Looking for Rogue one stormtrooper and ROS Fo stormtrooper helmets that are approved

Found a seller called Cybercraft that sells a rogue one helmet, just asking if it’s approved and also looking for suggestions for vendors that sell approved helmets, budget isn’t high ethier

Edited by themaninthesuitcase
Corrected typo in title

16 minutes ago, RINZLERz said:

Found a seller called Cybercraft that sells a rogue one helmet, just asking if it’s approved and also looking for suggestions for vendors that sell approved helmets, budget isn’t high ethier

That's entirely up to your GML (garrison membership liaison) as they look after costume approval. Personally I've not heard of Cybercraft so no idea of the quality, I would go for a more recognizable maker. Also check out some of the R1 and FOTK build threads for info on reputable sellers.

For R1 resources 

For FOTK resources (TROS would be the same helmet as TLJ)

There's no such thing as "approved", only "approvable", which Cybercraft's helmet is definitely not. They do not have permission to bill their helmets as approved, or to use our logo, and it is has been brought to the attention of Legion leadership.

There are lots of little details that make the New Generation helmets different from the Original Trilogy, so check out the Rogue One CRL and compare to the helmet: https://databank.501st.com/databank/Costuming:TK_rogue_one

2_71327583-27dd-4624-9561-4e4238be216d_1

But anyways, seek out Nico Henderson's 3D print files for the most accurate helmet currently available. I am not aware of anyone selling them as completed/painted helmets, but you may be able to commission one out. Another option is Jimmiroquai out of the Philippines, who makes a very nice one-piece fiberglass helmet but again, only as a raw pull. 850 Armor Works I believe also offers a resin cast helmet, but it's... okay. And finally, on the low end, the Hasbro Black Series stormtrooper helmet is based on the Rogue One design and the dimensions are actually all pretty darn good. It can be modified to be even more accurate and approvable with some work. Those are all of the reputable ones that I'm aware of at the moment! Hopefully some of those names can help jumpstart your research - and the more research you do, the happier you will be with your final purchase. If you have any additional questions, ask away!

• Like 1

Thanks for the help, if i’m not gonna specifically focus on rogue one stormtrooper helmets and instead just focus on stormtrooper helmets as a whole, what vendors do you suggest that have “approvable” helmets and are not sold at crazy prices?

11 hours ago, RINZLERz said:

Thanks for the help, if i’m not gonna specifically focus on rogue one stormtrooper helmets and instead just focus on stormtrooper helmets as a whole, what vendors do you suggest that have “approvable” helmets and are not sold at crazy prices?

You will find info here on makers of regular OTTK's, we don't promote one maker over another maker, It really comes down to price and accuracy, which is more important to you.

Some of this hobby is research so you have a bit of work ahead of you. Take a look at some of the EIB and Centurion threads, you will see those who have reached L2 and L3 approval and what their helmets look like. 

Any costume for 501st approval has to clear base requirements CRL's (costume reference library) you can find a list of them here https://databank.501st.com/databank/Costuming:FISD_CRL

There are some big differences between armors and helmets, you can't mix an OTTK helmet with R1TK for instance. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, RINZLERz said:

Most of this stuff is essentially "boutique" if you will, as it's almost all hand-built to order - there really isn't a commercially-available helmet that is worth the price that I'm aware of. Most of the time we're talking commissioning someone (even if it's the armor maker) to assemble it for you if you want an accurate, approvable helmet. There are a few makers that I know offer this, like AM and RS, but then you're kind of committing to that armor as well, since mixing and matching shades of white ABS usually doesn't go well (hence why I wouldn't suggest an Anovos off eBay either... plus, man they're getting rarer and rarer). Check out the list Q linked and reach out to some makers, as well as maybe checking if your local unit of the club has an Armorer or Attache who may be able to help. Unsure what your definition of 'crazy prices' is, but this is not a cheap hobby and most finished helmets probably start around $300+USD and go up pending options/accuracy/quality/shipping - but you can do a lot better than that Cybercraft for that price. 

• Like 1

• themaninthesuitcase changed the title to Looking for Rogue one stormtrooper and ROS Fo stormtrooper helmets that are approved
On 7/9/2022 at 10:50 PM, TheRascalKing said:

But anyways, seek out Nico Henderson's 3D print files for the most accurate helmet currently available. I am not aware of anyone selling them as completed/painted helmets, but you may be able to commission one out.

@RINZLERz, I know you said you’re not “specifically focused” on Rogue One helmets, but @TheRascalKing’s suggestion is an excellent option. However, having spoken with Nico, he asks that both parties buy his files from him before you commission someone to print and finish a bucket. 

I think one  question that needs to be asked though is what your intent is? Do you intend on buying a helmet to display, or are you thinking about putting together the rest of the armor later on? Obviously, with the differences in helmets, it’s a good idea to plan this out. 

There’s options out there, so please take a look at all the resources @gmrhodes13 posted. But, knowing you’re on a budget, you might want to consider the 3d print route. The files and 2 rolls of filament will cost you approximately $85, but then you can start buying paint and finishing supplies as your budget allows. However, this means you’d be finishing and painting it yourself which can be challenging, but rewarding. If you want someone to do a full commission build, the price can get out of control. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, BigJasoni said:

@RINZLERz, I know you said you’re not “specifically focused” on Rogue One helmets, but @TheRascalKing’s suggestion is an excellent option. However, having spoken with Nico, he asks that both parties buy his files from him before you commission someone to print and finish a bucket. 

I think one  question that needs to be asked though is what your intent is? Do you intend on buying a helmet to display, or are you thinking about putting together the rest of the armor later on? Obviously, with the differences in helmets, it’s a good idea to plan this out. 

There’s options out there, so please take a look at all the resources @gmrhodes13 posted. But, knowing you’re on a budget, you might want to consider the 3d print route. The files and 2 rolls of filament will cost you approximately $85, but then you can start buying paint and finishing supplies as your budget allows. However, this means you’d be finishing and painting it yourself which can be challenging, but rewarding. If you want someone to do a full commission build, the price can get out of control. 

Definitely want to end up with a full armour set and to be able to join 501st, I would preferably like to buy a fully complete helmet, the armour i'm happy to DIY but the helmet would be difficult for me, but going back to the helmet, i’ve looked at the vendors that have being recommended and done a bit of my own research, im currently interested in the 850armourworks stormtrooper helmet and a Anvos FOTK helmet (second hand), and am unsure which path to go (FOTK or TK), if anyone else has suggestions on better completed buckets to go for im all ears, budget is around 450 AUD.

4 minutes ago, RINZLERz said:

Definitely want to end up with a full armour set and to be able to join 501st, I would preferably like to buy a fully complete helmet, the armour i'm happy to DIY but the helmet would be difficult for me, but going back to the helmet, i’ve looked at the vendors that have being recommended and done a bit of my own research, im currently interested in the 850armourworks stormtrooper helmet and a Anvos FOTK helmet (second hand), and am unsure which path to go (FOTK or TK), if anyone else has suggestions on better completed buckets to go for im all ears, budget is around 450 AUD.

Also would prefer not to have the modify the helmets a lot for it to meet 501st requirements 

If you take a look through some of the R1 build threads you will see what people have purchased, seeing something can be better than just talking about them ;) 

https://www.whitearmor.net/forum/forum/196-rogue-one-build-threads/

R1 TK and FO TK are very different, it's ok to love both for what they are, I know I do.

Both sets of armour are also vastly different and each has it's own differing construction methods and intricacies so their is a lot to like.

Maybe start off with what captured your imagination first, work through that and once done and you become an approved 501st member, then focus on the next project.

Like many once you have completed one, you will most certainly be looking for another to get cracking on.

Welcome aboard Michael.

Thanks for the support, I have settled on the original TK as my first build as that's what I've always wanted to do.

I've done some research and looked through this forum and complied a few sellers and just want your thoughts on them and suggestions.

https://850armorworks.com/Rogue-One-Storm-Trooper-Helmet-p371300833

850armorworks

This was suggested a few times and liked the fact they sell fully done helmets, the picture doesn't look so great however but nonetheless people recommend this bucket, is quite expensive however, taking into account my low budget.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/wrnzrzeqoankwca/Jimmiroquai R1TK 2020.pdf?dl=0&fbclid=IwAR27TEpzpA2hvpeM0fw03iLrqvZTzLEEB5SwOA7MicMQYju6wQwxEmm4NT4

Jim Tripon

Saw his name pop up a few times and decided also to check him out, he does a very impressive looking helmet and within my budget however it is a kit and I'm unsure if that would be good for me as a first time builder.

https://www.etsy.com/au/listing/1230842824/stormtrooper-helmet-casco-guerra-de-las?ga_order=most_relevant&ga_search_type=all&ga_view_type=gallery&ga_search_query=stormtrooper+helmet&ref=sr_gallery-2-32&organic_search_click=1&variation0=2673658691

Esty 1

Some random esty listing I found while browsing, helmet looks quite nice aside from a few minor details such as the rear grey marking lack the stripes, but quite low priced 

https://www.etsy.com/au/listing/998963444/imperial-storm-trooper?ga_order=most_relevant&ga_search_type=all&ga_view_type=gallery&ga_search_query=stormtrooper+helmet&ref=sr_gallery-5-7&organic_search_click=1&variation0=2000618449&variation1=2210896849

Esty 2

Another esty listing I found, looks promising and isnt too bad on price.

Just want your opinions on these and which I should pick, I would place amour works lower as it is the more expensive.

@RINZLERz, you seem to keep going back to the ROTK style helmet; this is what 850 and Jim Tripon make. But let me address a few of your comments:

3 hours ago, RINZLERz said:

This was suggested a few times and liked the fact they sell fully done helmets, the picture doesn't look so great however but nonetheless people recommend this bucket

I'm not going to put them on blast, but I have concerns with the 850 helmet. Additionally, a few customer experiences have left a lot to be desired. For an example, please see David's build thread here: https://www.whitearmor.net/forum/topic/52357-davids-rotk-850-aw-build/

The 850 helmet is resin, which is great, but if David's is any indication of their quality control, I'd pass. You're right in saying "the picture doesn't look so great," and there's a few reasons why. There's a line in our CRL for basic approval that says "The helmet is accurate in detail and proportion to official references. Many commercially available helmets or those considered disproportionate in size or shape are ineligible." Again, I don't want to blast them, because we've seen several successful builds come from 850 kits, but their helmet is off... considerably. The first and most obvious to me is the overall narrow appearance of everything as well as the flat ears. Here's the picture you were likely referencing side-by side with the original render pic from @gmrhodes13's R1TK reference album:

1KDsJbx.jpg

Jim Tripon

Saw his name pop up a few times and decided also to check him out, he does a very impressive looking helmet and within my budget however it is a kit and I'm unsure if that would be good for me as a first time builder.

Jim's name has become synonymous with ROTK on this forum for good reason. First, he's the CRL model. Next, other than Nico Henderson's 3D ROTK helmet, his stuff is the most accurate currently available. There's a few more makers out there putting out great TK helmets, but they're all 3D print files. I believe Jim's is a recast of the black series helmet, but he did all the work we've been referencing before recasting.

Now, regarding it being a kit, that's debatable. This "kit" consists of only 3 pieces, technically four if you consider that there's two hovi mic tips. Also, don't worry about being a "first time builder." Jim's fiberglass is incredibly easy to work with. Here's a picture of mine that I spot checked with an $8 bottle of bondo spot and glaze putty, sanded lightly, then sprayed with <$20 in filler primer and primer sealer. It's now perfectly smooth and ready for paint.

gkLmOhh.jpg 

I did make a few adjustments to the eyes for centurion requirements and cut out the teeth (frown) and tubes, but other than those alterations (the tubes are totally optional), it was essentially ready for paint out of the box. Also, keep in mind that even considering shipping from the Philippines, Jim's bucket costs almost half what the finished 850 helmet costs. Paint, and prep materials will set you back another $40-$150 depending on what you buy.

I'd stay away from both of these. They are both 3D printed helmets from Geoffro's free files on Thingiverse which are found here: https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:391664
It's funny also, the first listing is definitely from these files, but the second listing shows a different helmet in the listing than the one that's being sent out. If you look at the buyer photos, they're pictures of the Geoffro helmet. Additionally, in most of their listings, they name the maker of the files, but don't for this listing. I'd ask before buying. Also, both makers say in the listing that they're using PLA to make the helmets. PLA is great for printing small dense objects or things that'll sit on a shelf, but it warps badly in any kind of heat.

The Geoffro files are fan made .stl files meant to emulate the Original Trilogy Stormtrooper, but they're horribly inaccurate. It's a fun little project for those of us who enjoy the 3D printing hobby, but if you're looking for a future TK build, these helmets would pretty much be useless. Plus, if you do the simple math, they got the files for free, spent about $30 on filament, and are charging you another $200+ for finish. Also, neither vendor offers free shipping and the first one is coming from Spain.

So, in the end, I'm obviously partial to the Jimmiroquai helmet, but like I said previously, you really need to gameplan what type of build you want to accomplish. If you're looking for a budget friendly point of entry, I would really consider finding someone who can 3D print a helmet for you, then later when you're ready for armor, possibly start looking into the 850 armor kit. Or, for a little more, you can grab Jim's armor kit which is a lot easier to work with and much more accurate. There's other vendors out there, but please post here before you invest in their armor; we're seeing recasters out there who have stolen Jim's design as well as several other inaccurate offerings. Also, start searching through the forum and other classified listings for armor. I just talked to someone last week who picked up an unused Shepperton Design Studios kit for <$800. We'll see this a lot where someone buys a kit, opens the box, realizes how much work is involved, puts everything back in the box and lets it sit for a few years. There's others who just decide that they need to move another direction and offer to sell their kits for unbelievable deals. Keep your eyes open.

As always, please ask a lot of questions. Everyone here wants to help you get suited up, but we're going to make sure you go about it the right way.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, RINZLERz said:

Thanks for the support, I have settled on the original TK as my first build as that's what I've always wanted to do.

I've done some research and looked through this forum and complied a few sellers and just want your thoughts on them and suggestions.

https://850armorworks.com/Rogue-One-Storm-Trooper-Helmet-p371300833

850armorworks

This was suggested a few times and liked the fact they sell fully done helmets, the picture doesn't look so great however but nonetheless people recommend this bucket, is quite expensive however, taking into account my low budget.

850 is decent in my opinion. I don't think their armor looks quite accurate or quite as good as Jim's kit personally due to the sculpt and limits of the ABS pulls, but they are readily available at not a bad overall price point. I've seen guys with successful builds in here for sure. 850 makes a one-piece cast helmet that Jason addressed above and I wouldn't recommend. Despite being white ABS, keep in mind that the entire suit will still still need to be painted.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/wrnzrzeqoankwca/Jimmiroquai R1TK 2020.pdf?dl=0&fbclid=IwAR27TEpzpA2hvpeM0fw03iLrqvZTzLEEB5SwOA7MicMQYju6wQwxEmm4NT4

Jim Tripon

Jim's fiberglass kit is solidly the most accurate out there in its proportions, and the details are captured nicely. Fiberglass is a unique material to work with and prepare for paint, but the armor comes mostly 'finished' and requires minimal trimming to fit before paint and strapping. His one-piece fiberglass helmet is excellent, if a bit thin, and is probably the nicest I've seen after Nico Henderson's 3D file (finished appropriately). Here's my Jimmi kit on top, with an 850 kit finished in house by a customer below for comparison. These are the only two makers of full ROTK armor that I'm aware of.

9QAosCO.jpg

https://www.etsy.com/au/listing/1230842824/stormtrooper-helmet-casco-guerra-de-las?ga_order=most_relevant&ga_search_type=all&ga_view_type=gallery&ga_search_query=stormtrooper+helmet&ref=sr_gallery-2-32&organic_search_click=1&variation0=2673658691

Esty 1

Some random esty listing I found while browsing, helmet looks quite nice aside from a few minor details such as the rear grey marking lack the stripes, but quite low priced 

https://www.etsy.com/au/listing/998963444/imperial-storm-trooper?ga_order=most_relevant&ga_search_type=all&ga_view_type=gallery&ga_search_query=stormtrooper+helmet&ref=sr_gallery-5-7&organic_search_click=1&variation0=2000618449&variation1=2210896849

Esty 2

Another esty listing I found, looks promising and isnt too bad on price.

Just want your opinions on these and which I should pick, I would place amour works lower as it is the more expensive.

Neither of these are Rogue One style, and neither look approvable under any CRL - Etsy and eBay are dangerous, so definitely tread cautiously there. The big giveaway to look for if you still want to go Rogue One are the straight, indented or cut out tube stripes on the "cheeks" of the helmet, as opposed to the Original Trilogy style that were curved and painted on (or often stickers these days).

That said, you'll find that there are considerably less quality options for Rogue One as opposed to A New Hope, as the movie is newer and not many vendors are really making parts for it. ANH Stunt would definitely be easier as a first build for the amount of available resources alone, but we're here to support whichever direction you go! Just some additional thoughts to help you decide!

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, BigJasoni said:

1KDsJbx.jpg

Aw geez, I haven't seen them side by side like that yet, but the difference really jumps out at you when you do. Definitely can't recommend their helmet in good conscience upon seeing that. Bummer, but thanks for the comparison! Seeing the armor side by side above hopefully helps too.

11 minutes ago, TheRascalKing said:

Aw geez, I haven't seen them side by side like that yet, but the difference really jumps out at you when you do. Definitely can't recommend their helmet in good conscience upon seeing that. Bummer, but thanks for the comparison! Seeing the armor side by side above hopefully helps too.

Justin,
I put this together for a friend a few days ago and was just as surprised as you. I've spoken with 3 people over the last month about issues they've had with their helmets and each of them say "something looks off." But, team this up with the warped resin issue @TI25674 (David) had and I'm a little hesitant. Another issue I saw up close was a weird resin pull which left the helmet bumpy like my OT TE Trooper helmet. Since it's resin, it can be sanded out, but this was on a finished bucket. 

• Like 2

I'll chime in on my build (R0TK from 850 AW). Their amor kit is the right price, which is why I went with it. I purchased the helmet with it as well, without doing proper research. I built an OTTK (Walts kit) and it was my first full kit, it went together pretty well. I had experience with a OT tie pilot, and 2 Fetts. But it was a challenge, not too bad though. I learned a lot. 

That all said the 850 kit lacks the crisp details I've seen in other kits. I am having to fix some issues along the way: rear shoulder strap covers are 3D printed and require a fair bit of "custom" sanding to get them to sit correctly. Even then, still need filling. All the ab greeblees are cast from 3D prints and still have print lines in them. Lots of sanding. The angled line on the sides aren't the correct angle, a few degrees off. The pulls themselves have imperfections (tiny dents here an there, rounded edge, etc). All workable with patience. 

The 850 helmet. I can't stand behind it. When I got it the top was flat, I had to heat it up (hot car method) and pop it back out. The two sides of the face are very slightly off alignment on mine (see my build thread mentioned above). As mentioned above, other issues as well. I didn't like that it made it passed QC with these issues and I was expected to try to fix it first. Lucky for me, I was able to. 

I will be printing my own. I was able to get a Black Series but I don't want to mod it, just display it. 

Like @BigJasoni said, I don't want to blast 850 AW on this. I have two other kits from them and they are great so far. They are very quick to answer emails and have been nice and replaced a part or two pretty quick if it was missing. And there are ROTK kits here on the forums that turned out great. 

I am considering putting my kit up for trade for another OTTK ( i sold mine to fund this, and now I miss it). I'm 47 and have a soft spot for the OT. 

Feel free to hit me up if you have any questions. 

• Like 1

Thanks, I can tell the difference between Jim Tripon's armor and the 850armourworks, its like light and day. I think in conclusion ill go with Jim Tripon as his helmet and armor look the most accurate and I feel like it would be a good learning experience for me to do some hands on DIY, and the price hits the spot perfectly. Appreciate all the support, when I get the helmet expect me to flood this forum with questions on what to do with it haha.

• Like 2

18 hours ago, RINZLERz said:

Thanks, I can tell the difference between Jim Tripon's armor and the 850armourworks, its like light and day. I think in conclusion ill go with Jim Tripon as his helmet and armor look the most accurate and I feel like it would be a good learning experience for me to do some hands on DIY, and the price hits the spot perfectly. Appreciate all the support, when I get the helmet expect me to flood this forum with questions on what to do with it haha.

I think this is an excellent plan. Everyone here is more than willing to help you make something awesome. Also, if you haven't done so already, link up with your local garrison. The troopers in Knightfall will be an outstanding resource. Then, when you're ready to start building, we'd all love to see a build thread.
Good luck!