Narrowed down my TK build Kit - Two Options

Jeffnmar

Have narrowed down my choices to two options, either RS or AM for my first TK build.

Both kits are available at the time of this post and both seem to suitable for building my first TK, reaching toward a centurion level outfit form the get go if applicable.

My research and feedback is leaning me more toward AM for the reasons below

- New run is about done , Dave will  be sending out a new batch out shortly so timeline is good
- I am 5'9"  / 205 lbs ( dad bod) and the AM from what I understand may fit better when trimmed
- Thick ABS plastic is used and is very durable
-Can work toward centurion level pretty early out of the box following directions.

Would apreciate  a last round of advice or feelings on both sets , any experience with builds  are welcome and possibly why you chose the kit you did when you did your build ( with regards to RS or AM ). I continue to read and read the build threads form others as well..

Thanks again for ALL the wonderful advice , this site is the best!

I personally have AM and love it. It’s thick and sturdy. It’ll need some trimming because it’s bigger but it’ll fit you no problem. I’m 5’10” and was about 240 when I built it. I wore it at 260 and it was still good. You’ll have a bit to cut off but at least you know you’ll get a quality armor.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You narrowed down to RS and AM which are two completely different suits in every aspect.

RS  movie accurate more expensive thin plastic = more fragile for trooping made for slender troopers

AM not movie accurate less expensive thicker plastic = solid for trooping but less comfortable designed to fit larger troopers

RS and most suits that have movie lineage are pretty narrow at waist unless you wear approx 34" pants, AM is better suited if your on the heavier side but not movie accurate so all depends whats your priority,  the main problem with movie lineage suits are the waist and thigh sizes and the reason I extended AB/Kidney molds on my AP kits so it can fit up to 41 pants size,  I basically added 3" extention on AB and kidney plates so you can trim them down to your exact waist size without the need of adding shims.  Also most people have a misconception, the thicker the plastic is not necessarily more durable actually more prone to crack  since there's less flex making parts too rigid, heavier and less comfortable to wear ,  you want the parts to flex when you move around (thicker = less flex) and also softer details when forming, too thin is not good either you want the best of both worlds accuracy/durability!

mf1vibj.jpg

Mark (AP)

Edited by ABS80
  • Like 3

You narrowed down to RS and AM which are two completely different suits in every aspect.

RS  movie accurate more expensive thin plastic = more fragile for trooping made for slender troopers
AM not movie accurate less expensive thicker plastic = solid for trooping but less comfortable designed to fit larger troopers

RS and most suits that have movie lineage are pretty narrow at waist unless you wear approx 34" pants, AM is better suited if your on the heavier side but not movie accurate so all depends whats your priority,  the main problem with movie lineage suits are the waist and thigh sizes and the reason I extended AB/Kidney molds on my AP kits so it can fit up to 41 pants size,  I basically added 3" extention on AB and kidney plates so you can trim them down to your exact waist size without the need of adding shims.  Also most people have a misconception, the thicker the plastic is not necessarily more durable actually more prone to crack  since there's no flex and way less comfortable to wear,  you want the parts to flex when you move around (thicker = less flex) and also softer details when forming, too thin is not good either you want the best of both worlds accuracy/durability!

mf1vibj.jpg&key=bc5f52bb14e4103bc286a5b6cb2427cf9e9bc513ba7eea4b3fe34ba681d307ac

Mark (AP)

Correct me if I’m wrong, RS also makes larger kits for dad bods ... ???

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

On 2/19/2020 at 3:29 PM, ABS80 said:

RS and most suits that have movie lineage are pretty narrow at waist unless you wear approx 34" pants, AM is better suited if your on the heavier side but not movie accurate so all depends whats your priority,  the main problem with movie lineage suits are the waist and thigh sizes and the reason I extended AB/Kidney molds on my AP kits so it can fit up to 41 pants size,  I basically added 3" extention on AB and kidney plates so you can trim them down to your exact waist size without the need of adding shims.  Also most people have a misconception, the thicker the plastic is not necessarily more durable actually more prone to crack  since there's no flex and way less comfortable to wear,  you want the parts to flex when you move around (thicker = less flex) and also softer details when forming, too thin is not good either you want the best of both worlds accuracy/durability!

mf1vibj.jpg

Mark (AP)

Thanks for the info Mark , sent a PM ..

still haven’t pulled the trigger yet, was getting close and talked at length with Dave on the AM builds .

would love some info on the AP kits , really appreciate the feedback and thanks for replying and helping this FNG out.. LOL 

• Like 2

I bought an AM kit from Dave, and am super excited to get it in this next wave! I know you aren’t alone with being on the fence about it, there are a few others doing the same research as you right now.

Another plus side for AM for me is the location being in the US, so shipping is much easier for me. I know some people are heavily influenced by the location of the vendor.

On a final note, it seems AM is making a huge resurgence here, lots of people have been buying it lately.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TheDecisiveRaindrop said:

I bought an AM kit from Dave, and am super excited to get it in this next wave! I know you aren’t alone with being on the fence about it, there are a few others doing the same research as you right now.

Another plus side for AM for me is the location being in the US, so shipping is much easier for me. I know some people are heavily influenced by the location of the vendor.

On a final note, it seems AM is making a huge resurgence here, lots of people have been buying it lately.

95% of my customers are US based so not sure why it would be difficult, we take care of shipping not the customer;)  

Mark (AP)

Edited by ABS80
  • Like 1

Great to hear you’re joining the trooping ranks. :-)

My $2; any kit you are considering, compare it directly with screen shots from the movie.

Use a free app like “Live Collage” and put your pictures side by side. Comparing directly to the source material will show you which one meets your expectations of accuracy.

Here’s an example of a notoriously inaccurate kit vs original (the LFL promo trooper*). Playing spot the difference directly like this really helps to gauge the quality of the moulds, the proportions of the pieces, the overall appearance etc.

49c1d670e61426f4137cfffefc5a4233.jpg

*this uses a hero helmet: picture for armour comparison only.

Best of luck with your decision,

Dan

• Like 2