Sithping ANH TK Build (RS)

Sithping

17 hours ago, Sithping said:

Hi Joseph, Here's some pics of the back of the thighs i'm planning on trimming for mobility.

Mobility (and comfort) are always a good idea!  You can round out the "pointed" areas on tops as suggested in the pics below or even more if needed.  You certainly don't want those points poking into the back of your legs!  As noted in my thread here I am not a fan of return edges in most places, but I always advise that they be removed before final fitting/gluing.  The reason being is that if you do need to remove/reduce them after they are finished the opening can be too large.  That's not always the case, but if so fixing it is fairly simple.

Reference images

qpnHmeA.jpg?1  oZNXcAY.jpg?1           s7Hrwl3.jpg?2  m1JFM2v.jpg?1

1 hour ago, justjoseph63 said:

Mobility (and comfort) are always a good idea!  You can round out the "pointed" areas on tops as suggested in the pics below or even more if needed.  You certainly don't want those points poking into the back of your legs!  As noted in my thread here I am not a fan of return edges in most places, but I always advise that they be removed before final fitting/gluing.  The reason being is that if you do need to remove/reduce them after they are finished the opening can be too large.  That's not always the case, but if so fixing it is fairly simple.

Reference images

qpnHmeA.jpg?1  oZNXcAY.jpg?1           s7Hrwl3.jpg?2  m1JFM2v.jpg?1

Thanks for clarifying, Joseph. I remember reading through your thread previously. Cheers. 

Hi all, hoping to attach the bridges this weekend. Any advice would be greatly appreciated on how much to trim...most appear to be secured from the fourth ridge from the bottom?

jntAtqw.jpg

MyNh6xY.jpg

Here are some references.

Ideally 1 large tab and 4 to 5 smaller tabs, but you can have less.

AK9w0mr.jpg?1     lbfFArU.jpg?1     FAKhPZ2.jpg?1

Sq6eUcM.jpg?1 gallery_12157_16_28275.jpggallery_12157_16_557.jpg

NOTE As seen in the photos below, there are no large tabs on the rear of the shoulder bridges.  This is not specifically mentioned in the CRL, but removing them is highly recommended if possible.

qb4YVKO.jpg?1   B3vL4VO.jpg?1

• Like 2

Hey Paul,

Superb progress so far. This is clearly going to be a very detailed set of armour once you’re finished. :-)

To follow on from what Joseph said about the leg trimming, I’d highlight the current length of a couple of cover strips. Typically in the Stormtrooper world, it’s uncommon for a coverstrip to be longer than (extend beyond) the length of the armour piece.

As below, personally, I’d consider trimming your right front coverstrip to prevent it from protruding beyond the armour.

69d22929eb0a28214158959d4a434d2e.jpg

Same at the back:

974110cbc3f03c0b6fbdcf36bb0bfbcc.jpg

Here’s a piece I did on coverstrips, including screen used examples etc.

Regarding the shoulder bridges, Glen provided some superb references. To add to this, here’s a lovely close up of Han’s suit. Note how the front of the larger tab has actually been trimmed, leaving a nice clean edge.

e3db84adcba1c4bf3e098bed605a4ffa.jpg

Keep up the great work, Paul.

Best wishes
Dan
  • Like 1

Thanks Dan!

I've been watching your channel and subscribed most helpful and a joy to watch your builds. 

The comparisons above are great thanks for the kind words and encouragement!

• Like 1

I managed some trimming with the dremel on the bridges tonight, and some light sanding...ran outta time(family duties) so a little more sanding before securing.

g1HekHg.jpg

• Like 1

To finish off I like to use a block of wood with sandpaper wrapped around to tidy up the lines, works well for the belt and knee ammo strip too ;) 

• Like 1

Turned into quite a nerve racking part of the assembly attaching the shoulder bridges, still not as scary as the split rivots...relieved to have them fitted.

Y31GXh0.jpg

44S7IPm.jpg

Got a few other tasks to fall back on now like trimming ankles, rear coverstrips and hooks, elastics to install on thighs and arms, thermal det. Loads to keep me busy:)

• Like 1

They can be a bit of a problem to get just right. I normally test fit the chest/backplate and add the elastic between, then place the pieces over a box (or mannequin if I can be bothered getting it out of the shed), doing this is similar to what you have done with the coat hanger, the difference being it holds the pieces outwards so makes aligning the shoulder straps a little easier. Once I am happy with the position of the straps I add masking tape to the sides and the fronts so I know when I remove and add the glue they with be in the exact same spots. Take note occasionally a clamp can slip due to strain or pushing glue out from under the straps so it pays to check from time to time while drying ;) 

• Like 1

Amazing that is the technique I used with the masking tape, it helped so much with the allignment.

Agree a bust or mannequin would work well for tasks like this. 

I'll post another picture of my method with the masking tape. :duim:

• Like 1

OK Paul.. so.... WOW!  You are nailing this build, sir!  SUPER nice alignment on the shoulder bell/shoulder bridge connection (no gaps) and a fantastic job on the ab/kidney rivet placement!

Not sure if you are aiming for higher levels of approval (E.I and Centurion) but I think I can speak on behalf of the entire D.O department when I say I (we) hope so!

Keep up this solid job, sir, and keep those photos (and questions) rolling in!  :jc_doublethumbup:

• Like 3

Just a tip, although the press studs are accurate many find them difficult to use, I prefer snaps and double at that, I found one let go at an event and if not for the spare my trooping would have been done for the day. 

uKbhHhM.png AvkpRGn.jpg

Another tip is to mount the press stud (or snaps) further to the front on the shoulder chest/backplate elastic it helps bring the shoulder bells inwards on the front when you move your arms

1MTWUi1.jpg.f9643dc22e45cc99e2783bd274c927a3.jpg

• Like 2

Guys! Thanks so much for the support here at FISD it means a lot to me. 

Question time, I know I should ask before doing but when I built my thighs, forearms etc I put additional coverstrips on the inside to strengthen the seam. Is this frowned upon at higher levels?

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Sithping said:

.... when I built my thighs, forearms etc I put additional coverstrips on the inside to strengthen the seam. Is this frowned upon at higher levels?

Not at all, Paul.  I always put interior cover strips on everything!  Although not "screen accurate" they are not seen and provide extra strength to the seams.  Even if someone doesn't want to use them for the other limb parts, I always suggest at least using them on the inside fronts of the calves.  Those pieces get a lot of wear from opening and closing when putting on your armor so the extra reinforcement certainly helps.

Another reason for using them is that some armor parts have more of a curve and the cover strips are flat.  Having one on the inside takes some of the stress off the one on the outside.

• Like 2

Guys! Thanks so much for the support here at FISD it means a lot to me. 

Question time, I know I should ask before doing but when I built my thighs, forearms etc I put additional coverstrips on the inside to strengthen the seam. Is this frowned upon at higher levels?

I’d say it’s personal preference. Personally, I’ve got two suits and neither have internal coverstrips. So far, I’ve not felt the need for them. :-)

I used internal strips on my first set of armor but found they weren't really needed except for the shins as you are opening and closing them a lot they can take more strain than anywhere else, but really it's just up to the builder, no issues with higher levels no matter if you have them or not.

On your thighs you may want to add some small strips just behind the lower ridge in case you have any gaps between these two pieces ;)

• Like 1

I agree with Dan on this.

I chose to use internal cover strips to reinforce the front of the calves (a potential weak spot due to flexing open from the rear to get them on) and also my thighs.

I actually used internals to aid in gluing the two halves together from the inside first before adding my externals on the thighs and forearms and calves.

It allowed me to align the parts easily.

I also can get pretty active in my armour in the right environment, yeah I've been known to break out in dance lol. Funk RnB style that is, not interpretive :P

I used CA glue on m entire kit and it is still going strong over the last 8 years.

There is also the old "if you cant see it, it doesn't matter" so no, internal strapping and supportive cover strips will always be allowed and a personal choice. 

• Like 2

Hi Troopers! Thank goodness it's the weekend and i can hopefully continue my armour build. 

I managed to get a stand to aid my build and it really helps me to see the armour elevated to around my height.

I'm using my helmet i built during the first lockdown in 2020 it's an RS kit, though i will be constructing a second lid i recieved with my armour.

Hope everyone has a great weekend!

jqjioMv.jpg

• Like 1