Dblcross's 5.0 AM Build Thread

dblcross

Dum dum dummmmmmmmmmmmm. It's here! every piece was lovingly wrapped with foam ! Lots of packaging peanuts! You can tell DDD is a professional and loves his craft.95HZP0b.jpgUAADvq2.jpgrrKq8YH.jpg. Now I need to get the wife to being use to having her Kitchen table occupied! That, my friends is no small task!

• Like 4

Excellent, now wait until that joy wears off, then the panic sets in when you realize you have to trim this shinny pristine armor :D 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, dblcross said:

Already has

Just remember the golden rules:

Measure twice, cut once

Check references, we have a gallery area full of them

If you don't know then ask, there is never silly questions, only silly mistakes from not asking ;) 

Looking forward to the progress:popcorn:

Some helpful links 

Oh yeah honestly you can never have too many magnets. A dozen is probably the very are minimum. As for your teeth, they look pretty good, and you definitely don’t really need to expand them (wider) any more. You may just consider sanding a tiny bit more in some of the corners of the teeth gaps to eliminate the rounded corners and make them a bit more angular.

• Like 1

I know you aren't quite at that point yet, but I wanted to give you a heads-up on something..  The ABS that Dave uses has a UV resistant layer on the outside, meaning that the chances of it yellowing are next to zero (I have a set that is going on 8 years with no discoloration).  The reason I bring this up is because it can affect your cover strips.  

Note that one side will have a smooth, glossy finish and the other has a similar but ever-so slightly scuffed finish (hold it up next to a light to see the surface).  The shiny side is the one with the UV protective layer and should face outward, so keep this in mind when sizing/gluing. ;)

If you have any questions, just let me know!

• Like 4

1 hour ago, justjoseph63 said:

I know you aren't quite at that point yet, but I wanted to give you a heads-up on something..  The ABS that Dave uses has a UV resistant layer on the outside, meaning that the chances of it yellowing are next to zero (I have a set that is going on 8 years with no discoloration).  The reason I bring this up is because it can affect your cover strips.  

I had no clue! Thanks.

Personally I wouldn't heat them, I guess you could but you may end up in all sorts of trouble.

The top of the ear is still quite thick, reducing this will bring the lower section inwards, it's all about minor tweaks.

You can also add a step to the top of the ear to help in come in more, this is such an informative thread for trimming ears 

cap ear fit.png

• Like 1

Exciting to see your progress. Mine just shipped. Helmet will come later as I opted to have that done for me. Save me some time on a part that won’t need custom sizing. Can’t wait to join in on the madness.

Also glad to have read about the UV layer with cover strips. I too had no idea.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

6 hours ago, dblcross said:

Question, has AB paste been used to fill dimples then smoothed out so it's flush?

ABS paste depending on acetone used and thickness can leave little pin air holes so another filler may be needed to finish those. BUT some are not finding any pin holes and use ABS paste to fill thigh ridge gaps as well as some seams on FOTK armor

• Like 1

20 hours ago, dblcross said:

Teeth folks! let's pick my teeth! fAORl8D.jpgg03FpP4.jpglzbKUNL.jpghT1bzIL.jpg I apologize for  not having them perfect. I'm no painter.

Great work with your helmet , and great paint job with that vocoder sir.

You can improve the teeth paint job by refining the edges as the crl  states: Frown is painted gray and does not leave the teeth area.    

9hqPMez.jpg

6kJJFaV.jpg

Some reference Images

7kDxvC1.jpg    jK7gume.jpg

I1lhUgG.jpg

:salute:

Nice work on the painting, vocoder looks fine to me, see if a dab of polish can just remove the small amount of excess remaining (lower corner) ;) 

ze4y8uU.jpg

• Like 1

On 3/2/2023 at 5:00 PM, dblcross said:

Dum dum dummmmmmmmmmmmm. It's here! every piece was lovingly wrapped with foam ! Lots of packaging peanuts! You can tell DDD is a professional and loves his craft.95HZP0b.jpgUAADvq2.jpgrrKq8YH.jpg. Now I need to get the wife to being use to having her Kitchen table occupied! That, my friends is no small task!

Oh man, I forgot about the most necessary costume build step, convincing the wife about the use of her spaces.

• Like 2