Trying to find info for my first build

Hey all, first time poster. Today I ordered an AP armor kit. Super stoked. It's going to be several weeks until it arrives but I'm trying to get as ready as I can. I'm not certain how well I will do at assembling this armor as it's definitely new for me. One concern I already have is I'm having a difficult time finding YouTube videos or build threads specifically for AP armor. It makes me worry that maybe I should have chosen a different vendor if you all are primarily using other ones! Or, perhaps building the armor is roughly the same no matter who supplies it.

All that to say, if anyone can point me to some good threads or videos for AP armor, or simply encourage me that I don't have to focus too specifically on my armor supplier, that would be helpful. I'm crazy excited to build my suit but incredibly intimidated at the process!  Thanks in advance

• Like 1

Hey trooper,

Welcome aboard. Great to read your excitement!! :-)

You’ll find lots of AP builds here on the forum. If you are looking to take inspiration from other copies (builds), perhaps look for some AP builds that have reached EIB and/or Centurion. This means that they have been build with higher standards in mind.

If you are looking more to follow the original suits (my preference), I’ve done a load of videos myself that focus more on the little intricacies of the original armours. You’ll find them on my YouTube channel:

You’ll also find quite a few pinned posts on the forum where I look deeper into the original suits and helmets.

I’m not aware of any specific AP YouTube tutorial series, I’m afraid, but you could also check out the very informative video series by RS Prop Masters. They build their’s to the original sizes (based on the original suit that they own) and gives good tips. Depending on your own size and frame, you can size your own suit up or down as required.

Best of luck with your journey,
CableGuy

Hi Chris, and welcome to the FISD!  Congrats on your purchase, and you are definitely in the right place for all things related to building a spectacular set of armor.  AP makes a fantastic kit, and many have been approved at Centurion level (link here for info).

While you wait, research will be your best friend.  We have a ton of information available here, but you also have an entire Detachment of fine folks who are ready and willing to help.   Here are a few suggestions while you wait for Big Brown Box day:

1.  Get your supplies in order (link here).  

2.  Order or buy your soft goods (link here).  I would suggest ordering your boots ASAP.  Having them on-hand will help when fitting the calves.

3.  This list (link here) by Caleb will prove invaluable.

4.  Research some of the build threads in this area (link).

5.  This thread (link) will show you all the steps you need to join the Legion!

It seems like a lot to do, and like I mentioned we have a lot of information here but don't let it intimidate you.  We are here every step of the way, so never feel shy about asking questions.  It's what we do best!

Welcome to the FISD Chris!

It can seem a bit intimidating at first. Just take your time. Do some research. The first cut is the hardest. The finished suit is gratifying. The Troops/memories you create are rewarding.

we've all started where you are and we're here to help you along the way:salute:

Good Luck Future Trooper!:duim:

Hello and welcome aboard, also look through some of the other build threads, great way to pick up pointers.