Captain Cardinal Build

Got the figure coming on Wednesday. Can’t wait to get started on hard armor.

Anyone know the best way to paint the boots and gloves? So the paint does not easily come off.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm built my boots to match Phasma's, but in red.  Cardinal is a Captain with specialized Armor from Hux. There are passages in the book description of him that includes references to armor on his boots. While the Figure opens the door to finally do the Armor, the book offers in-depth description of his bits.  The figure is just the cheapest parts they could use to make a figure. As illustrated by his cape being on the wrong shoulder. As a Captain he'd have Armored Boots. A Full Size F-11D with Stock. And Pistol on his thigh. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, pixelArtsProps said:

A Full Size F-11D with Stock. And Pistol on his thigh. 

Well he has the F-11D with stock and the pistol, the cape well the who knows if the illustration is right ;) the cape has probably just been made the same as Phasma, armored boots I'm still not sold on. I guess in the end it's what the LMO's will allow, they will be basing a lot on the figure (except helmet due to timeline of the character) unless something else comes out and that could happen anytime or not at all, but Disney does like their $'s though :laugh1:.

Starting on the upper torso.  I am going to use my chest, back, abs, shoulder bells, cod and butt piece from MIMIC.  This is flexible fiberglass and has amazing detail.  Unfortunately, he never finished the entire ensemble so I only have those pieces from him (got them 2 years ago).  As for the remaining hard armor, I am going to use the armor from KB Props (already have it built).  All pieces will be posted and painted 1 at a time to ensure accuracy and comparisons to the figure and pictures from the book.

Each piece will be shown in detail as I build.

Here is the torso.

QaJ60A9.jpg

NqcnqwF.jpg

GlInnfu.jpg

The bright white expansion piece will be removed.  I added it when I weighed 30 pounds more.

wiFTV3b.jpg

2nFIbi3.jpg

Chest plate:

SvfambC.jpg?1

bl4iCrp.jpg

PIUwW1l.jpg

Sanded down.  It already had 3 coats of high gloss white paint on it.  I added the first coat of Cardinal Red and it became apparent to me, that I would need much more.  So I have ordered a case and should have later this week. Each piece will take at least 3 coats to make a pure color and high gloss.

Here are the pictures:

8nsbwqz.jpg?1

pCoJvFC.jpg

GsbpDdq.jpg

CbQplPs.jpg

QFDizmR.jpg

Got the Black Series Figure in finally.  Here is 1 picture.  By looking at the back (no picture posted yet) there will be some painting differences from the FOTK.

I will take some close-ups of the torso tonight (front and back), So I can finish that portion, once my case of paint comes in (12 cans).

InJ8Yzd.jpg

Edited by CrookKnight

Finalizing yoke, chest and backplate.  It appears the backplate on the figure has the circle part painted red.  Since this is the only reference, do I need to paint this red or keep it black.

bt4fMn8.jpg

Here is my backpiece:  The black circle only has a light coat on it right now until I get confirmation on red or black.

FErTAXg.jpg

For the upper torso that is now painted but not assembled, here are the reference photos.  I will post the final torso photos of my build this weekend including shoulder bells, biceps and forearms.

sqhUPim.jpg

fgpdUuf.jpg

XbzKwiF.jpg

ucNjjt6.jpg

6wwyH78.jpg

Sneak peak of upper body parts going through final painting.

dRvtbih.jpg

This paint is very shiny, but I am concerned about is scratching or rubbing off.  Typically I do not add a clear coat or some sort of protectant since I usually paint white over white.  Anyone got any recommendations.  I was just going to leave it as is, but I am concerned about the chest plate rubbing on the abs.

• Like 1

I added foam in areas I knew would rub, under shoulder to bicep, backplate to TD, under chest to yoke.

I would stick with red on the back plate for the moment, you could always have a black sticker on hand for approval purposes of it's needed ;)

I use clear on armor but I use automotive acrylic paint, it's saved me some paint scuffing over tiime

• Like 1

Have you had a look in the Phasma FB build group, I notice quite a bit of info there about the cape and patterns.

Cape question:

The picture from the book and the Action Figure show 2 different possibilities.

The book version shows no stripe and worn on the right shoulder:

wosm8Ds.jpg

The Action Figure shows the cape on the left shoulder with a silver border.  Which one do I use?

fKqLnYU.jpg

Personally I would think the figure as that is what the LMO's are basing the costume on. You could always contact the LMO's directly and see what their feelings are lmo@501st.com

When having a look through the Phasma FB group I notice there was some plans for cape, may be worth a look.

Yep, talk with the LMO's on both the boots and the cape before making any decisions, I'm sure they would like to be part of your process and it will make life easier for you in the long run.

The Phasma book jacket has it on the right as well. I always took that as just an effect for juxtaposition as they were "enemies" and therefore "opposites." However using the logic that it is "a uniform" and should be "uniform" I feel like it should be on the left. Just like all pauldrons are worn on the same arm. Drastically different armor, but they are both captains.

• Like 1

And Phasma made her armor by using scans from a FOTK and adding her spin to it unlike Cardinal's first order supplied armor ;) 

• Like 1

I agree with everyone and will email the LMO to get their input on the cape and boots, what I have posted already, and their thoughts on primarily using the figure minus the helmet.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, CrookKnight said:

I agree with everyone and will email the LMO to get their input on the cape and boots, what I have posted already, and their thoughts on primarily using the figure minus the helmet.

Ive given the LMO's a heads up that you might be sending them an email. They are ready when you are :)

• Like 1

7 hours ago, CrookKnight said:

I sent an email to the LMO today in order to get his/her opinion.

There are 4 of them so hopefully one of them gets back to you quickly. I just PM'd them to let them know you have sent the email.

• Like 1

There are 4 of them so hopefully one of them gets back to you quickly. I just PM'd them to let them know you have sent the email.

Hopefully before this weekend. I plan on working on this over the weekend. Wife is out of town so I have plenty of time...plus I am working on 2 FOTK commissions at the same time.

• Like 1