Phlopsy's ANH TK Build Thread (RS Armor Kit)

Phlopsy

Good evening gents,

I became a cadet in Garrison Carida this past February and I'm thrilled to have met such a welcoming group of folks! I've been watching the original trilogy since I could walk, probably like many of you. :)

I was also super psyched this past Thursday, because at long last, after saving money for months, I finally received my armor kit from RS Prop Masters. You probably already know the Christmas morning feeling of opening up the Big Brown Box, so I won't belabor the point. Suffice to say it made me uber happy.

So I figure it's the right time to start a build thread. This is my first time doing something like this so I think it will be a painstaking process, but I'm committed to getting there.

I commissioned the bucket a few months ago but I'll be building the armor myself - likely with the help of a few of my garrison mates who have generously offered to lend their time and expertise.

Some initial observations after playing around with the parts: I'm 5'11" and about 160 pounds. It feels like the chest, ab/cod, butt, kidney and back plates roughly fit my frame pretty decently. I think those will mostly require tweaking and finesse to get right. The limbs are definitely too long and I'll need to remove some material there. I also have skinny arms and I'm swimming in the arm parts as delivered, so that will require significant attention.

Anyway, this is where we are. I think I'm going to start with small parts like the thermal detonator and ab plates, in case I mess something up in my first foray in ABS cutting it won't be too difficult to get a fresh start. :D

Edit: I'm a noob at adding pics, I'll get it right in a few...I think...

Edit again: There it is :)

zBON70c.jpg

Q0Y1WtJ.jpg

Edited by Phlopsy
Pics added
  • Like 1

Welcome to the world of shiny white armor, Andrew!  GREAT to hear that you purchased an RS kit,, you can't really get more screen accurate than that.  If I could share one thing with you, it would be "TAKE YOUR TIME".  I know that you may be in  a hurry to get out there and get trooping, but think of your build as more of a marathon than a sprint.  Rushing things leads to mistakes, so be sure to ask lots of questions as you move along.  We are here to help!

Starting with the small parts is always advantageous.. It allows you to learn about E-6000 glue and how to use magnets, clamps and such before you move along to the bigger pieces.  There are many build threads here to follow, but again, always feel free to post-up if you have any questions... 

Congratulations, take your time and most of all do your research, so many great build threads to follow jam packed with information, good luck

Well Joseph and Glen have said the important parts and I will reiterate one thing they both mention, take your time and ask questions. Other than that, welcome aboard Andrew.

Sent from my VK815 using Tapatalk

• 3 weeks later...

You guys have all probably had a work surface that looks like this at some point...maybe minus the vape stick.

khQ8usQ.jpg

Drop boxes, belt pack, thigh ammo pack, thermal detonator and ab button plates. I may go back and straighten out/hone some of the lines at some point but I'm just getting started, and my plan was to start with the smaller parts in case I bork something up I can replace them without too much hassle. No pride of craftmanship, please share any critique.

yczy1p1.jpg

So here's my first question, what I know will be the first of many. I've basically decided to try starting from the bottom and go up.

These shin parts look completely identical/interchangeable to me. They even stack one inside the other very closely. Looking at them I can't tell any difference that would direct me to use one for the left or right, or to require me to join either particular right part to either particular left part. Please let me know: Am I missing a significant difference between these, or can I treat them interchangeably?

Inside:

Go4fmoE.jpg

Outside:

IxZOizc.jpg

Stacked:

Giy3HRr.jpg

Taped:

aeo2H0x.jpg

Thanks for any feedback!

Hey Andrew so the RS shins are identical. However may I suggest starting a little higher? If you don't have your boots yet the shins will be off when you try them on later with them. I never had a work bench I had my bed. LOL!

Hi Andrew!

Seeing a raw RS kit reminds me of the time when I started my own armor build :)

As Rat already mentioned it's always better to start with calves that are too long - shortening them later is always easier than extending.. Once you have your boots and the thighs ready, you can still shorten them if they need to be. This was actually the last step in my build.

I think I started with the arms as they are quite independent from the rest of the armor, not sure where everyone else started, but I felt this was a decent point to start as the step included trimming, glueing and magnets/clamps. 

As the others already said, post pictures of your progress and if you need help, don't hesitate to ask!

Welcome to FISD from my side as well! :)

Hi Andrew!

Seeing a raw RS kit reminds me of the time when I started my own armor build
As Rat already mentioned it's always better to start with calves that are too long - shortening them later is always easier than extending.. Once you have your boots and the thighs ready, you can still shorten them if they need to be. This was actually the last step in my build.

I think I started with the arms as they are quite independent from the rest of the armor, not sure where everyone else started, but I felt this was a decent point to start as the step included trimming, glueing and magnets/clamps. 
As the others already said, post pictures of your progress and if you need help, don't hesitate to ask!

Welcome to FISD from my side as well!
I did the same started with the arms and upper body and left the shins for last. However I had my boots long before my armor.

Same here I started with the arms. In my case I did some, few things on the torso and then the shins. But I did not cut any part on the lower end until now, I just made sure that they fit well over the boots. I will do the rest of the legs (cutting the lower end of the shins, cutting and glueing the back of the thighs) after the Torso is strapped, so I can see the overall fit. 

Not sure if the photo you posted was your intended final trimming, but you will need to remove some more off the ABS belt. Should be less than that from the tops and bottoms of the boxes.

32731777924_59b9a8c5c5_o.jpg&key=91f8d65

I appreciate that feedback on the belt, thanks. I did think it might be a little too much margin but I wanted to leave a little margin for error. I’ll definitely be going back to refine it. 

Edited by Phlopsy
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I could use a little help identifying these...if anyone has already asked this in another thread, my bad - please feel free to direct me over there. This came with the kit but there is no key to identify them by. Some are obvious, some not so much.

I think:

1. Two white straps: ? [edit: probably for drop boxes]
2. White straps with hooks: shin closures
3. Two wide white straps with snaps: shoulder straps
4. Two wide black straps: ?; maybe shoulder bell to bicep connection?
5. Two thin black straps: maybe inner shoulder bell strap that goes around bicep?
6. Two wide black straps: for suspending the thighs?
7. Three thin black straps with rivets: for closing left side of the torso/back?
8. Two thin black straps with snaps on the end: for connecting shoulder bells to the shoulder snaps? Or maybe suspending holster? one rivet is in the bag.
9. Six black straps, three different lengths, the shortest with a snap on the end: shoulder bells to shoulders + bells to biceps + biceps to forearms? which would make #8 wrong
10. Long black belt with buckle: waist belt for suspending thighs
11. Four snaps for...?
13. Various rivets

u0HlPmO.jpg

Any thoughts on the question marks? Thanks for any input!

Edited by Phlopsy
identified #1

I had the same problem, so I looked at other builds and just thought about what strapping part I could use where, and I ended up with this list:

1. correct, I used them for my belt boxes, wrapped the whole thing around the belt and secured it with a rivet, and then glued the two bottom ends together and the drop box on top of that :)

2. also correct, I didn't end up using them because on here I saw lots of velcro solutions that I liked better, but if you want to use this method, you've got the correct parts at hand

3. correct, I replaced the massive buttons in the middle after my first troop because they weren't really sitting secure anymore, so I reinforced the spot with some spare strap and put a new snap in there

4. you might be right there, I can't remember using them for anything specific, I might have just cut them into pieces that I needed (at this point I should probably add that I used the practical popper method and not the original strapping. Not sure if you decided on that already, if not, you should ;)

5. same as 4

6. yup, used them to strap the thighs to the belt (no. 10) but since there was so much of it left afterwards I also used these parts for the inner strapping along the seams between ab and kidney plate

7. didn't end up using them

8. same as 7

9. same as 7

10. correct

11. same as 7

12. same as 7

I hope this has been somewhat helpful, in case you want visual support of my method, this is a pic of my inner strapping:

G30D0YT.jpg

Freddy

As addition to Freddy:

4. Those are for the bizeps to forearm connection.
5. I think those were intended for the ABS handguards to work as loops. Did not use them.
7. Yes, that's the side connection.
8. With the split rivet in the bag, that has to be the crotch strap. Connecting the an plate to the button at the bottom.
9. Correct, this is for the shoulder bell, the snap for the top, one of the other pieces (the longer one I think) for the loop around the bizeps, and one for an optional connection of shoulder to bizeps.
11. Spares I would say 
13. I think they are intended for the ammo packs, but I used Chicago screws for the belt and single cap rivets for the ammo pack on the knee.