Voice Amplifiers

Try ordering this one if you can't find it in the store. Its the one I (and I'm sure others) use. I bought one for my TB build less than a month ago.

--------

Edited by gmrhodes13
link not working removed

wal-mart sells a "halloween" voice changer which has 3 settings on it, alien, monster and own, I took mine apart and got rid of the big speaker it comes with and bridged those wires to my speaker tips and replaced the factory microphone with a cheap hedset telephone mic.

Ā 

here are some links

------

-----

Edited by gmrhodes13
link not working removed

Looks I'm going to WalMart after work! Now just to get speakers, I know many different kinds... any reccomendation for short term use? I'm going to temporarily stick this in my FX bucket, and make a permanent build in my MRCE later.

I got the voice changer at CVS for $7.99.

The dream, of course, is to combine it with aerator speakers. But for now I have duct-taped it into the top inside of my breastplate - speaker facing out. The breastplate works like a soundboard, so the volume is great. Because the speaker is positioned just inches from the aerators, the illusion is that sound is coming from the helmet - rather than my chest.

Ā 

The "alien" setting works best. By speaking in a low and deliberate voice, the alien effect is minimized. But if I raise the pitch of my voice a bit, the effect is of police-radio chatter. Pretty cool - and there's no feedback.

Ā 

The "own" voice setting kicks up tons of feedback when the helmet is on (which is all the time - which is the reason for a speaker system to begin with). It must be the strange acoustics of sound bouncing back up in the helmet. However, there is no feedback with the other two settings. Perhaps it has something to do with the audio signal being routed through the flux capacitor (or whatever it is) with the speaker. Very strange, but I'm not complaining....

to walmart!

Ā 

So how big is this thing after you gut it for final installation in the helmet? I am wondering how it compares to the TCI and if it would fit in an AP helmet comfortably. Photos of a modded version of this in a helmet would be very helpful.

This is a Wal-Mart voice changer gutted

-------

Ā 

A not so good picture of the Wal-Mart unit in my FX bucket, should be able to fit into just about any bucket. Note that I have it hooked up to Stomper's hovi speakers in the helmet.

--------

Edited by gmrhodes13
link not working removed

This is a Wal-Mart voice changer gutted

Ā 

A not so good picture of the Wal-Mart unit in my FX bucket, should be able to fit into just about any bucket. Note that I have it hooked up to Stomper's hovi speakers in the helmet.

Ā 

Thanks for the pics. Looks like that could fit! A few questions:

Ā 

1) So did you just solder Stomper's speaker wires on? Looks like I'd need to ditch the 1/8" jack I soldered Stomper's speakers to.

2) Did you use the mic that came with it and is there any modding needed for that? Will I not have use for a mic with a 1/8" jack?

3) I don't see the batteries in your helmet. Where are they?

4) What the heck is that yellow thing?

Ā 

Thanks,

JT

Thanks for the pics. Looks like that could fit! A few questions:

Ā 

1) So did you just solder Stomper's speaker wires on? Looks like I'd need to ditch the 1/8" jack I soldered Stomper's speakers to.

2) Did you use the mic that came with it and is there any modding needed for that? Will I not have use for a mic with a 1/8" jack?

3) I don't see the batteries in your helmet. Where are they?

4) What the heck is that yellow thing?

Ā 

Thanks,

JT

Ā 

1. You can solder them directly to the unit or you can merely splice them into the existing speaker wires.

2. Yes, the mic that came with it works decently enough. It gives pretty good sound with the mic sitting pretty much on my lip (a warning to anyone who wants to borrow the helmet :lol: ) and you can get a great static burst by just breathing on the mic.

3. Oops, sorry about that. The batteries are actually at the back of the helmet, tucked into the tube as best as I can get it to fit. I kept the original battery pack. Also, with it at the back of my helmet I was able to kind of balance out the weight distribution, so my helmet doesn't pull in any one direction.

4. Screwdriver set, don't leave home without one :)

here's what i did...

Ā 

-------

Ā 

Ā 

used some micro-speakers (same model as Stomper's), and stuffed them into my aereators, sealed the back with foam-and-glue-filled easter eggs. ZERO FEEDBACK, and pretty loud!

Ā 

best method out there, in my opinion...

Edited by gmrhodes13
link not working removed

Paul & Alex-

I really appreciate the detailed info and pics. This looks like a good, cheap alternative to a lot of things out there.

Ā 

I hope more people can chime in with potential mic alternatives. From what you guys seem to be saying, one can get by with the provided mic, but there is likely a better one out there. I personally don't want something that I need to have right up against my lips!

I was able to find one of these at Wally World over my lunch break. I thought nothing of it when I did the 'try me' option and it didn't work at the store. Unfortunately, when I got to the office and swapped out the batteries, it still didn't work. An occasional 'burst' of sound so there is some kind of connection, but it's obviously not working properly. Anyone else have this problem?? I am just hoping I can find another one.

Well, I just did something wrong... did I ever mention, I'm not very good at things? Well, I took the voice changer apart, and then went about lengthening some wires, and soldering together. I was being really careful. Well, I put batteries in to test, and it made some static noises... and then got hot, and smoked a little bit :blink: and then... nothing... oh well, 8 bucks and some time wasted? I'll probably just try my Radio Shack amp, and wait for Stompers Hovi's, for final fit in the MRCE... I was doing all this in my FX, just to have something for Halloween, for now.

Well, I just did something wrong... did I ever mention, I'm not very good at things? Well, I took the voice changer apart, and then went about lengthening some wires, and soldering together. I was being really careful. Well, I put batteries in to test, and it made some static noises... and then got hot, and smoked a little bit :blink: and then... nothing... oh well, 8 bucks and some time wasted? I'll probably just try my Radio Shack amp, and wait for Stompers Hovi's, for final fit in the MRCE... I was doing all this in my FX, just to have something for Halloween, for now.

Ā 

Any idea at all on what happened? I was able to score another one of these this past weekend and it actually works! Now I just need to use all these nifty tips and get it rigged. For now, I am thinking it best to keep the mic that came with it.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
Crud. I wonder if one of those all-year costume stores would have one.

Ā 

They are not a Halloween item only. They may or may not be at your Wal-mart. If they WILL be getting them in, there will be a "stick" post with $5.96 Voice Changer on it.

Ā 

It is located in the CHEAP TOYS section with the stick-on glow in the dark stars and the $.99 army guys. They are usually a row or two over from the bikes.

Ā 

If your WM doesn't stock them, or they are out of stock, and you don't have any more wal-marts, I can get you one, or two if you'd like. PM me. But check the cheap toys section first. And if you have more than 1 wal-mart in your area, and they are out of them, have a worker scan it to find out where they'll have them in stock.