Photography tip for builders

CableGuy

Hi all,
As we’re all sharing helmet pics (WIPs, clearance etc.), I thought I’d share a little photography tip for anyone that wants to give it a go.

As many of us use smart phones to quickly snap out progress, holding the camera too close to the subject will cause some distortion, leading the the helmet looking “droopy”.

Try taking a couple of steps back and zooming in - this will look much closer to how the human eye sees it.

03f6361fd6737ffbdb2bf33b1a073922.jpg&key=e9ebe253c852b12f46f1d52b02df8dce2221ea4fd649b1a1ac1ba40036631c83

Here’s an example when taking pictures from all angles;

24ea9738aaeb478e0d33a254f2837ced.jpg

Edited by gmrhodes13
link removed no longer working
  • Like 8

On 3/14/2020 at 9:59 PM, CableGuy said:
Hi all,
As we’re all sharing helmet pics (WIPs, clearance etc.), I thought I’d share a little photography tip for anyone that wants to give it a go.

As many of us use smart phones to quickly snap out progress, holding the camera too close to the subject will cause some distortion, leading the the helmet looking “droopy”.

Try taking a couple of steps back and zooming in - this will look much closer to how the human eye sees it.

03f6361fd6737ffbdb2bf33b1a073922.jpg&key=e9ebe253c852b12f46f1d52b02df8dce2221ea4fd649b1a1ac1ba40036631c83

Here’s an example when taking pictures from all angles;

24ea9738aaeb478e0d33a254f2837ced.jpg&key=9ae6fa6aebceaa59e824acbe0e6ac4a6fa55f121ce02dbcf5d8768fffce6c437

Good advice.

Is better always put some distance between the camera and whatever we want to photograph, to do that a long focal length is needed, but the digital zoom can give us a similar result at the cost of image resolution.

Sent from my GM1900 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, CableGuy said:

Try taking a couple of steps back and zooming in - this will look much closer to how the human eye sees it. emoji1303.pngemoji2956.png

EXCELLENT advice, Dan!!!  :th_AnimatedBravoSmiley:

On 3/14/2020 at 2:59 PM, CableGuy said:

(...)   Try taking a couple of steps back and zooming in - this will look much closer to how the human eye sees it. emoji1303.png   (...)

As far as I know, there was a "6 feet rule" in the filming industry back then (not sure if still is). In other words, go no closer than 6 feet and then use the zoom. :)

• Like 1

As far as I know, there was a "6 feet rule" in the filming industry back then (not sure if still is). In other words, go no closer than 6 feet and then use the zoom.
Something like that existed, but depends of the look you are going for, in our case farther is better

• Like 2

This is why, in the photography industry, zoom lenses (or high mm primes) are used for portraits. To minimize distortion. Luckily many smartphones now have multiple camera lenses to capture different focal lengths. Use the zoom one.

Another pro-tip: Do NOT use any portrait-type mode on smartphones when taking photos of builds. The false bokeh (blur) can be applied incorrectly, and in general will hide details which we might want to see.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 2

This is why, in the photography industry, zoom lenses (or high mm primes) are used for portraits. To minimize distortion. Luckily many smartphones now have multiple camera lenses to capture different focal lengths. Use the zoom one.

Another pro-tip: Do NOT use any portrait-type mode on smartphones when taking photos of builds. The false bokeh (blur) can be applied incorrectly, and in general will hide details which we might want to see.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yes, that is correct