Dieting

mattastic13

Moderate what you eat so you eat a little healthier and cut your portions in half, don't over eat, eat till you are satisfied and do a lot of cardio. I have done this over the last two years and lost about 35 lbs. :)

After on and off dieting for years, this is how I shed 23 lbs in 6 months to fit better in a TK suit, and have kept it off for 8 months.

Plan on trying to work out daily...you'll always miss 2 to 3 days a week due to something, but if you just set the time daily and say "I need to work up a sweat at least once a day", that'll work. I'm not a morning person, tried, but had to switch to evenings to make it more consistent.

Lift at least 2 times a week - lower body one day, upper the next, if you want to have lean muscle make it 3 sets of 12 reps, or do 6-8 with more weight to bulk up more.

This was the part that I hated...cardio, I'm a limp lungs, but I walked 2 minutes for every 3 minutes running at a good pace and worked my way up to about 30 minutes and about 3 to 3.5 miles, alternating days with the lifting. I've since substitued one day of cardio week to playing basketball with people 15 years younger than I am, yet they still call me the quickest :)

Eat at least one portion of protein (eggs, cottage cheese, lean meat) for every carb, handful. (Protein shakes like EAS shakes saved my bacon, and I probably drink at least one a day) eat 4-5 small meals per day, drink lots of water.

With all of that, I was still able to eat treats occasionally and pizza on the weekends while still losing it.

There was some saying that after age 30, count on gaining 2 lbs a year of permanent weight gain even with a decent exercise program. I'm not going to let that happen. :)

By the way, I'm 38.

Moderate what you eat so you eat a little healthier and cut your portions in half, don't over eat, eat till you are satisfied and do a lot of cardio. I have done this over the last two years and lost about 35 lbs. :)

I agree with Thayne, the biggest way to affect your weight is portions.

well as a certified nutritionist, I can tell you to start cutting out little things so you start small, like cutting out all carbonated beverages, especially soda, then fast foods, and so on... it is also good to start drinking as much water as you can all day. If you want any weight loss to be successful you have to be 100% committed!!! this is the main thing that most people fail on when changing from a sedentary life full of fast foods and quick fix meals to a better eating and active lifestyle. You have to change allot about your daily habits and how you look at the world...you would need to start integrating an exercise program along with your diet in order for it to be at all effective, especially if you are looking for long term effectiveness

but in order to truly give you proper advice, I would need to know what kind of foods you are used to eating and so forth

but if any of you really want advice and consultations about eating better I would be more than happy to provide you with my e-mail :)

You see, I changed my life about 6 years ago...

here is part of my story...

I used to weigh about 315lb's, then I took charge of my life...I first started out with walking my dog every morning, then I bought a cheap mountain bike from Toys “R” us, and in about 6 months, I rode that bike into the ground. Then I bought a real mountain bike, I rode this Mountain bike for about 6 more months, then my buddy “a former US pro racer” and cycling mentor let me ride his road bike and I was hooked instantly...Then the obsession became a passion, and led to me riding 200 mile races, I now weigh between 170lb's and am still dropping

What I do…

I live everyday , and every minute of my life like it was my last…I am a Cyclist, Runner, hiker, swimmer, Life Guard, an archer, trainer, Certified Sports Nutritionist, Psychologist, an Empirical Scientist, an instructor for the Navy, and am a Food Science and Health Science Researcher & Teaching Assistant at San Francisco State University,

Multiple Sclerosis…

On December 6th 2000, I was diagnosed with Multiple Sclerosis…My initial attack from my disease left me partially paralyzed from the neck down…Prior to my attack I was an offensive lineman for my college football team weighing in at 315 pounds…and after I got sick the weight from my muscles turned into fat…I lived in this state of paralysis for 10 months, when my body slowly started to come back…I gained about 65% of the feeling back in my body to this day I still feel the reminisce of my attack that hit me almost 8 years ago …But Since that point where I thought my life ended, going into many depressive states, I have lived a more fuller life than I did in the 20+ years leading to my diagnosis…But now I am first and foremost an Ultra Endurance Athlete…That means that I push my body beyond the point that other normal athletes go…I am a determined person to accomplish and overcome what ever life puts in front of me…I have lived for a year of my life paralyzed…I have had to be fed at restaurants, I had to be dressed, I had to drink out of a straw, I had to be washed, I had to have someone do everything for me…and NOW!!! I have climbed to the top of hundreds of mountains, weathered through 130 degree Temperatures, torrential down poor, Hale, sleet, and snow…Descended on my 16lb bike at 50+ miles an hour…, I have seen death, I have been alone with and watched another individual who was very close to me take their last breaths of life, I have seen someone’s soul leave their body…I have seen and experienced many things that normal people in our country don’t get too…

There is a web site dedicated to weight loss, and its 100% free,

I am one of the motivational people on this web page, it has professionals like myself that will give you proper advice and you can share your story with others who are in most cases worse off than you are, plus! the women to men ratio is insane!!!

here is my page address...

<a href="http://www.sparkpeople.com/mypage.asp?id=DRUMMER8280" target="_blank">http://www.sparkpeople.com/mypage.asp?id=DRUMMER8280</a>

here us the web address...

<a href="http://www.sparkpeople.com" target="_blank">http://www.sparkpeople.com</a>

count your calories...try for 1400 or so a day. wait till you start reading labels and see how many calories most thing are, not to mention most things are packaged as TWO servings...so double that number on the box.

excercise and get your heart rate up for an hour or so. start slow and work your way into though. not need to hurt yourself and/or burnout quickly. you should be able to drop 2-3lbs a week like this. at that rate. you can easily reach you goal in a meager 3 months! as long as your "good" and stick to it! no beer...'cept on friday! ;) of course the amount you lose varies from person to person. probably more at first since your body will be in "shock" definitely do you best to cut out all sugar...sodas are the devil. and its a lifestyle change. doing what you do now got you where you are today ;)

count your calories...try for 1400 or so a day.

its alot more complex than that, you have to eat "real" calories, besides empty calories, and so forth, taking into account of WHAT is in the food you are eating is more important than eating less and 1400 is a little low, the recommended daily intake is between 1700, and 2,200 depending on your activity level, age, weight, and gender...PLUS!!! if you take in to little, your body could very likely start storing its fat every chance it gets :)

of course its more complex. i was just giving basic advice that has worked for me...even eating "crappy" food. for the most part if you burn more than you put in you'll lose weight. the point in limiting caloires would be to lose weight. once you reach your goal you should be able to increase your intake to maintain (to avoid that whole "starvation mode" thingy). BUT, your the nutritionist... ;)

of course its more complex. i was just giving basic advice that has worked for me...even eating "crappy" food. for the most part if you burn more than you put in you'll lose weight. the point in limiting caloires would be to lose weight. once you reach your goal you should be able to increase your intake to maintain (to avoid that whole "starvation mode" thingy). BUT, your the nutritionist... ;)

yeah, did you read my story? :D

Having lost 37 lbs and 4 inches since Febuary here's how I did it. (I also shaved 70 points off my blood sugar)

1. Diet: eat you hand size in protein, you fist in carbs and all the veggies you want.

2. No more snacking on carbs, protein or veggies only.

3. Cut the beers way back and no soda, diet soda can be just as bad, unsweetened tea, coffee, lots of water, juices.

4. Gym or exercise on you own: 20 min cardio (fast walk at first) and strength training 30 minutes 3 - 4 time a week for the at least the first 6 weeks or so, you can ten maintain at 2-3 times a week but keep the cardio up.

ALso for support check out 300DC a bunch of folks who do the 300 Spartans, great moral support and a lot of good diet and exercise advice even if you don't want to get into a Spartan costume.

Good luck,

Kris (I can now do my elite TK without side shims ;) )

some really great stories here guys, great tips as i 'm trying to lose weight myself!!!!! thanks for all your stories as they are very inspiring and motivating!!!!! just goes to tell you that people can really go above and beyond what's expected from their lifestyles!!!!!! Good job Bernard!!!!

My best advice about weight loss and overall health is to not take any given on a Star Wars costume enthusiast site :lol:

That being said, the simple truth is:

-most diets fail.

-exercise will fix both your problems.

Motivation is a key factor in this. Just figure out where you want to go with this. Is it "I want to be able to run without being out of wind", "I want to look good", or "I want to see my toes again". A goal is often useful.

My choice (and the armor becomes a factor in this) is that i wanted to look better and to get off diabetic medication. After looking at various health, exercise, and bodybuilding sites for information(American College of Sports Medicine has some great information/research), I decided that I would lift weights with some cardio in between. The nice thing about newbie bodybuilding is you can start at any weight, you see improvement at a good rate, and you get a double whammy in weight loss. You see, added muscle mass burns calories EVEN WHEN YOU ARE NOT WORKING OUT (see, the laziness in me is still there). Realize that as you progress this weight loss and muscle gain becomes a less inefficient catch-22, but in the early period (up to first year) the improvement is there. Biking, jogging, treadmill, etc., all lose weight only when you are exercising. The bodybuilding higher protein, less carb (within reason) diet is also great for blood glucose management.

Hope you find something that interests you. I would think it would be the key to success.

Best wishes in whatever you choose ;)

My best advice is; Just watch what you eat! Some food have a lot of calories, even if it's just a small bite. One of those cakes you can buy at 7/11 etc., can hold up to 1000 kcal! And if you check the table at McDonalds, you can see that there is a 700 kcal difference between a bigmac and a salad menu. ;)

I used to race road racing cycles in the UK and europe (still do but I'm not paid to anymore) and bore you with loads of facts and figures, but I won't

Keeping it simple.................

Eat before you go food shopping dude

That way no crap enters your house as you weren't hungry when you were shopping ;)

If it's not there you can't eat it :)

Exrecise is the key however. As it triggers your body to start eating into it's glycogen stores (sugar stored in muscle and ur liver) when they'e full your body just stores extra calories you eat as fat

But yeah, try not to eat rubbish and exercise. Take stairs instead of lifts. Little things like that

I swear by SlimFast and Wii Fit since using them for the past 6 months to lose almost 40 lbs. I am 37, 5'11", and had went from around 150lbs to almost 185lbs over the past 10 years. I joined the 501st back in April, and felt uncomfortable and a bit squashed in my armor. I am not much of a dieter, and I don't exercise very much, so since getting married and having twin girls, I slowly started getting overweight, especially in the gut.

I started using SlimFast shakes for breakfast and lunch everyday with only occasional exceptions. The funny thing is I never used to eat breakfast at all, but I read an article about how it is a critical meal, and if you skip it you end up overeating for lunch. I would then eat a balanced dinner, with a reasonable portion. I stopped eating chips and having large bowls of Ice Cream every night (what was I thinking), and I just have one Italian Ice for a dessert. At first it was a bit difficult, I was getting a bit hungry about mid day, but I managed to stick with it. It also actually saved me a bundle, I was spending $5-$7 on lunch everyday, and the shakes are only about $1.25. I also saved on all the junk food and Ice Cream.

I also tried to exercise a bit more with some situps, and some additional walking. In my building at work there was a back parking lot, just a 30 sec walk from my office. I started parking on the opposite side of the building so I would get a good 8 minute walk each way (its a big building). I also got the Wii Fit pad, and I tried to use it 3-4 times a week for 20 minutes. I really think that also helps you get a good balanced work out, without too much hassle, and the games are fun. It also tracks your progress with body tests, so you know exactly how much weight your losing and it has cool graphs to show your progress.

I am now actually about 4lbs below my original goal of getting back to 150lbs, so I only eat one SlimFast for Breakfast and I try to have a reasonable lunch and a balanced dinner. I keep up with the exercise, and track my weight with the Wii Fit to keep it in that range. I have had to trim and adjust my armor three times as the weight came off, so I have to maintain it now. My wife still can't believe it, she had been bugging me for years to eat better and exercise, and I never did it. It took the 501st to give me the proper motivation, fitting into my armor better.

Benard... :blink:

God speed man. Thats awesome.

I am bookmarking that page bro. Impressive.

I too am a Cyclist. I joined the navy at 200Lbs and 23. I was pretty fit and doing ok for my self... I passed physcals and stuff no probs.

Then Shore Duty in the states. Then 30. I had gotten used to a Japanese diet, and well... Hitting stateside I crapped out. Soda, Mickyd's, Tbell and box crap food of my youth returned. But the body awas gone. Older. It is easy to go to Wally world and buy crud to eat. Most if not all of the isles are full of crud. In bigger citys your able to go to like a Trader Joes, but man, the small towns where wally is king,like my home town, there is little choise. They rin out all the mom and pop and shovel in the crud. I hate Walmart. (can you tell) :angry: Insult to injury are the fat lazy ones riding on the electric carts. If you are disabled, I can see it. If you need to walk, Walk. (rant over...) <_<

It is getting harder in America to eat right. You have to WANT to eat right.

I balloned to 260, an all time high at 264. I almost lost my Navy carreer early due to it.

I moved back to Japan, and totaly Ditched American food. I cant say I work out, I hate it. I would lift weights if they were not so dang heavy... :D Running sucks on my knees for the old Football injurys.

But Cycling. Thats the ticket for me. I ride 10 miles a day no matter what. My bud got me into it as well.

I am finaly back up to speed from the accident, and like you Benard, feel the daily life buzz. Life is just too short. Live it man. Right on brutha!

I put on a little weight in the down time, but ill melt that off. I need to work on the midsection, just doing some extra sit ups will aid that, and I like billy blanks stuff. Raquetball is soon to return as well, the wife and I enjoy it. Plus its a together thing. I am back to 205. I know I can ditch another 15 in the middle and be where I want to be.

I stay active... I want to get competitive in my riding, but not yet. It felt pretty good to have to shim my TE2 for the fact my thighs are bigger. Cool!

Set your mind to it, and just get busy living.

Went through this myself a couple of years back.

I'm still a little pudgy (hovering about 215 - 220 at 6'2") but I have been doing the following.

(most of which has already been said)

1. say bye to sodas. I lost ~8 pounds just by doing this.

2. Sugary snack food - it's not gone but is cut way back.

3. Fried food should be cut way back too. Hard to do in Texas, I know.

(I swear they would fry a salad if they could)

4. I walk about 5 miles a day (knees can't handle running).

The more than 20 mins consecutive of cardio mentioned elsewhere is where you really start burning the fat.

5. If you feel the need for seconds, give it a couple of minutes. I've found I really don't need them.

Benard... :blink:

God speed man. Thats awesome.

I am bookmarking that page bro. Impressive.

I too am a Cyclist. I joined the navy at 200Lbs and 23. I was pretty fit and doing ok for my self... I passed physcals and stuff no probs.

Then Shore Duty in the states. Then 30. I had gotten used to a Japanese diet, and well... Hitting stateside I crapped out. Soda, Mickyd's, Tbell and box crap food of my youth returned. But the body awas gone. Older. It is easy to go to Wally world and buy crud to eat. Most if not all of the isles are full of crud. In bigger citys your able to go to like a Trader Joes, but man, the small towns where wally is king,like my home town, there is little choise. They rin out all the mom and pop and shovel in the crud. I hate Walmart. (can you tell) :angry: Insult to injury are the fat lazy ones riding on the electric carts. If you are disabled, I can see it. If you need to walk, Walk. (rant over...) <_<

It is getting harder in America to eat right. You have to WANT to eat right.

I balloned to 260, an all time high at 264. I almost lost my Navy carreer early due to it.

I moved back to Japan, and totaly Ditched American food. I cant say I work out, I hate it. I would lift weights if they were not so dang heavy... :D Running sucks on my knees for the old Football injurys.

But Cycling. Thats the ticket for me. I ride 10 miles a day no matter what. My bud got me into it as well.

I am finaly back up to speed from the accident, and like you Benard, feel the daily life buzz. Life is just too short. Live it man. Right on brutha!

I put on a little weight in the down time, but ill melt that off. I need to work on the midsection, just doing some extra sit ups will aid that, and I like billy blanks stuff. Raquetball is soon to return as well, the wife and I enjoy it. Plus its a together thing. I am back to 205. I know I can ditch another 15 in the middle and be where I want to be.

I stay active... I want to get competitive in my riding, but not yet. It felt pretty good to have to shim my TE2 for the fact my thighs are bigger. Cool!

Set your mind to it, and just get busy living.

That is great Nahan! keep up the good work sailor! :salute::trooper:

Bernard pretty much hit it on the nailhead.

One of THE BEST foods for getting the most protein for the calories is a can of tuna (packed in water), drained, then eaten straight out of the can, (with 5-6 crackers of your choice). You can even add a bit of non/low fat mayonaise if you want. I would eat fresh fruit in the morning, have a can of tuna for lunch, and run 6 miles (every other day)... I dropped 25-lbs. and was knocking out 6 miles (cross country) in 40 minutes after about 2-1/2 months.

DO NOT eat anything after 9pm... no matter HOW BADLY you m ay be craving a bite to eat.

:salute: