Belt trimming RO / New Era

gmrhodes13

This subject has come up a few times with the RO / New Era armor and the belts, there is a standard belt and there are belts which have been trimmed to allow a little more movement (or because they have been broken). All of the angle cuts appear to be on the same angle although cut in different places.

Standard, straight across bottom of belt

corner2.png.21415e2b9c68498ed1393f0d5868db50.png

corner5.png.801d599d3a397a9a94364262c544a5e7.png

Trimmed / Angle cut

beltanglecut.thumb.png.9e01fa4c395287c1d10d424c0944f016.png

Even with the trimmed angle cut there are variants, trimmed in line of the corner of the second belt box, trimmed under the corner of second belt box, trimmed to meet the corner of the last belt box and trimmed on the inside of the second belt box

Trimmed in line of the corner of the second belt box

corner4.png.cad339c8506a9663eaa298cd801587f1.png corner9.png.34fbee3a206ab2f28f6475042d0c80d3.png

Under corner of second belt box

beltanglecut2.png.28872ab42d830ea916138a8238b42fcc.png

Angle cut before the last belt box

corner6.png.3cce4f94b2f157baca8a0f7057e8e28e.png

corner3.thumb.png.4d4e246af916dcf3f0eb50186c0ee3b7.png

Trimmed on the inside of the second belt box

corner8.png.053d3362a796c1a57aebee1dbd878c8f.png

So should some level of belt trimming be allowable in the CRL and for higher level acceptance?

• Like 4

We could make both acceptable as long as we have both images in the CRL's

Seems like always there are reason why some are modded or simply broken.

I think if it was clear it is a broken piece, then that is a costume malfunction and a no-go like gaffer tape etc.

Certainly plenty of references showing the lower tab and the interlocking parts across the top like a hero version??

Those cuts look deliberate to me, it looks like it's designed to taper in to match the cod. Why they are one some but not others? Pass, might be down to something like replacement belts and was forgotten?

I guess the argument would be have they been modified this way or trimmed once the belts had initially been cracked/broken, they are seen in RO and the promo images. 

You can definitely see how much punishment the tops of the thighs, cover strips and the belt takes, especially for those lower in height. They are also seen between all the movies and series with only one set of armor made, this may change due to the conversion to Night troopers so we may see new armor in future. Personally I think it's the strapping system being on the sides doesn't allow the same amount of movement than having strapping on the front.

Thighs hitting belt is pretty common. Even the trimmed belt on the left still will take a beating as the thigh is over the belt. Promo shot from Rogue One

415168605_774596167858086_3928166281421066361_n.thumb.jpg.6a080d4be49f7b6ef1f665145589e21a.jpg

large.4k-mandalorians01e08-starwarsscreencaps.com-2640.jpg.a8ebe9c37621125ea805b55ff8bf6598.thumb.jpg.11f6fca514aeb5ba85c54c013c2ff4ac.jpg

Even at a relatively slow pace the thighs get jammed on the belt

mandalorian2x08_1213.thumb.jpg.4cb0cfb65199bdd54fd6d3247312fe3c.jpg

hitting.thumb.jpg.ce904adae57b7138027effd3ebc56312.jpg

dM3KOwd.thumb.jpg.33903a5f16f8b45cedb7360031f9581b.jpg

Mangled belt

large.4k-mandalorians01e08-starwarsscreencaps.com-903.jpg.850ac255fd0e6b8b8e1e65eb5a1392e0.thumb.jpg.9f04aa81730f2d449f5c9cdb135fffee.jpg

Cracked areas on belt

large.4k-mandalorians01e08-starwarsscreencaps.com-2772.jpg.3694dcc1de4b8953cb4b3bd134fe6aa1.thumb.jpg.86af2ab2d6438e30f6f616ecb0866616.jpg

Missing thigh

cid.png.695b96397305655b957db97a0e03512a.png

Chewed cover strips

coverstrips.png.fb0b56c88a8a52574c1005710072a857.png  chewed.jpg.74e28a18e9bedfc3e4eab08ba1972cd1.jpg

28268758512_85237c6681_k.thumb.jpg.d55f471edcf18d8050652a2863376001.jpg

Coverstrip replacement

thing.thumb.jpg.38b7cf23b72d37995595a9428d84ff99.jpg

Lifted coverstrip

large.4k-mandalorians01e08-starwarsscreencaps.com-2638.jpg.ec5bfaf2a7ba613be94f857d93ebf16b.thumb.jpg.c9960d8f734fe65fac9be454b340f788.jpg

Here's one on a red carpet event with trimmed lower belt

gettyimages-629519116-1024x1024.thumb.jpg.9c21b814b911c7e907d1e15e7460d3b9.jpg

The whole lower ridge is missing on this belt. I would think this would be an accident not deliberate trimming 

straps.png.a25c8acf3ca361243022a1dc3d8a2c89.png

And on this night trooper

nighn.thumb.jpg.92b448be112774a08bb35991a309fe6b.jpg

I don't this trooper has to worry about his thighs hitting the belt

cover.png.748a39570e597ed476f1dcb92d1a4897.png

Certainly seeing the strip on the bottom of almost every screen cap, and image you have shared.

To me, this is meant to be there as part of the original design, so it should remain as an integral part of the costume.

As we don't focus on one-off or exact screen replication like MEPD, I suggest until we do, if ever, then the belt should remain as a complete and by far most common seen on screen part of the CRL.

Detachments standard CRL practice

4 hours ago, themaninthesuitcase said:

Those cuts look deliberate to me, it looks like it's designed to taper in to match the cod. Why they are one some but not others? Pass, might be down to something like replacement belts and was forgotten?

Huge +1 from me. The cuts are so clean and uniform, I don't think they're to hide damage. Some where made intentionally with this cut.  They were likely cut to prevent damage to both the belt and the thighs.

Ahh, I see what you mean, so the additional piece at the base of the belt is wider on some than on others, got it.

Should it matter if it is wider or narrower as seen in those images above, as long as it is there? I mean that could differ between makers and 3D files to a degree anyhow right, so does it matter?

Does it matter? well that would be the question, there is no allowance in the CRL currently to modify it so if someone builds to screen references they may be declined approval by their GML.

There is also the question of higher level approval, again not addressed in the CRL but there are quite a few references and unlike "Mr No Stripes" this is not a one off. Interested to hear form our @Deployment Officer Teamin regards to L2 and L3

Only reason I posted this is I know members have had conversations about this modification in a few build threads previously, plus this may also impact other CRL's depending on what happens with other new era costumes, so I was pre-empting what may come up later, albeit not my problem.

It is actually accurate to have the modified belt for the Artillery Trooper going on screen references so already a couple of our new Artillery CRL references are outdated, should it matter? well again that is the question, I'm just providing the information. TK_R1_belt.jpg

Angle cut/trimmed

corner3.png

Great reference below showing how the coverstrip fits nicely into this modded belt.

In this image you can see a bigger crack above the angle cut, we will have to wait and see if this trooper ever surfaces again to check if they addressed it.

6MTUNnR.jpg.36d5e32dece949ac704005b70b453376.thumb.jpg.9c7aeec822c964637e1f8525601e420d.jpg

So this comes back to my earlier post, if it is considered something minor, the CRL simply needs to reflect 2 images one with this lower strip, one without and a language update to reflect both are allowable.

It could be changed at basic and not mentioned in L2 or L3 so it is good across all levels and variations of this armour.

They were intentionally cut to allow more range of motion.

IMO, allow both since there is clearly precedent and don't let these things keep you up at night when there are already so few people building these kits to standard, let alone submitting them here.

Edited by TheRascalKing
  • Like 1

Here's the current R1 CRL text for the belt. Basic approval has the belt VERY wide open to modification with the current wording. The teeth aren't required till L2 and the 3-6mm edge isn't required till L3.

Belt
  • The Ammunition belt consists of a hard belt made of the same or similar material as the armor in two separate parts front and back (with overlap).
  • The back belt overlaps the front belt on the sides.
  • There are 6 ammunition boxes mounted to the belt.
  • There are 2 (one left and one right) drop boxes suspended by black webbing approximately 2" (50mm) wide. Drop boxes must be accurate in detail and proportion to official references.
  • The ammunition belt is accurate in detail and proportion to official references.

OPTIONAL Level two certification (if applicable):
  • The only detail visible on the front belt is the mounted ammunition boxes unlike the squares present on ANH belts.
  • The top edge of the front belt has protruding teeth that nest inside gaps between the ribs and detail panels of the abdominal armor.
  • The two center ammunition boxes are thinner than the other mounted ammunition boxes.
  • The second and fifth mounted ammunition boxes are slightly wider than the two center ammunition boxes.
  • The two outermost ammunition boxes are almost square.
  • The two drop boxes are rectangular and as wide as the mounted square boxes.
OPTIONAL Level three certification (if applicable):
  • The ammo boxes across the front are all made separately from the main belt and are secured to it
  • The two drop boxes hang no more than 1" 25mm below the front belt and the black strap is visible.
  • The second and fifth mounted ammunition boxes have trapezoid detail on the top of each ammunition box.
  • The front belt protrudes past all mounted ammunition boxes above and below by approximately ⅛"–¼" 3–6mm.
  • All ammunition boxes have slightly beveled edges on the face of each box. 

My suggested change in bold. I don't think having the belt edge required at L2 is a big ask. Moving that up and then allowing the bottom edge angle cut directly after would make sense.

Belt
  • The Ammunition belt consists of a hard belt made of the same or similar material as the armor in two separate parts front and back (with overlap).
  • There are 6 ammunition boxes mounted to the belt.
  • There are 2 (one left and one right) drop boxes suspended by black webbing approximately 2" (50mm) wide. Drop boxes must be accurate in detail and proportion to official references.
  • The ammunition belt is accurate in detail and proportion to official references.

OPTIONAL Level two certification (if applicable):
  • The only detail visible on the front belt is the mounted ammunition boxes unlike the squares present on ANH belts.
  • The top edge of the front belt has protruding teeth that nest inside gaps between the ribs and detail panels of the abdominal armor.
  • The front belt protrudes past all mounted ammunition boxes above and below by approximately ⅛"–¼" 3–6mm. (moved from L3)
  • The bottom edge of the front belt may run flat across the belt or may be trimmed at an angle near the cod armor to match screen references.
  • The two center ammunition boxes are thinner than the other mounted ammunition boxes.
  • The second and fifth mounted ammunition boxes are slightly wider than the two center ammunition boxes.
  • The two outermost ammunition boxes are almost square.
  • The two drop boxes are rectangular and as wide as the mounted square boxes.
OPTIONAL Level three certification (if applicable):
  • The ammo boxes across the front are all made separately from the main belt and are secured to it
  • The two drop boxes hang no more than 1" 25mm below the front belt and the black strap is visible.
  • The second and fifth mounted ammunition boxes have trapezoid detail on the top of each ammunition box.
  • The front belt protrudes past all mounted ammunition boxes above and below by approximately ⅛"–¼" 3–6mm. (moved to L2)
  • All ammunition boxes have slightly beveled edges on the face of each box. 

6 hours ago, TheRascalKing said:

mo, allow both since there is clearly precedent and don't let these things keep you up at night when there are already so few people building these kits to standard.

This is the practical approach.  Update basic so that either is acceptable and people can make the one that they prefer.

• Like 2

This is why base level addition made the most sense to me.

One other detail would be good to address, the overlapping of the belt on the sides, (when there not covered with gaffa tape).

I believe there are enough references showing both back overlap front and front overlap back, shouldn't matter which way as long as it's closed

CRL 

ad79c7093c24d9d2ca4642261fb0973a.thumb.jpg.1f42f153b01d813e298146b257503f3d.jpg  mandalorian1x08_1043.thumb.jpg.c052a0704656b1b125d8645f916ee839.jpg

V91RfHJ.jpg

Edmc5zz.jpg

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, gmrhodes13 said:

One other detail would be good to address, the overlapping of the belt on the sides, (when there not covered with gaffa tape).

I believe there are enough references showing both back overlap front and front overlap back, shouldn't matter which way as long as it's closed

CRL 

• The back belt overlaps the front belt on the sides

Agreed, again there is precedent for both.

Edited by TheRascalKing
  • Like 1

Another easy CRL update.

If we are serious, I can request the CRL unlock and make these basic changes over the next few days.

• Like 2

2 belt updates to be made at basic level would be as follows.

The bottom edge of the front belt may run flat across the belt, or may be trimmed at an angle near the cod armor to match screen references.

The belt overlaps on the sides

Is there enough merit in moving this section from Lvl 3 to lvl 2?

It's rare we ever have dimensions on a CRL because of the issues it can cause, so I understand why it sits at centurion.

The front belt protrudes past all mounted ammunition boxes above and below by approximately ⅛"–¼" 3–6mm.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, revlimiter said:

Please unlock the artillery trooper also as yellow guy really needs this update as well. :salute:

I may have mentioned somewhere in this thread, it is possibly a shared template.

This means if I update one, any other CRL legion wide that uses that same belt template will be automatically changed.

I will know for sure once I have access and make the change.

Then it's a matter of contacting any other det to inform them the template they may have used has now changed.

Sharing a template seems an easy way out but it kind of sucks too lol.

No issue for our own CRL's, confusing for others that chose to copy and paste sections of our CRL's and not modify certain parts of the code for their own CRL's

This is how it will look.

The server hasn't updated yet, so can only see it in the Origin Wiki doc.

Checked the Artillery, and it is the same template for the belt, so will be automatically the same.

fYa2jbq.png

• Like 2