My DLT-19 build

dblcross

Working trigger

My only issue now is speaker placement. Not sure how I'm going to handle this.   https://i.imgur.com/tJuueLJ.mp4

sqcCd6S.jpg

With this 3D print, There are not a lot of options without a lot of hacking it up. At this point, I almost want to give up on the electronics. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated. Maybe a smaller speaker

Edited by dblcross

Ok! After talking it out with my son, the butt stock is the only option for the speaker that I had from the Grevious blaster. This is going to be a fun gun for trooping and not 100% accurate so why not! After seeing @gmrhodes13 scratch build, I feel confident enough that if a ruin the stock I can replicate it with wood so I'm going for it.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, dblcross said:

Ok! After talking it out with my son, the butt stock is the only option for the speaker that I had from the Grevious blaster. This is going to be a fun gun for trooping and not 100% accurate so why not! After seeing @gmrhodes13 scratch build, I feel confident enough that if a ruin the stock I can replicate it with wood so I'm going for it.

On a couple of builds there have been no room for a speaker, I normally add a 3.5 av jack directly to the speaker wires, you can then run a cable from your amp/chest, down your arm, out at the wrist then plugs into the blaster. Works out really well for conventions as it's nice and loud :D

Sucess! So I've seen what an aggressive drill bit or hole saw can do to a 3D-printed part. Because of that, I'll be using a diamond-coated Hole saw that I use to cut glass and ceramic tile. with a little water, It worked great.

qUaOdVp.jpgto7qTc2t4.jpg

These hole saws do not have a pilot bit to keep it steady so I built up layers of electrical tape to hold it steady. then off to the sink to slowly drill the stock, starting in reverse to help the bit make a groove it'll ride in.

Kwun7gt.jpg4ZOLDSQ.jpgIsGzADV.jpgQPgxSxJ.jpgnAuvQP4.jpg

Next, I use a flathead screwdriver to gently pry out the center circle and the inner Lattace of the print.

X9ps63o.jpg

Once that was done I drilled a hole out to run the wire from the stock to the handle.

OR9v2re.jpg

Using my dremel and sanding bit to smooth the edges out and Voila!

YeldpzZ.jpgW6mjFF2.jpg

I'll cover it later after all of the prep work is done with a piece of black mesh that we all use for our TK buckets. 

• Like 1

I had to come up for air from sanding and do something else, so I decided to tackle the battery box. There's really only one good spot to put it, so I traced it out and got my Dremel

vvjE5nb.jpgWtA5g6q.jpg

Over all it fits pretty well.

MJI9WKe.jpg2ekceHB.jpg

Next comes the Bondo! I don't want to put too much of it on at a time. I'll build it up slowly because the last thing I want to do is Bondo the cover to the box. Once I get it where I like, I'll sand everything around the box.

JOjq6ES.jpgMy hand ! I had no idea I looked so old!

Edited by dblcross

It definitely looks better. Bondo filler puddy is a lifesaver for repairing 3d print lines. I'm still not ready to paint. More sanding is needed but it's getting dark. I just wanted to highlight that you can fix almost any mistake with a  little filler puddy.:jc_doublethumbup:

8oGVkPV.jpgu88ptFZ.jpg

• Like 2

7 hours ago, dblcross said:

I feel like Elton John, I'm still sanding!

Maybe you should have become a Sand trooper :laugh1:

Blaster looks awesome, so the hard work is paying off Terry.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Sly11 said:

Blaster looks awesome

Thank you. There's only one problem... I glued the barrel together wrong in a haste. It's fixable.

Edited by dblcross

As they say, Proof is in the pudding. Before I can finish with the barrel prep work I need to get my Leds installed and more importantly, see if what I bought will work. I got these red fairy lights from Amazon that were 16 feet long. I'm a little apprehensive about how bright they will be because these leds require 3 AA batteries and my setup with this particular blaster the board needs 3 AAA's. I plan to fold the lights back and forth, the length of the barrel which will help with increasing the brightness of the lights. Hence the main reason I need to test this in the barrel. 

3d1D7gC.png

I must say, It worked great!

https://i.imgur.com/Gw35aFl.mp4

So with this 3d kit There is an inner support pvc tube for the barrel that was going to hamper me from getting the folded LEDS down the length of the barrel so I pulled out the Dremel with a grinding disk to notch out the area where the LEDS would not pass though. It was heartbreaking!

CUxBxo7.jpg

But never fear! Bondo paste is here! This can easily be fixed with a generous amount of Bondo paste sandpaper and needle files.

KKvAqbD.jpg

I'll let this cure overnight and work on sanding and shaping tomorrow. On a side note, this kit is missing a barrel part but I'm not too concerned because this is going to be a FUN gun for trooping and I've already got a great E-11 I can use for upper lvl approval when I get around to it. Can you point out the part? ( Elton John's sanding picture is the best place to see it!) I couldn't until it was too late which is par for the course for me. I'm good at fixing mistakes is all I'm saying! Thanks for the idea of using a toy guy for the electronics @gmrhodes13

Edited by dblcross
  • Like 1

I felt confident enough in my sanding to do some painting today.

fQjSmj5.jpg

Even went as far as to paint the stock and getting my speaker from the toy blaster wired in and glued into place.

2I4CR5U.jpgReDGqzO.jpg

I plan on cutting out a metal drywall repair patch the help protect the speaker. It just got painted and needs to dry, so I'll work on installing that tomorrow.

XBPCiC6.jpg

• Like 1

Here's an original bakerlite stock for reference, quite a few just paint them black but I like the bakerlite color

dscn3710.jpg

HuZJzod.jpg

5 hours ago, gmrhodes13 said:

Here's an original bakerlite stock for reference, quite a few just paint them black but I like the bakerlite color

dscn3710.jpg

HuZJzod.jpg

mpq3mNO.jpg

Looks like I got close to this look. I agree. All I did was dry brush some black acrylic paint on top of the milk chocolate brown. 

Edited by dblcross
  • Like 1

Really diggin' this build, and can't wait to see the finished blaster! Maybe I'll even get to see it someday in person if we ever troop together at a midpoint between us, like Nashville.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, MaskedVengeance said:

Really diggin' this build, and can't wait to see the finished blaster! Maybe I'll even get to see it someday in person if we ever troop together at a midpoint between us, like Nashville.

Wouldn't that be cool! Got the barrel and main body painted. The barrel has got 20' of red fairy lights in it! ( Cousin Eddie's Voice) That'll look real nice at night Clark!

uRf64CO.jpg

• Like 1

What are some of the best ways you've seen stocks connected to the barrel? I've already found out the hard way that just mating the pieces together doesn't work. I was holding the barrel and the stock fell off and broke the chocking lever of course.