Linz AM ANH build thread WIP

RT-Mod also. Both great choices

I tried to order from RT-Mod but after initial contact, never heard from him again, saw on another thread someone else had same issue. He had a long lead time but armour looked great and he sizes up to your measurements.
I am really happy with my AM kit. It’s really thick, nice a shiny and I had Eric make the helmet. I don’t think you’ll be disappointed

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, Linz said:

I think just yesterday AM had sets ready to go. It’s nice thick plastic and good if your taller or wider.

I’m a 6’2” and currently weigh 236. I was happy with the thickness after seeing it in person at a troop a few weeks ago. My Anovos is pretty thin. 

I’m a 6’2” and currently weigh 236. I was happy with the thickness after seeing it in person at a troop a few weeks ago. My Anovos is pretty thin. 

36aeb8f1d6ee25e765e7791bb0350c12.jpg
I think they say it’s 1.5mm think. I’m 6’4”, about 200, slim to medium build and it seems to be working out. Designed for larger trooper but definitely workable to get slimmer fitting. I particularly wanted the tougher, thicker armour so it feels more armour like

• Like 3

Quick question. Just trimming fronts of thighs, is the cover strip 20mm on these. Saw a great guide a while back and annoyed I didn’t grab the picture.
Been busy fixing left forearm today, took off inner cover strips and started over glueing process again, think it should work better now. Poppers fixed for shoulders so refit later to work out length of white elastic then final decision on ab-kidney before glueing in poppers to non riveted side.

4 minutes ago, Linz said:

Quick question. Just trimming fronts of thighs, is the cover strip 20mm

Quick answer.

There is no definite size but as a general rule of thumb most go by this:

Arms: 15mm

Thighs: 20mm

Shins: 20mm front/25mm back

:salute:

Quick answer.
There is no definite size but as a general rule of thumb most go by this:
Arms: 15mm
Thighs: 20mm
Shins: 20mm front/25mm back
:salute:

Fab, thanks for that, works for me

• Like 2

Initially worrying about thighs and shins but seems to have turned out ok, now to test fit and mark up the backs for trimming
a0e8c86f0c59af8c458cd2bd86bb2bc0.jpg4d5d4ef9f4155e3619f8691d8af79a91.jpg

• Like 2

Nice work, just try to get the bottom ridges to fit together with little to no gap as they are not covered by the cover strips.

• Like 1

So did some test fits of legs after trimming all the fronts to allow for 20mm trim edge to sit on ridge.
Walked around a bit to make sure parts felt comfortable and taped and marked up the backs to get an idea of overlap.
I’ve got quite long slim legs.
I will be trimming some of the return edges from top of thighs.
8c50b93525c158e75bd9f56efceee60f.jpgbec7da83fa0bbbf17c593b64420a2f95.jpg

I found with having long legs and a big gap around the knees that I brought the thighs down just a touch and when fitting the shins I brought them up a little higher, have some snaps behind the boot front that help keep the shins at that level.

Some like the larger gap so they can bend a little better, check the gap once you have the sniper and ammo strip attached ;) 

Great work, move along.

I found with having long legs and a big gap around the knees that I brought the thighs down just a touch and when fitting the shins I brought them up a little higher, have some snaps behind the boot front that help keep the shins at that level.

Some like the larger gap so they can bend a little better, check the gap once you have the sniper and ammo strip attached  

Great work, move along.

Thanks, good advice. I will drop thighs a little to reduce gap. Fronts gaps will reduce when sniper knee and ammo pack added but that will help reduce back of leg gaps. I’ll play around with it a bit and see how I can balance out top and knee gaps.
Appreciate the feedback

• Like 1

Should I allow more width on the thighs. Wondering if they look too slim as I have them taped in picture. Was planning on trimming little by little until I’m happy but would like to get some feedback as what widths would look best?
1a9dfbae76910e68be3fa35bdb70ad2e.jpg7a5e3ed765b4bc45da9d71e47ee06374.jpg

Nice work. That’s looking like a good fit, so far.

Something I couldn’t help but notice is the return edge on the knee end of your thigh;

3e18dd2daec2f70a3db6d385e5ef1fd6.jpg

Return edge is a personal preference, however you might find that the thickness of your return edge could lead to discomfort during trooping. Here’s a screen used example for reference.

42866c31215f9d43c2e4d2da9ed68428.jpg

Keep up the great work. :-)

• Like 1

Wanted to get left forearm done, had to pull it apart and reset inner strips, let set, then add outer strips. Belt and TD clips on order and trimmed ab button plates which I had to use dremel cutter and sanding as pretty thick plastic on these bits.
Trimming backs of legs this week
8969f7a83c4eaff77393696e69ded1d3.jpg

Looking good, may be the angle of the photo but just make sure your cover strip doesn't overhang the ends of the armor pieces, can cause them to catch on your undersuit ;) 

Looking good, may be the angle of the photo but just make sure your cover strip doesn't overhang the ends of the armor pieces, can cause them to catch on your undersuit  

It’s the top edge of the arm just needs trimming. Had a job getting all ends and edges to marry up so a bit of finishing to do when all set

• Like 1

Hi, just wondering about gloves for centurian level? I’ve bought black rubber gloves and thought I’d Velcro the handplates (solid plastic) from the AM kit but been reading up that these should be flexible and bonded to a black glove? Assume I need to buy a set of these? Any recommendations? Thanks

1 hour ago, Linz said:

Hi, just wondering about gloves for centurian level? I’ve bought black rubber gloves and thought I’d Velcro the handplates (solid plastic) from the AM kit but been reading up that these should be flexible and bonded to a black glove? Assume I need to buy a set of these? Any recommendations? Thanks

Correct, for Centurion they have to be flexible hand guards. Look up Joseph in the sales section (top of the page I recall), he sells the hand guards

• Like 1

On 3/13/2019 at 12:16 PM, ukswrath said:

Correct, for Centurion they have to be flexible hand guards. Look up Joseph in the sales section (top of the page I recall), he sells the hand guards

I can't seem to find who you mean for gloves with hand guard purchase? Belt arrived today with some handy rivets, tan leather tabs for holster and TD clips so starting on TD canister now. I also need to get one of these hand operated rivet guns, no idea which I need to buy or how they work? Any suggestions or does a basic Amazon one do the job for most rivet sizes?

Before I glue these on, can I just check they look right? Happy with larger button panel but not sure if small button panel needs more taping off edges? Just concerned if more comes off, I’ll run out of flat area around buttons. These bits needed dremmel cutting the plastic was so tougha815b977c46df9fc5f376d0e39a72def.jpg

4 hours ago, Linz said:

I can't seem to find who you mean for gloves with hand guard purchase? Belt arrived today with some handy rivets, tan leather tabs for holster and TD clips so starting on TD canister now. I also need to get one of these hand operated rivet guns, no idea which I need to buy or how they work? Any suggestions or does a basic Amazon one do the job for most rivet sizes?

I personally use Fasnap or DOT snaps, simply the best in my opinion. You can buy the setter tool when you purchase the snaps. 

https://fasteners.fasnap.com/viewitems/snap-fasteners---screw-studs/standard-snap-fasteners

https://fasteners.fasnap.com/viewitems/hand-tools/disposable-hand-setting-dies

Edited by ukswrath
  • Like 1

Busy day fitting ab-kidney rivets, cod rivet, bum snaps, TD done. Have to wait for rivet gun before setting to work on belt, drop boxes and holster tabs but hoping top half is getting ever closer to completion.
Then go back to doing legs
df5483d07e614490334f59d93c0fa6b9.jpg