trimming/fitting that's involved, I don't see why anyone under 5'10" would ever consider an FX kit anymore.

The FX had it's day in the sun but IMHO given the current pricing/ease of which you can get more accurately proportioned armor, I just can't recommend FX anymore unless that person is over 6' or has extra girth that needs accommodating.

That said, after having to help people who are not that size (e.g. smaller) with theirs and all the trimming/fitting that's involved, I don't see why anyone under 5'10" would ever consider an FX kit anymore.

This ties with the other discussion about how the majority of the legion, including the 'shorties' are fine with the FX. The general attitude was yeah, they knew it was inaccurate and yeah, they were aware of better suits out there - but most of them seemed to be in no rush to upgrade anytime soon. For me it was a learning process to move from something entirely FX to a hybridized RT mod chest and TE2 lid, and LOTS of time with the heat gun. This option suited my own money/time constraints without shelling either out on a whole new suit. I chose RT when some guys in the Canadian garrisons raved about it and put me in contact with the seller. Quick response and up front about everything sealed the deal for me.

I guess I was lucky that I'm 6' 180lbs so my first kit - FX - fit me perfectly w/o any adjustment. That said, after having to help people who are not that size (e.g. smaller) with theirs and all the trimming/fitting that's involved, I don't see why anyone under 5'10" would ever consider an FX kit anymore.

The FX had it's day in the sun but IMHO given the current pricing/ease of which you can get more accurately proportioned armor, I just can't recommend FX anymore unless that person is over 6' or has extra girth that needs accommodating.

I secod that! :salute:

I've just finished my first TK kit , an FX kit . I have to agree :( . I'm happy with the armour , I'm 5'10' and quite solid . It fits nicely , but the bucket is massive . I'm now looking to get myself something better bucketwise .I've looked everywhere ( ok , I've used google ) , and I can't find anywhere that sells AP or RT mod kits . I don't want to rely on one coming up on the big auction site . Could any of you ladies and gentlemen pm me an e-mail addy or website where these little beauties are available . Eventually I'll replace all of the FX kit , but for now the most important thing is the helmet .

Thanks in advance ,

Dave .

RT is public info - http://www.rt-mod.com/. AP's info I keep only for 501st members.

<puts site admin hat on>

Perhaps if you'd care to send me a link to your 501st I'll update your status on the boards and send it to you ;-)

Edited by gmrhodes13
link not working, removed gmrhodes13 2021

Thanks ,It's my lucky day !

Please check here :)

----------

Edited by gmrhodes13
link not working, removed gmrhodes13 2021

OK, can I jump on the bandwagon and make the same request? I just finished my first set of FX, and I am also happy with it, but I can certainly see the reason to explore and improve it without purchasing another armor set (even if I knew where to do that).

Here is my info as well, if you would not mind, I would appreciate a PM as well, and any other info you would be willing to share with a brand new TK.

------------

Thanks,

Edited by gmrhodes13
link not working removed

Honestly, I still go with the FX because it is significantly cheaper than AP or RT. I have the RT helmet now because of that whole FX-Frankenstein-Bobblehead thing. I know that one day, I do want to go to either of those kits because I am one of the smaller guys, but money's still pretty tight.

But I do so enjoy being able to turn my head left and right now.... :)

Thanks. That is good to hear. My biggest "question" is always how does one actually make comparisons? When I started looking, all I found was FX armor, and the prices all seemed to be close to the same ($600 - $800). I got mine on the low end, and I am very happy with it. I am exploring things like a leather/canvas belt, replacing the ab buttons (Thanks Steve!!), and a left hand holster, among other things.

These mods are easy to find, but I have yet to find what a full set of RT or AP armor would be. Maybe it is more about asking the producers, but I hate asking specific questions to people who are very busy about products I might not buy, nor be able to afford.

I guess my wish would be some form of Armor Store, where everyone had their armor listed, price and all. I know that is unrealistic, but it would sure beat buying armor, building it, then finding out thru a series of secret passages and handshakes there is a whole lot more available.

Now before anyone gets upset, I have learned TONS from this forum and others. I would be so lost without many of the people here, and a few other forums, and some of them I have to thanks for helping me make wise decisions. I only hope to be able to continue to learn and explore, as well as continue to add to and experience the thrill of building TK (and possibly TD) armor.

Regardless of the controversy, that SDS armor is still pretty nice. Personally, I enjoy putting my armor together. I actually take my time to savor the process. Once it's done, it's over, and I'm left wanting to work on another project and spend a bunch of money. Buying from SDS is like cheating. Kinda takes the fun out of it.

Honestly, I still go with the FX because it is significantly cheaper than AP or RT. I have the RT helmet now because of that whole FX-Frankenstein-Bobblehead thing. I know that one day, I do want to go to either of those kits because I am one of the smaller guys, but money's still pretty tight.

Actually, I know that AP was producing armor w/a cheaper plastic & the kit w/shipping was going for around the same price as FX. I do not know if he is still producing the kits w/the PVC plastic or if it was a 1 time attempt but if you're considering a change of armor you may want to investigate.

Actually, I know that AP was producing armor w/a cheaper plastic & the kit w/shipping was going for around the same price as FX. I do not know if he is still producing the kits w/the PVC plastic or if it was a 1 time attempt but if you're considering a change of armor you may want to investigate.

That project never made it off the ground. I know alot of people were looking forward to it.

It's pretty rare that I'd disagree with Rome, but this is that instance. From what I've been hearing, getting a full set of RT isn't much more than getting an FX kit and upgrading the bucket. AP has addressed many of the quality concerns that came up in the past year or so as well, making that a more viable option.

My love of my FX kit is partly nostalgic, partly comfort, and partly fear. It was my first armor kit and being 6' 175lbs it fit me perfectly and comfortably out of the box with no modification. What if that non-FX I had my eye on doesn't hold up as well, or takes more work to fit correctly? It's pretty hard to give up something that has served one so well over so many troops and is only unacceptable to accuracy freaks (:D), so I can see why many don't want to swap out their FX armor.

That said, if one was starting from scratch I don't think the cost advantage of FX is really as pronounced as it once was, especially when most everyone is upgrading the helmet anyway.

How big of a deal is trimming out armor? I know that RT comes trimmed and AP comes untrimmed. That is another difference between the kits that could be a factor in helping me decide. I have some basic modeling skill but I haven?t worked on anything as big as armor?

Both kits sound like good kit.

Seth