Elite with FX

Split the topic off from the CRL, as the elite program and the CRL project are not related.

But to answer your question, the FX is not eligible for elite because of the accuracy of the helmet. Size has nothing to do with it as we have several larger elites, and over sized helmets that are proportionate to screen helmets are acceptable as well. I'm 6'2" and I when I went elite I had an AP helmet.

• 4 weeks later...

I tried on an AP helmet at a recent event. i couldn't even get it on my head without hearing the plastic protesting. The previous owner was a "bit short for a stormtrooper", but I don't see my melon getting into an AP without some pretty heavy modifications.

Although I've never tried on an MR helmet, it looks larger than the AP.

I have an AP and love it (still miss that TE2 bucket... *sniff*). I guess I have a small head because I can get it onto my head while wearing glasses and having a built-in sound system. I think I can even cram in a fan or two in there if I need to, as well. I also have an RT helmet, and it is somewhat larger than the AP, but not as large as I thought (still smaller than the FX). Its also asymetrical, but not quite to the extent as the AP or TE2.

I too am 6'2 with a big ol' jughead. I wear an AP just fine. I had to open the bottom up a bit more and it's a "turn the helmet sideways first and screw it on" kind of affair but it goes on and off no problem. It's actually quite comfy. I have 2 fans, wire loom, 3 9v batteries, and a large switch box in there too. It's padded with T-ball helmet padding to keep it from moving. All of that and my big old gourd fits just fine. The donning and removing is the tricky part b/c you literally have to put the helmet on sideways and twist it back right as it comes down. Same for coming off.

• 4 months later...
I too am 6'2 with a big ol' jughead. I wear an AP just fine. I had to open the bottom up a bit more and it's a "turn the helmet sideways first and screw it on" kind of affair but it goes on and off no problem. It's actually quite comfy. I have 2 fans, wire loom, 3 9v batteries, and a large switch box in there too. It's padded with T-ball helmet padding to keep it from moving. All of that and my big old gourd fits just fine. The donning and removing is the tricky part b/c you literally have to put the helmet on sideways and twist it back right as it comes down. Same for coming off.

Exactly The AP Helmet will fit any size head no problem, like the movie original you have to put the helmet sideways and turn, just look at Luke and Han how they remove helmet, Harrison ford is not a small guy.

I'm 6'0" and did the AP and now TE2. RT is also making a slightly larger helmet than the ANH sized ones that is way more accurate than the FX. You can try him as well.

Haha this is me right here. I still use my FX for my TK (next on my list to replace) but I recently picked up a used AP for my TD build. I wear a 7 5/8 hat size and my head fits inside okay, just have to turn it sideways to get it down over my melon.

I don't know if that helps at all, but it's a pic I took about a year ago or so, showing a few different lids:

stormcompare.jpg

from left to right: TE, NGB, AP, MR CE, old MovieFX (german maker)

And a closer look at the three better lids (TE, NGB, AP):

stormcompare1.jpg

stormcompare2.jpg

You can see the AP is really on the small side... Sorry no RT Mod in those, thought it would help a little though

Here's a more recent one, with some more lids:

stormcomparenew.jpg

again f.l.t.r.: old MFX, new MFX, NGB, CAP, TE, AP

Wow, I love the sandtrooper one.

Meh, I more and more find sandtroopers so cool. I hope I'll get enough money someday to buy a new set of armor and go TD. I don't wanna weather my current TK armor (especially the helmet).

• 2 weeks later...