Bought an Anovos kit but missing Thermal Detonator

Sherbert

Hi everyone, as the title says I bought an unassembled TK ANH Anovos kit and got it delivered only to find out that it was missing a few things (Thermal Detonator, Soft Goods, and Strapping/Harness Parts.) The seller was kind enough to give me a partial refund but I'm looking at replacement parts and some of the costs are a bit shocking. Trooper Bay on Etsy has a full replacement thermal detonator kit for under $40 but I have access to a small vacuum former to do my own end caps but not big enough to do the control panel on it and I think I have some 2in grey PVC conduit scrap laying around somewhere. Are there any sellers I can just source that control panel from to finish it? I have done quite a bit of searching and I'd like it to be accurate. I also have a 3D printer and was looking at making it that way but I would rather just get the panel made properly since then I'd have to sand and paint it and it would be PLA which I feel won't hold up as well as the original ABS. In the end the sub $40 for the kit is reasonable and not a huge deal in the end but I wanted to consider my options.

As far as the other bits, I can source most of them without too much trouble but I'm open to suggestions. From my research I need the following still:
Neck Seal

Rubber gloves

Undersuit

30~ line 24 snaps
9 split rivets
Various strapping materials like nylon and black and white elastic band

Boy do I have some good news for you.

Darman's or Geeky Pink's make excellent neckseals, but you have several options. Rubber gloves are trash for anything but Centurion photos, imo, but I recommend some lightweight running gloves. Buy the cheapest undersuit you can find for your first one since your suit will undoubtedly chew it up at first, but then upgrade - I like mine from Keep Trooping/Imperial Boots. Don't store the soft goods and armor together - they can bleed dye sometimes. You're not missing anything without their soft goods or strapping. Snaps are easy, but I do actually prefer cheaper ones that are not branded like the Tandy ones.

Have a good look around and with the Search feature and there's plenty more info out there. Usually, the more research you do first, the happier you'll be with your final outcome!

Edited by TheRascalKing
  • Like 1

Hi Justin,

You could reach out to other vendors to see who can supply you a TD, AP does extra parts some times as does Mike from MTK. You can find their details in our vetted armorers list HERE

I wouldn't worry too much about trying to get an Anovos one specifically. if they run out of stock. Something to also be mindfull of is the fact that even products from the same vendors can have colour variations based on the batches of plastic. Even in the case of the Anovos, a different batch may yield a slightly different colour. Don't let that concern you unless it is drastically diiferent.

Also different sized Thermal Dets do not inhibit in any way your approval for OT TK's

Haberdashery stores are great for getting all the snaps, elastic and nylon webbing for strapping.

As to the rubber gloves, definitely needed for Centurion, and if you intend to troop in them, get some cheap white cotton gloves to wear under them, they make a world of difference.

Some love to troop as accurate as possible and take pride in their achievement of reaching our highest level, sure, it's not for everyone but you do have options to keep it comfortable.

Personally I purchased my under suit off ebay, it was a cheap option and has lasted me 9 years and over 90 troops with only minimal wear in some areas. Best $35 I ever spent.

As mentioned, research is the key to happy building and trooping, good luck with your journey, we are here to help.

• Like 1

The Anovos plastic is a pretty specific shade of white, and very few North American makers use the correct diameter pipe for their TDs either, sooooo.... that link should be well worth it and has been confirmed to be quality.

Edited by TheRascalKing

Thanks all so much for the information! I'm definitely trying to do a ton of research. I am looking into this now and I can't believe I didn't check ebay for those TD's. That definitely seems like the route to go although the price is about the same as Trooperbay after shipping. But I think it will match a bit better. Those neck seals are great and I really appreciate the other tips! I am aiming for basic approval but leaving stuff open to upgrades to get to centurion. I did make an Anovos suit before but unfortunately had to sell it when I moved. I am hoping to apply to the 501st again once I get this suit assembled.

• Like 2

Best of luck with it all Justin, FISD is here to help you all the way to completion and further.

Just quickly chiming in here, but I looove the rubber gloves + white cotton gloves combo! For accuracy and comfort, they bend more than the plastic hand plates and personally I think they look the part when holding an E11! I'd also recommend buying a balaclava! Really helps hiding your face behind the teeth and sucks up a little bit of sweat too!

I heard from people that got the FO Anovos kit that their plastic was quite a good match for the white paint: RAL 9010 - so as a "plan C or D" maybe you could 3d-print something and paint it with that until you get the real stuff that you want!

8 hours ago, Sherbert said:

Thanks all so much for the information! I'm definitely trying to do a ton of research. I am looking into this now and I can't believe I didn't check ebay for those TD's. That definitely seems like the route to go although the price is about the same as Trooperbay after shipping. But I think it will match a bit better. Those neck seals are great and I really appreciate the other tips! I am aiming for basic approval but leaving stuff open to upgrades to get to centurion. I did make an Anovos suit before but unfortunately had to sell it when I moved. I am hoping to apply to the 501st again once I get this suit assembled.

Take a look to this Anovos TDs.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/115772293617

Thanks all so much for the information! I'm definitely trying to do a ton of research. I am looking into this now and I can't believe I didn't check ebay for those TD's. That definitely seems like the route to go although the price is about the same as Trooperbay after shipping. But I think it will match a bit better.

Yes, those Anovos TDs on ebay are the same price as Trooperbay, BUT they are superior because:

- They are properly sized (tube diameter) for screen accuracy while TB’s are too small. Anovos is roughly 68mm outer diameter and TB is 2” inner diameter. I have two posts on my ANH build thread dedicated to detonator research and sizing differences. Haha.

- This bundle includes the metal clips, which will run you another $35-ish. This makes the ebay listed about half the cost as purchasing from other sources.

- Plastic color match is more likely to be better for your armor.

As the Emperor would say, “DEW IT!” (Buy the Anovos ones)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 3

I ordered that TD and am eyeing some other soft goods. Last time I got my boots from tkboots but I'm seeing that they're no longer doing them. So I put an alert up for Imperial Boots/Keep Trooping to put in an order on their next wave. Thanks again for all the recommendations I've added a few more things to my wishlist thanks to this thread. I'll need to start up a build thread soon when I am able to get started!

• Like 2

On 6/27/2023 at 1:44 PM, Sherbert said:

I put an alert up for Imperial Boots/Keep Trooping to put in an order on their next wave.

You will be more than pleased with Imperial Boots but they tend to run a bit on the small side, so I would suggest ordering at least half a size larger than what you normally wear.  This leaves room for cushioned insoles (also suggested) ;).   Since they are leather, I keep adjustable wooden shoe stretchers inside mine when not in use.

n8Ij5ro.png

Side note:  I would leave the lower leg (calf) pieces until you get your boots... that way you can wear them during the fitting/sizing to ensure you leave enough room.

• Like 1