Worth getting?

Hi all, this is my first post on here after days of trying to activate my account and snooping around the forums for some excellent information. I contacted my local garrison about armor and they pointed me in the direction of the FX kit, specifically a bundle.

"The FULL WHITE FX Armor Kit, comes with ALL Body Armor parts, ALL Helmet parts are included with this FULL kit (decals, aerators, lenses, hardhat liner and clips, black edge and brow trim), Velcro, Strapping, ABS Cement, ABS Polish and a black leather holster for a Hasbro/Kenner Blaster. This kit is $$$ plus paypal and shipping. If you are in the lower 48 Continental United States, the total price is $$$. If you are not within the Continental US, current International shipping rates can be determined based on your mailing address."

they also sell the same thing without the helmet, and velcro, strapping and all that stuff for $$$.

Is the Full kit a good deal? Or should I purchase a kit and the supplies elsewhere?

why you wanna buy fx?

optic?

price?

or any other reasons?

a number of reasons.

Availability and ease. FX has been the only kit I have been able to find and on top of that I'm not really looking for the most accurate suit out there. I've also read that the other kits are much more difficult to assemble and making the FX would be hard enough. Price isn't too huge of an issue, but I'm not looking to spend over $$$ on a kit alone

I don't even know which kit would work the best for my size, I'm roughly 5'9 and I weigh 140

You are going to want to get something more screen accurate, its inevitable I was the same way when I first started. I bought FX because I didn't know any better and wish I had bought something more screen accurate to begin with. I have slowly upgraded my suit so it looks decent. I will be upgrading to something more screen accurate down the line.

Well if you want a happy medium, get the FX lite kit and an accurate helmet. But honestly your the perfect size for accurate armor.

Also please don't post prices on the boards.

I'd suggest doing due diligence and checking out AP & RT as well. FX may be easy to get, but with a little research you can find out more info. Some is public, for instance RT's information is openly available:

http://www.rt-mod.com/

Most start with FX because it's the least expensive and easiest to find for a new person. That said there are at least 5 makers out there, and with a little effort you can gain a lot of education.

My $.02...

i bought an FX kit because i am 6'1 and 200lbs, broad shoulders and a decent size head lol, you can make a FX kit look real close to screen accurate but it does take about 30 more hours on top of the usual 50 hours build time, i will be getting a MRCE bucket within the next few months. you want to get the armor that fits your stature. people your size the FX kit will not look good simpily because you are on the smaller side. plus with your size and you getting FX you will have to trim ALOT off on overall tallness and roundness. just take that into consideration and think it through, i thought about mine for atleast a year and just recently purchased mine. all armor fits different sizes and just so happened that the FX kit fit me best, its your armor and you do what you want 90percent of all 501st garrisons own and wear thier FX kits some bought for price and some it fit better, but almost all replaced thier bucket with either AP or MRCE. but if you ask for links and such people will help you out, check the for sale forum also.

Long live the empire,

TK 171

i bought an FX kit because i am 6'1 and 200lbs, broad shoulders and a decent size head lol, you can make a FX kit look real close to screen accurate but it does take about 30 more hours on top of the usual 50 hours build time, i will be getting a MRCE bucket within the next few months. you want to get the armor that fits your stature. people your size the FX kit will not look good simpily because you are on the smaller side. plus with your size and you getting FX you will have to trim ALOT off on overall tallness and roundness. just take that into consideration and think it through, i thought about mine for atleast a year and just recently purchased mine. all armor fits different sizes and just so happened that the FX kit fit me best, its your armor and you do what you want 90percent of all 501st garrisons own and wear thier FX kits some bought for price and some it fit better, but almost all replaced thier bucket with either AP or MRCE. but if you ask for links and such people will help you out, check the for sale forum also.

Long live the empire,

TK 171

Perfect response and I agree 100%. Couldn't have said it better myself! :salute:

Being a 6'1", 210lb bodybuilder who was new at the time (and still is seeing as how I've owned my kit for less than a year), I'm in lockstep agreement with Josh. Not only was FX the cheapest, easiest to assemble, and most widely available, it just so happened to fit me almost perfectly. I had to shim the biceps, forearms, and calves a bit to account for my manly muscles :P but that was all. Although my next kit will be RT, except for the helmet I have no regrets over my FX.

You're the perfect size for an AP/TE2/TM. Since money isn't a big issue for you, I'd seriously consider it. Yes, they're harder to assemble but that's why you have Garrison Armorers. Want an example? Check out this thread, done by a soon-to-be member of my garrison with a great deal of assistance by a couple of former armorers.

----------

Edited by gmrhodes13
link not working removed

I don't even know which kit would work the best for my size, I'm roughly 5'9 and I weigh 140

for your size, I wouldn't get an FX kit :)

We are just trying to look out for you and give the best advice that we possibily can, but as a legion we will support you in any decision that you may make......

Absolutely. While we strive for the highest quality costumes we can, FISD is home to ALL 501st TKs, not just Elite.

guess I'm going to order my AP kit soon, ohhhhh lord

Awesome! :D Remember if you need help or get stuck on something we are always here to help.

It's probably a thin green acetate film. I would upgrade to grade 3 welding lens material, a lot of troopers do this including myself. There are numerous people who sell them here on the forum.

We're all here to help you out with your armor! :) Just think of how much better your amor will look compared to all the FX armor when you are finished with it. It will be worth it!

I'll probably look into that, so i talked to my garrison commander and no one in the garrison has any experience AP armor. This should be fun! :mellow:

I'm laughing. You know in my garrison non-FX armor was kinda poo pood for awhile. It just takes one or two AP suits to show up and then everyone starts going "oh my". Even if you stick to FX, they'll start pimping them out.

When everyone is base-FX no one cares, but you put one next to a few AP and all of a sudden...you start noticing things...

Fortunately for FX guys, there are *lots* of ways to pimp it out to make it look good. :D

Yeah, my garrison commander really discourages upgrading to better suits and helmets. Thanks to the affordable MRCEs, about 1/4rd of our active stormtroopers have all ready converted to those. I plan to be the first trooper in the state with an accurate suit of armour.

Yeah, my garrison commander really discourages upgrading to better suits and helmets. Thanks to the affordable MRCEs, about 1/4rd of our active stormtroopers have all ready converted to those. I plan to be the first trooper in the state with an accurate suit of armour.

That's very petty and immature. Kinda like saying "I don't want anyone to be better than me". It's all fine if he wants to keep his own kit as-is (I have no problem with that), but discouraging others? How rude.