Star Trek vs. Star Wars

Sandman

This article was from today's Toronto Star...

http://www.thestar.com/entertainment/movies/article/632151

.. its funny how the two franchises are constantly getting pitted against one another. I myself like both. I notice that this rivalry is getting more and more prominent every day, I'm not sure how to feel about that. I guess it's OK as long as nobody's feelings get hurt. I dont really agree with this article, the writer is forgetting that "The Clone Wars" was made primarily for a younger audience, and also the three Star Wars prequils are not as bad as he seems to suggest. The final part of the article seems to be correct, there does seem to be more Star Wars costumes than Trekie costumes at the Cons, but of course there are alot most costumes to choose from in Star Wars. Any thoughts on weather this rivalry is good or bad ???

I don't rerally get it either. I like both as well. The new movie was a lot of fun! Anyone go see it this weekend?

I saw it last Thursday and thought it was great. I'm a fan of Star Trek TOS and was pleased with this version. It wasn't a dead on "remake" of TOS, but I don't think that was the directors/producers intent. However, Karl Urban's portrayal of Dr. McCoy was very close to the original.

The comparison between Star Wars and Star Trek is old and tired. Besides, they aren't even the same genre of entertainment. Trek is Sci-Fi, Wars is Science-Fantasy. It's apples and oranges. You may as well compare Blade Runner with Harry Potter, for cryin' out loud. I like Trek and Wars, but for different reasons. This is all just media hype. They have to come up with some reason to get people thinking about the movies so they can get the box office sales up.

Whatev. The new Kirk is just a ripoff Han Solo anyways. Chris Pine has even stated that Harrison Ford was his inspiration for Kirk so he wouldn't come off as a Shatner clone.

LOL, I was gonna mention, that I saw the movie last Friday, and my only quirk was the performance of Chris Pine, pretty much all the other actor stayed true to the personalities of the orginal cast (especially Macoy), except Chris Pine who seemed to off doing his own thing. Not that his performance was bad, it was'nt... I just would have prefered to see a little bit of William Shatner in his performance... just a bit of that old Captain Kirk magic. :)

LOL, I was gonna mention, that I saw the movie last Friday, and my only quirk was the performance of Chris Pine, pretty much all the other actor stayed true to the personalities of the orginal cast (especially Macoy), except Chris Pine who seemed to off doing his own thing. Not that his performance was bad, it was'nt... I just would have prefered to see a little bit of William Shatner in his performance... just a bit of that old Captain Kirk magic. :)

POSSIBLE SPOILERS -- BE WARNED:

But if you think about the plot of the movie, he probably has the most latitude to go for something different from Shatner. After all, the beginning of the movie likely affects him the most. We never get to see the young Shatner Kirk because the timeline of that character has been so drastically altered. The Shatner Kirk would have been raised by his father, who was a model officer, and been motivated by him to join Starfleet. The Pine Kirk was raised by a stepfather, was clearly even more rebellious (than say Shatner's Kirk) as a result, and turned out very differently -- including his attitude towards Starfleet. He still had the charm and the smarm, so I liked it.

And as someone who was raised by an asshat stepfather myself, I can vouch for the difference that can make in someone's attitudes and upbringing. lol

Fortunately, I turned out okay, too. ;)

I admit I am not a Star Trek fan at all but I am aware of the details and story lines because my father is. So he is always wanting to battle SW Vs ST. I went and saw the Trek movie and loved it. I will openly admit I liked it better than the new Star Wars...Oh my Gawd I said it. My take on the New kirk is he is young and a punk and we all saw kirk done by oh come on priceline oscar time acting. I think Pine actually nailed what Kirk was suppose o be. ha

-Steve

However, Karl Urban's portrayal of Dr. McCoy was very close to the original.

I couldn't agree more. The hair, the make up, the way he talked, the mannerisms was dead on. I'll be going to see this again with my father this week or weekend. He's the one who got me into to all this Sci-Fi stuff! :P

I have to say both have elements of space opera in them running the gamut of character flaws, tragedy, heroism, yadda yadda yadda... Ultimately in my view, it all depends on how the plot is developed and if the dialog is credible in the screenplay. Cooler costumes don't necessarily make a movie franchise better if the acting or dialog sucks. Haven't seen the new ST yet but word on the geekvine is that it does deliver both trekkies and trekkie-loving SW fans their fix.

aaaargh! It's all over for Star TREK!

Just read the linked article and much of the commentary flying around about the new Star Trek prequel. I'm leery of armchair sociologists writing to make a deadline. If - as seems likely - that Trek becomes the next pop touchstone for explaining every cultural nuance and hiccup, they'll kill the thing. It's the kiss of death.

There were a few days when the movie Forrest Gump was entertaining. Then it was saddled as the anthem for the baby boomer generation. Pathetic.

Stupid. Two different things. I'm a fan of both. I just saw the new movie which was a blast. Why must we take sides? It's kind of like saying if you like Cantelope you have no business eating Watermelon. Come on! Really?

I went to see the movie a couple of days ago, and I must say it was very well done. However, if I were to try to understand the comparison of the two, I would simply look at the popularity and avalability of prop recreations. I would also see the value in evaluating and comparing forums for a strictly statistical and social purpose. That said, I would not begine to understand how the two can be compared based on the genre and subject content. :td:

Stupid. Two different things. I'm a fan of both. I just saw the new movie which was a blast. Why must we take sides? It's kind of like saying if you like Cantelope you have no business eating Watermelon. Come on! Really?