Hi folks!

Hi all,

My name is Ian from Melbourne, Australia & I've just joined the 501st Knightfall garrison there.

I'd like to build up an ANH Stormtrooper costume - no experience whatsoever (but willing  to learn :D ) so would appreciate any guidance on getting started.

Especially if there are any reputable local Aussie vendors that I could support by buying from them.

Cheers, 

Ian

• Like 3

48 minutes ago, Pickers said:

Hi all,

My name is Ian from Melbourne, Australia & I've just joined the 501st Knightfall garrison there.

I'd like to build up an ANH Stormtrooper costume - no experience whatsoever (but willing  to learn :D ) so would appreciate any guidance on getting started.

Especially if there are any reputable local Aussie vendors that I could support by buying from them.

Cheers, 

Ian

Hello Ian! First off, congratulations on taking the first few steps!! :salute: Now the ball is rolling!

Being willing to learn as you say is exactly how you become a good builder, and research is key when doing builds!

We have a good list of vetted vendors here! Some armors are maybe better suited for you depending on your measurements, like height or things like that! I am 182cm and 90+kg, and I've got an RS Prop Masters kit, but taller humans might go for other makers! I personally love the RS armor because it is currently the only armor with direct lineage from ANH :) Have a look below!!

If you have any questions, we're here for you! Good luck in your research! :lightemperor:

• Like 2

Hi Ian and welcome to FISD mate.

This is also a good resource to use as everything is in one post with links to a lot of things that are going to come in handy for you.

This one is specifically for the ANH Stunt variant, there is also the Hero version with a few differences.

The Stunt ANH is by far our most popular Stormtrooper around the world.

Best of luck on your new and exciting journey and don't forget, if you have any questions, please ask away, we are all here to support you in every way we can.

• Like 3

If you want two customes, you could always get both the Hero and the Stunt - as I did! :laugh1: The only difference is the helmet and the belt! :jc_doublethumbup:

Hi Ian. 

Welcome to the FISD. 

The journey to build a stormtrooper May seem daunting at first. The key is research.  The links above will guide your research and help you immensely. There are many very knowledgeable people here on these boards that will also be a huge help. 
Once you are ready to begin, start a build thread for help and advice and be sure to ask lots of questions. We are here to help you get there. 
Looking forward to following your build. 

• Like 1

Welcome, Ian! Looks like other troopers have you covered with helpful links, so check them out for sure! Andrew and Glen will especially be able to speak into Aussie resources as they’re located down under as well.

Once you receive your armor, start a build thread, post lots of photos and questions, and we’ll be there alongside you to help you on your journey!

• Like 1

G’day Ian

I’ve just replied to your post over in Knightfall, but good to see you here!

Looks like you’ve already been given a good few starting links. Most of your parts will come from OS, however your under suit and building supplies can be sourced locally.

Btw, I’m the FISD attaché to Knightfall, so please do reach out if I can be of help too

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Hello there!

One thing I can say is everything seems intimidating at first when building a costume like a stormtrooper, but they are not near as scary as it seems once you read through some of the builds and tips.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Shipping is always the killer for those of us down under and more so of recent days with a dramatic rise in shipping costs, all being well it fits in your budget.

On 7/4/2023 at 8:13 PM, riveting said:

I hope the quotes come back low for you Ian,  If it helps, When I was over in NZ the postage costs from RS, on the few kits I bought was extremely reasonable... at the time!.  I'm interested to see how it is now.

Ross @ RWA came back to me & said a large box to Australia is £300 - which is about $570 AUD...yikes!!!
I reached out to Douglas @ Trooperstuff & he has the option to split it up over 3 payments if I want to go with a (mostly) custom build.

Any thoughts on that option that you can share?

Is it worth creating a build thread maybe & asking there?

I don't know if shipping from a US maker would be cheaper - from past experience it's further than from the EU so usually as much as the item from my experience :o

Sorry for the q's - hope you don't mind.

59 minutes ago, Pickers said:

Ross @ RWA came back to me & said a large box to Australia is £300 - which is about $570 AUD...yikes!!!
I reached out to Douglas @ Trooperstuff & he has the option to split it up over 3 payments if I want to go with a (mostly) custom build.

You could always reach out to a few other UK based prop makers and check on shipping, I must admit I've not purchased a kit of late and I know shipping was going up so that may be an average price,

You can find these all on FB.

WTF - Walt's Trooper Factory

TM - Troopermaster

RS - RS Propmasters

Hi Ian,

Some of the "larger companies" may have contracts with the shipping company's and the cost may be way way lower than what's already quoted? hopefully!

In my brief experience, shipping rom the UK was usually generally lower than items received from the states, however depending on which US based currier the vendor chose to use!

Also when I was living up in FNQ a few yrs back, I recall kit was being pulled within and advertised inside AU, Maybe someone more local to you has more knowledge of those specifics?

• Like 1

Yeah I remember getting my FOTK from the Philippines. $200 shipping. So yeah it’s no fun, but if it is all things equal from vendor to vendor then at that point, it’s just up to which vendor you prefer.