TikiTechie's ANH TK Stunt trooper build

TikiTechie

I didn't start this thread until late in the build process, so I might be light on WIP pics. Oops. Next build.

Got a kit from Faraway Creations in Colorado.

Got pretty much all the torso, arms & thighs done. Had a bit of a snag with the calves, more on that later.

In progress with the helmet at the moment. 

body-fit-selfie.jpeg

IMG_3786.jpeg

Edited by TikiTechie
  • Like 1

Amazing how we get in a building spree and forget to take more photos :D 

Looking good so far, looking forward to seeing more 

• Like 1

Welcome to FISD Jim, 

Looking nice build, remember to check and re-check the crl, reference images , others wips and "measure twice , cut and glue just once" .

Let us know for further assistance,  

• Like 1

Looking good, you may just want to adjust the strapping between your shoulders and shoulder straps you have a bit of a gap there ;) 

On 10/17/2022 at 9:12 PM, gmrhodes13 said:

Looking good, you may just want to adjust the strapping between your shoulders and shoulder straps you have a bit of a gap there ;) 

Definitely. Once I get the shins correct I am going to revisit my straps. Those are first on the list. At least it's an easy fix to shorten.

Thanks for the feedback!

• Like 2

Trying to post up some progress stuff, but I'm mostly done. however, I do know that I've had confusion and questions cleared up just by seeing some pictures, so I'll post these two of my current belt.  Maybe there's something to fix, hoping it's gtg.

tId4fLg.jpg

RussdUY.jpg

Edited by MoonTiki

Looking good, a dab or two of E6000 on the drop box elastic loops can help the drop boxes stay in the right place ;) 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, gmrhodes13 said:

Looking good, a dab or two of E6000 on the drop box elastic loops can help the drop boxes stay in the right place ;) 

Yep, there is some along the top edge. I might end up putting a little dab on the top edge all along. It seems like the middle gets a little slack when curved on my waist. 

Edited by MoonTiki
  • Like 2

After submitting for pre-review it was pointed out that I had riveted the sniper plate which is ROTJ and not ANH. :/  I didn't do my research and just followed the mfg instructions blindly.  Lesson learned. It's one of the few areas I didn't do my due diligence on. 

The shins of my kit have been a real difficult chore.  It seems that the right / left item labels were reversed so I had that added confusion, which is already confusing based on what I've seen in other threads.

After that, the left side was much smaller than the right and was originally unwearable. I added a much larger cover strip on the inside to hold the width, giving me a bit more room. It's still tight but I think it's wearable. We'll see when I start trooping.  I had to cut away most of the return edge on the top of the left shin which was digging in to my knee.  Ow.

So, after the comments on my split riveting, I went ahead and took them out with pliers and started gluing them on.

The knee plate is really thicker looking than some of the other ones I've seen, or at least the shape does not fit what the knee looks like, so I did some hot water bath & struggling to get it to lie a little flatter to the tops.  It's still not a very good match so I just went ahead and glued them a bunch and clamped them down overnight.  For now it's holding. I'll be curious to see if the E6000 will retain the hold.  I have not used CA glue at all during assembly given it's my first kit and I wasn't confident.  (Was a wise decision based on some changes I've had to make).  This may be a time I will use it if the e6000 doesn't do the trick.

Here are some photos. 

hgKzFST.jpg

I did a lot of work to bend/force the side to fit. Looks like a crack formed while it was clamped.  I will try to fill this in with some ABS Paste later today.

The rivet hold will get the same filler.

ofJRZPf.jpg

I trimmed this one back to remove the rivet hold and match some pictures I've seen on where it attached, which seemed a little shorter than the low point of the leg border.  I will  fill this in with some ABS Paste later today.

X1i04fe.jpg

This view from the top shows a bit of the work needed to get this to kind of fit together.  I'm hoping the clamping bent it enough to remove the tendency to return to it's original shape. 

I'll post more when I fill the gaps. And I'll add it to my pre-request post.

Edited by MoonTiki

Looking good, for higher levels you belt could come up a touch

The top of the ABS belt shall sit at or just above the bottom of the central and vertical ab button panels.  A slight overlap is suggested, but not required

8XAwYOf.jpg?1  Nvimd6R.jpg?1  N8trEfM.jpg?1

Also remove the excess E6000 from the end of the sniper plate, easy to remove with either a sharp scrap of ABS or thumbnail

• Like 1

• TikiTechie changed the title to TikiTechie's ANH TK Stunt trooper build
  • 1 month later...

My noggin is either too big or my helmet hole is too small, or both.  I added a ukswrath fan bracket and I'm having a hard time stuffing my melon into this thing.

Should I be trimming some of this back further?  I originally had cut it back a ways, you can see where I had to salvage some gasket to get it to meet at the ends.

bbLL1rK.jpg

hZXa2YD.jpg

ELw006o.jpg

zK7AzKR.jpg

Edited by TikiTechie

4 hours ago, TikiTechie said:

My noggin is either too big or my helmet hole is too small, or both.

Just making sure, are you doing the TK-twist? (Putting it on sideways and then rotating it) 

If not that will most likely do the trick:)

• Like 1

6 hours ago, TheSwede said:

TK-twist

Yeah, that's with the twist.  I can barely get it over the bridge of my rather voluminous nose.  It was tight before and that was ok, now the fan bracket & switches really make it almost impossible, and I haven't added my headset mic or a battery.  I was just wondering from the photos if there is an area that is not trimmed enough or if it looks right. I can probably make do if that looks alright. But I did get a new strip of neck seal just in case I widened that thing.

Unfortunately some helmets are a little smaller than others, the opening you have seems quite a lot for the helmet, if you take off any more material you may find your face is easier to see by younglings.

Could you get the helmet on ok before the incorporated fans?

1 hour ago, gmrhodes13 said:

Could you get the helmet on ok before the incorporated fans?

Yeah, it was fine. I could twist it on fine. I really have almost nothing in there except a few helmet pads on the top & crown. 
I am fitting a couple of my own fans (not the bracketed insert) with velcro and those site nicely in the cheek/jowls incl. a battery pack. So there is room, just the bracket doesn't work for me I guess. :(

22 hours ago, TikiTechie said:

Yeah, it was fine. I could twist it on fine. I really have almost nothing in there except a few helmet pads on the top & crown. 
I am fitting a couple of my own fans (not the bracketed insert) with velcro and those site nicely in the cheek/jowls incl. a battery pack. So there is room, just the bracket doesn't work for me I guess. :(

I found I had to add squirrel/blower fans in the lower corners (next to mic tips) which gave me a little more room as my Hero is very small in comparison to my Stunt.

1 hour ago, gmrhodes13 said:

I had to add squirrel/blower fans in the lower corners

Yep, I reverted back to the same as that. I liked the bracket idea, but it just didn't sit down nicely in my helmet. It's a lot lighter this way. Live & learn.

• Like 1