Sharing a Revelation

Ph1l2007

So I was watching ANH today after not having seen it for some time, and I found myself mentally suffering because I couldn't stand to see how bad the aim of our supposedly "elite" troops was. But here is something some of you might not have thought of.

Recall that right after the Millenium falcon landed on the death Star, they placed a homing beacon on it because they couldn't rely on Princess Leah to tell them where the rebel base was. Hence, Governor Tarkin planned on letting Han, Leah, and Luke go in order that they could track the Millenium Falcon straight to the Rebel base.

So what do the troopers have to do with this? Well obviously, the Empire couldn't track the ship to the hidden base if the crew of the Millenium Falcon were dead now could they? So my guess is that the troops were ordered sometime by Tarkin NOT to shoot to kill, rather to make an elaborate display in order to make the heros think they truly escaped the Empire's clutches. Think about it, Tarkin was probably smart and knew that if he didn't make it seem like the Empire wanted to re-capture or kill Han, Luke, and the Princess, the heros would have assumes something fishy was going on and thus, go somewhere other then the hidden base. So, like I said, the troopers were most likely shooting to scare the rebels off the Death Star, but NOT to kill them.

What do you guys think of that?

Ive actually heard this theory before. On another note, if you check out the Star Wars RPG, you'll find that one of the handicaps of a Stormtrooper is that he gets massive penalties against "hero" characters. Basically as long as they are blasting Jawas and moisture farmers they are ay-oh-kay, but against the player characters and whatnot, they cant hit the broadside of a barn from the inside.

Its not theory its fact! Right after they escape from the Death Star they cut to Vader and Tarkin having a conversation. Tarkin tells Vader he hopes his plan of LETTING them escape will work and they will be able to track them back to the rebel base. Now what's really odd is that Fischer tells Han Solo that they are most likely being tracked cause there is no way they could have escaped that easily. So why do they fly right to the rebel base??? I think George was running out of budget and time and needed to bring it to an end.

SW.com had an audio commentary track you could download for ANH that I believe addressed this. The point was argued that even though Leia knew they were being tracked, the plans for the Death Star were so important that they had to go straight to the base. They had to get the plans analyzed and try to destroy the DS before any more planets could be destroyed or damage done.

Makes sense to me at least.

When it occurred to me to think about it, I preferred to think that Luke and Leia's innate Force-sensitivity, and Han's probably-Force-derived uncanny luck were warping those 'Troopers' perceptions and causing them to miss just enough. It wouldn't have been enough to defend against a point-blank, carefully-aimed shot, but the hastily-snapped-off shots of a running firefight can be nudged astray by the strong Force-assisted desire to not be shot. :)

This is also how I explain Luke making it to the end of the trench. He was even throwing his dad's aim off. Look how badly Vader overcorrected when he was aiming low and then hit Artoo. *heh*

--Jonah