Oversized accurate helmet

I got to thinking, one of the biggest reasons people love the FX helmet is because it's big enough for a big melon plus electronics, fans, etc.... So would people be interested in an FX sized accurate helmet if one existed?

Post your thoughts.

As a glasses-wearing melon headed trooper. I would love a larger sized, but accurate bucket. I can wear an MRCE, but not with my glasses on. I've tried on an AP and couldn't even get it halfway on without hearing the plastic straining.

I'd be interested.

Like the others, I just tried my first AP and I can barely get my head in.

Yeah same problem here. I am building my first set of armor (FX) and have ordered some different parts here and there but am finishing the bucket now. I want a more accurate bucket but on a troop today, I tried a friend's AP on my big melon and it was very tight to say the least. I had to move it back and forth a few times lol but I was able to get it on. I am trying to decide between an AP or TE2, as long as I can get it on and off, I can deal with it lol.

If this would be for EIB acceptance,

I would not be opposed to slightly over-sized helmets (so long as it is accurate looking,) because there are times when people want to take pics, even though your taking a break, and they wont leave until you put your lid back on... After trying on an accurate helmet, it seems like its better to keep the lid on, as it's difficult to take it on and off.

Mike...

Which Kevin? :)

Terrell...

What all makes the FX inaccurate? I don't have my kit yet, so I wouldn't even know where to begin. Can it be modded?

The FX helmet is based on a fan sculpted mold which is larger than the one used in the movies. What makes it unaccurate is the size and the overall shape of the helmet.

Check out www.starwarshelmets.com for the comparison pictures B)

Kevin makes a decently accurate helmet that is larger and I believe version 3.0 just came out a while back.

I know Kev makes a nice helmet, I've promoted the heck out of it (mostly on the Legion boards). But what I was wondering was something in line with AP/TE2/TM accurate but over sized and peoples thought about it.

Ah, the only grail for taller troopers - an ANH lid that is the size of an FX. I believe there certainly is a market for them. I also think there is a huge untapped market for black ABS regular sized ANH lids. Most every TX out there has FX because they don't want to paint.

Talk of scanning a TE/AP/TM and upsizing it that 5-10% has been kicked around for a long time - I've always wondered what prevented it from happening.

As for the FX helmet's inaccuracies, they relate to:

1) Shape of the dome - too flat and Frankenstein

2) Overly large tubes

3) Overly large eyes

Back when I started in 2005 no one told me about lids other than the FX. Once I found out, getting an AP was my first upgrade.

The TE helmets are a quite a bit bigger than the AP. Recasts of the TE (AP) are of course going to be smaller as the resin used can shrink up to 10 percent. I have seen many different makers helmets and the largest in my opinion would be either the fiberglass SFS helmet or the TE/TE2. They dont look bad on the tall guys. TK-1536 is like 6 something and he looks OK. Of course if you are big as in wider, then the whole get up can look weird sometimes. lol :)

You've held far more helmets in you hands than have I, but I haven't felt this to be the case. Between my AP, my garrison mate's RT, my two TE2s and my garrison mate's TE2, the "largest" and the "smallest" have both been the TE2. It seems the variance in how they are assembled and trimmed has far more effect on the size.

::unsure::

In the 7 I have had in my hands, the sizes would go like this...

FX, ANHv2, TE2, CAP, TM, MRCE, AP

An oversize scan of the helmet would be cool, as well as black.

I think the FX bucket is one of the uglyst helmet's in the world.

Like very old Don Post or Rubies helmet's.

There are no datails which match nearly to the movie ones.

The decals are ugly.

The eys looks like asian comic ones.

The teath are to big and not correct in shape.

The ears are wrong.

The complete shape of the helmet's are bad.

For a Fanmade ok, nice work maybe , because at this time as it was create it was one of the first armors which was to own.

But now ....there are much better ones for the same price.

So i think for EIB are these helemt's not acceptable.

I mean it's the "creme del la creme" of trooper's how are close to screen used outfits.

My point of view.

This is not not going to turn into a FX bash thread. The purpose of the thread was to get people discussing if they would like to see an accurate over sized helmet and their thoughts on it.