SB_Sneetch

Testing the waters in Ohio

Greetings all.   I am almost finished building an ROTJ Vader (build thread on the SLD) and poking at the idea of an OTTK standing alongside him since I do not expect there to be much if any trooping for some time.  Not sure I will take it anywhere yet but thinking about it and wanted to say hello.  

In the meantime, here is a quick pic of my WIP Vader.  I built the mannequin, belt boxes and the chest box (not pictured).  The rest of the parts were purchased and the Black Series helmet is a stand in until my real helmet/armor arrives (another week or less!).  

mps9FCm.jpg

Edited by SB_Sneetch
  • Like 1

Hello and welcome aboard

Looks great, Chris, and welcome to the FISD!   The good thing is that you probably have most (if not all) of the tools you will need... now it comes time to choose your armorer.  First, as you probably know I would avoid 99% of the ones on ebay/Etsy.   We have a thread dedicated to those armorers who are tried and true located here, and you are always welcome (and encouraged) to ask all the questions you have..  we are here to help every step of the way!

Since you are doing an ROTJ Vader, you probably want to go with ROTJ TK armor.  For that, you can't get any better than a kit from Mark at CFO, and you can PM him here:  @sskunky.  

Welcome to the FISD, Chris.  The boss absolutely needs some quality protection flanking his side. :smiley-sw013:  Keep in mind that the ROTJ TK is a bit different than the ANH or ESB TK - if you are trying to match movies.  Not that any of us suffer from that sort of OCD. 

1 minute ago, wook1138 said:

Not that any of us suffer from that sort of OCD. 

Well, some of us do...  :laugh1:

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, justjoseph63 said:

Well, some of us do...  :laugh1:

Just a little ^_^

Well, some of us do...

OCD on FISD?! Never! Also, Chris, do or do not - there is no testing. Jk. You should go for the ROTJ TK, as there are far fewer of those around!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LOL, yeah, OCD has its own name on the SLD... OVD.  Obsessive Vader Disorder.  :)  I have been suffering that big time as I have done a plethora of iterations in my chestbox modeling and still have more to do... it is a slippery slope indeed.   I really appreciate the insight and be assured if I do go down this path, I will be every bit as focused on building a proper TK no matter which version I choose.   

Wait, did I just read a jedi teaching??  Say it ain't so!! :lightemperor:

So is there a correlation on fewer ROTJ TKs and difficulty of acquiring parts to ROTJ TK?   And for curiosity, what is the most popular TK around?

Edited by SB_Sneetch
Q on ROTJ availability
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, SB_Sneetch said:

LOL, yeah, OCD has its own name on the SLD... OVD.  Obsessive Vader Disorder. 

LOVE IT, but I am SO going to steal that idea, Chris....  :D  OTKD.  You heard it here first, folks LOL.

• Like 3

Ok, so.. been wondering.  Rubber gloves and those with normally sweaty hands, how does that work out for you??  

When I need to wear nitrile gloves even for a few minutes I end up with a lot of captured sweat.   Seems if I build out a TK, I would not be a fan of the rubber gloves.  Yet maybe there is something magical about rubber vs nitrile gloves?  (Not holding breath waiting to hear the answer to this one. :) )

Some TKs wear cotton liner gloves inside their rubber ones, and others just wear nomex gloves instead of the rubber ones. Rubber gloves, at least for ANH, are required for higher levels of approval, but once you pass the approval, you can wear what you want at troops.

Some wear cooler options. Others swear by rubber all the way, and pour our sweat at the end of troops.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

LOL, I would guess you are in the latter group?? 

That is a perfect response too, for approval I would opt for the rubber, but if option to wear something else during trooping, I can definitely swing that.  I would even try to tough it out with the proper attire first.  ;)

33 minutes ago, SB_Sneetch said:

Ok, so.. been wondering.  Rubber gloves and those with normally sweaty hands, how does that work out for you??  

When I need to wear nitrile gloves even for a few minutes I end up with a lot of captured sweat.   Seems if I build out a TK, I would not be a fan of the rubber gloves.  Yet maybe there is something magical about rubber vs nitrile gloves?  (Not holding breath waiting to hear the answer to this one. :) )

We wear cotton inner gloves inside the rubber gloves, they tend to soak up the sweat well, keep your hands cooler too. Does help having several pairs so you can swap out during long events, nothing worse than having to put a soaking sweaty pair back on ;) . 

Hmm, nothing worse....   safe to assume while being a TK?   I used to white water kayak and I think the worst thing there was putting your neoprene suit on the second day.... always had to tell myself if I am going thru that experience it meant I was going to have an amazing day, which was true, but man, cold and wet neoprene sux.  :)