Worth getting?

That's very petty and immature. Kinda like saying "I don't want anyone to be better than me". It's all fine if he wants to keep his own kit as-is (I have no problem with that), but discouraging others? How rude.

Usually the story goes that you'll just stick out like a sore thumb, and the FX kits look more professional. I'm glad people have been ignoring his advice and upgrading on their own though.

Usually the story goes that you'll just stick out like a sore thumb, and the FX kits look more professional. I'm glad people have been ignoring his advice and upgrading on their own though.

Hah! It's the other way around - the unpimped out FX will stand out like a sore thumb. It's not the AP per se - if you had 4 Elite stormtroopers one wearing TE2, AP, FX, and RT respectively they'll look much more uniform (and good!) than everyone wearing FX and one guy being Elite. It's not the armor - it's what you do with it.

There is no way an out of the box FX looks more professional than an AP. Period.

• 1 month later...

Hey folks, I've been lurking around here a while and finally joined! I'm pretty close in size to the original poster @ a whopping 130 pounds and standing at 5'8". I've seen a few people mention the AP/TE2/TM suits as opposed to FX. Any input on where to locate such a thing would be helpful. Can I post in the So Cal Garrison site as well or is cross posting looked down upon? Thanks!

-Mike

I chickened out of AP...just too much money. I ended up getting FX lite aand that should be arriving this friday. My garrison is having an upgrade day on saturday and the guy hosting it said we can get started on mine as well. I do hope I can trim the hell out of this kit, i'm so tiny

I chickened out of AP...just too much money. I ended up getting FX lite aand that should be arriving this friday. My garrison is having an upgrade day on saturday and the guy hosting it said we can get started on mine as well. I do hope I can trim the hell out of this kit, i'm so tiny

Why'd you chicken out? Just wondering. I opted for the AP myself. Just waiting for it to arrive...

Why'd you chicken out? Just wondering. I opted for the AP myself. Just waiting for it to arrive...

That cash money. I'm a full time student, part-time worker. I've had to budget for this armor so I'm treading thin water. I'll be happy with whatever I have, even if it is not completely screen accurate. I just want it to fit :D

That cash money. I'm a full time student, part-time worker. I've had to budget for this armor so I'm treading thin water. I'll be happy with whatever I have, even if it is not completely screen accurate. I just want it to fit :D

Ah, roger that. I can sympathize with the finacial aspect. I really had to juggle to get the AP. Plus, I'm waiting on a TE2 helmet in the mail. Merry Christmas to myself. It's funny how as kids, we were happy with pretending a stick was a light saber and now that we're grown, we gotta spend lots of $$ to get that same feeling, huh?

But, it's all about having fun though right? :)

Agreed. I figured that after getting all the straps, glue, under suit, etc. you're in for about $1000 anyway. This certainly is not a cheap costume, so why not spend the extra $200 or so...

I'm a full time student too. About my only cash income is from airbrushing commissions for people on The Dented Helmet, haha. I plan to use Christmas to my advantage to be able to afford the AP suit. I'm only about $200 away from being able to afford it on my own. I could just sell my FX though..

Any armor will work for you - it's all in how you build it out. Personally I like the suit-derived armors like TE2 & AP. TM is also outstanding, but you pay a ton on exchange unless you live in the EU.

As Daetrin says, any armor can be made to fit you. That said. AP was designed for people around 5' 11", 150lbs (original actors were all about this size). AP is the easiest to fit for small guys like us. I'm 5'7". don't let it scare you if no one in your garrison has built an AP. Most of the suits are ABS or hips (another form of abs but softer), so plastic is plastic. If they've cut an FX suit they can cut an AP suit. the only additional work in building an AP kit is trimming. Use a dremel and it goes fast. Get some troopers to help and it goes even faster. IMO the AP helmet is easier to build than FX. Its a two piece helmet vs three piece for FX.

I hear that about the funds. When I first did my Sandie, I bought the armor first. Boots shortly after. Then, bought the backpack later, then the hyperfirm after that. I had to keep buying in phases as money allowed. I'm happy with how it turned out, but I had never even heard of AP or TE armor at the time. I knew no one in the Legion either, so I did everything on my own. I wish I had known of these boards back then. Would have saved me alot of time and bloodshed. :)

Interestingly though, after I got the FX bucket, I KNEW instinctively that it was goofy looking. Only after seeing how large it was did I upgrade to an AP helmet. Made all the difference.