Mr_Fahrenheit

AP Armour - Trimmed - ANH Centurion - First Build Thread

When glueing the handguards use very little glue, actually alot less then you think. When glueing my first set it didn´t want to set and I was frustrated, then remembered reading on Trooperbay "use sparingly" and voilá!  worked a treat and I used Loctite superglue:)

Thanks for all the tips everyone. I bought some of the LePage Plastic glue from Rona, and hot damn this stuff works fast! It worked extremely well and fast and I even F'ed up a bit and some glue spilled over on the gloves. I've been cleaning it off slowly so it's looking normal again. I'll post a picture soon, but I'm glad it's another piece down.

I've also glued the ab button plates on, but now I'm stuck and need heeeeelp.

I HAVE NO IDEA WHAT TO DO NEXT!!

I have the legs, arms and helmet done, so next is the ab, chest, back, butt, belt. I measured and taped the ab to the kidney piece and it fits well (it came trimmed), but the rivets and snaps and straps.. I keep seeing different options and not complete tutorials. Not sure if I should use popper snaps, line 24 snaps, tandy line 24 snaps, chicago screws, etc... For me to understand this, I kind of need to see one method, start to finish, so I can see how it all fits together and I'm having trouble finding that.

Are there any good video tutorials out there that show these steps in extreme detail? I've watched the TrooperBay videos, and the PandaTroopers ones, and I'm finding a lot of examples in threads, but I still feel like I'm missing a certain piece of information. I may need to meet up with someone to see their amor for myself. Anyone in Vancouver and have some free time?

100% movie accuracy on the inside of the armor isn't too important to me for this first build, so I'm looking for whatever is the easiest and most durable. Once it's complete, I'll probably refine my armor over time, or improve it on a second build. 

I have nylon straps on their way, plus all the elastics. Should be here by Thursday. My AP kit came with some rivets and snaps i can use, but I still have to do all the internal stuff. Someone tell me what to dooooo. What should I start next? If I have the nylon straps, what kind of snaps should I buy? I think the Tandy snaps seem to be the preferred ones.

Thanks!

Edited by Mr_Fahrenheit

I used line 24 snaps in my TK build and the original bracket system in my TD build - both were AP kits.  The snaps are the most common method, IMO.  Using snaps with either nylon or elastic (you might want elastic in some areas for mobility) gives you a lot of options for adjustments.  It is a bit more work than the bracket system, but more durable and, quite frankly, more practical for maintaining.  There are some tutorials in the How To section for setting snaps.  I also showed my process in my builds.

• Like 1

So, for what it’s worth, I did the same as you- I watched those videos for reference. But, I followed Tony’s build thread (UKSWRATH) and Greg’s (Wooks) threads for detailed reference. I can’t remember yesterday, so kudos to Greg (Wook) for knowing his exact snap count for his thread. Yes, Tandy snaps are preferred. As for seeing the few options out there, well that’s due mainly to preference. Some people use snaps to hold everything together, some use brackets...some have the torso held together by Velcro. I used mainly brackets for the entire clamshell, with rivets along the left side. I used snaps for the shoulder bells and for the right side of the ab closure.

As for how to make snaps- this was foreign to me as well. I can barely sew a simple stitch, let alone snap setting. There are many videos on YouTube you can search for how to set snaps. This is what I did as I never had done it before. It’s fairly easy. Same with rivets. Had to learn from YouTube vids. Just do a search and you’ll find many.

As for what to do next, I mean, that’s up to you. At some point it’s all gotta get done, so pick something to tackle and work on it.

Here’s what I did for the entire torso if it helps. I used Mr.NoStripes bracketing system. It’s movie accurate and easy to do:

1270ef6df64140df5605512f3858c16e.jpg&key=c978abf445023f57db30f3bc8da887c8499f02ecd47c90caf11bdff8513fbea3

Inside of COD:

351696f4cb31ea1537bfd786c669c336.jpg&key=aac66bcedec86f48ce15311d76da700a2360f676175f77fe6421dc80eaee56b2

Left side torso, rivets used to hold halves together:

00825b688d874ea6b5f6cdc730a363ae.jpg&key=5ea225ad16eb4232a037447a86f9849044ba7bb0a34d4626e86e401651805f90

To keep the chest lower on the ab, I needed to install some snaps in addition to the brackets because I noticed I wasn’t getting enough overlap:

7991c068274799040c1e47da11d33c9b.jpg&key=8b5a4058a777dcb9a3782d686e9374d9fa6838e326beab9640bf82cd3a08803e

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Bud Spaklur said:

So, for what it’s worth, I did the same as you- I watched those videos for reference. But, I followed Tony’s build thread (UKSWRATH) and Greg’s (Wooks) threads for detailed reference. I can’t remember yesterday, so kudos to Greg (Wook) for knowing his exact snap count for his thread. Yes, Tandy snaps are preferred. As for seeing the few options out there, well that’s due mainly to preference. Some people use snaps to hold everything together, some use brackets...some have the torso held together by Velcro. I used mainly brackets for the entire clamshell, with rivets along the left side. I used snaps for the shoulder bells and for the right side of the ab closure.

As for how to make snaps- this was foreign to me as well. I can barely sew a simple stitch, let alone snap setting. There are many videos on YouTube you can search for how to set snaps. This is what I did as I never had done it before. It’s fairly easy. Same with rivets. Had to learn from YouTube vids. Just do a search and you’ll find many.

As for what to do next, I mean, that’s up to you. At some point it’s all gotta get done, so pick something to tackle and work on it.

Here’s what I did for the entire torso if it helps. I used Mr.NoStripes bracketing system. It’s movie accurate and easy to do:

Thanks for the detailed answer. Those pictures really help a lot. Maybe the thing that is confusing me is that mix of tandy snaps, elastic, stitching, brackets, etc... 

5 hours ago, wook1138 said:

I used line 24 snaps in my TK build and the original bracket system in my TD build - both were AP kits.  The snaps are the most common method, IMO.  Using snaps with either nylon or elastic (you might want elastic in some areas for mobility) gives you a lot of options for adjustments.  It is a bit more work than the bracket system, but more durable and, quite frankly, more practical for maintaining.  There are some tutorials in the How To section for setting snaps.  I also showed my process in my builds.

Ughhhh, hahah, I went and explored around and found this How To section you speak of. This is great, and I'm kicking myself for seeing this now. Looks like I have my reading cut out for me today. Good news is that I'm done work until the new year. I'm. Getting. This. Done.

While I spend my whole day reading, quick question for all; can Tandy snaps be set on elastic? or does it only work on Nylon? I see a lot of people stitching stuff into their elastic bands, and I ask because I would rather not have to stitch anything (but if I must, I must), and I still want to do what's best for mobility.

Ughhhh, hahah, I went and explored around and found this How To section you speak of. This is great, and I'm kicking myself for seeing this now. Looks like I have my reading cut out for me today. Good news is that I'm done work until the new year. I'm. Getting. This. Done.

While I spend my whole day reading, quick question for all; can Tandy snaps be set on elastic? or does it only work on Nylon? I see a lot of people stitching stuff into their elastic bands, and I ask because I would rather not have to stitch anything (but if I must, I must), and I still want to do what's best for mobility.

Yes, snaps can get set in elastic. I didn’t stitch a single thing in my build (as I mentioned, I can’t sew). For extra durability, when setting snaps in the elastic strips, consider folding the elastic over onto itself and set the snap through the double layer of elastic. In this pic from my build thread, I folded this white elastic for under the shoulder bridges, to make it twice as thick. fbd1988a47dcec43c05fdc0d8858f94c.jpg&key=b2934d2fbf512652a2cf858a95b91821ea306e6d9eba2cef716efddef2d6d51210c707531fbdbce934ed8f3bc5abc409.jpg&key=1dfdaadb8beee3df4d256bd7ce5a09e9ba710f6c26ee581a9d3b463d46f127e4

The snaps I put into the torso to hold the chest lower on the ab, even though I had brackets, were set in elastic. I folded the ends of the elastic onto itself and set the snaps:

2415c05322d7e2d61299cdaf0403f347.jpg&key=62963d746db32ce5d0d0fff5e1ee73475bf850049c7ca00003cf1748085dd7a3

58c6b302897528ae3e18ebd22fc23f21.jpg

It’s going to boil down to what works for you. You may use a combination of methods to get the job done. I just saw recently on another person’s thread, that they installed almost like a hinge-like closure for the left side of the clam shell using a thick strip of nylon, ABS plastic glued onto it, and then rivets set through it all.

In terms of what is easiest (you had said you were looking for the easiest solution), they are all comparable. Like I said, I used rivets, snaps, and brackets throughout the build. I velcroed the interior of my helmet. Whatever you are most comfortable with, go with that. I never set a snap before this in my life and it is very easy to do. As are setting rivets. The bracket system sold on FISD I think was $50.

3 minutes ago, Bud Spaklur said:

Yes, snaps can get set in elastic. I didn’t stitch a single thing in my build (as I mentioned, I can’t sew). For extra durability, when setting snaps in the elastic strips, consider folding the elastic over onto itself and set the snap through the double layer of elastic. In this pic from my build thread, I folded this white elastic for under the shoulder bridges, to make it twice as thick.

The snaps I put into the torso to hold the chest lower on the ab, even though I had brackets, were set in elastic. I folded the ends of the elastic onto itself and set the snaps:

Ohhh that's good squishy. Thanks! Okay, ordering a bunch of those online. Thanks!

Ohhh that's good squishy. Thanks! Okay, ordering a bunch of those online. Thanks!

“Good squishy?” Is that a Canadian thing or an autocorrect thing? Lol.

Hey all, quick question

What diameter are the snaps you have all used? 5/16" (about 8mm) right? I ordered a bunch that turn out to be 5/8" (about 16mm). I was just wondering if that's going to cause any problems for the internal strapping?

I have the snaps Mark sent with my AP kit, so I'll use those for all viewable snaps, but will these larger snaps on the inside cause any problems? The only thing I think that may be an issue is that snapping it to the 1" nylon webbing or elastic will get closer to the edges. Should still fit inside it though with about 4mm on each side.

Thoughts? 

Here are the snaps I bought in case you're curious.  I just realized they also have 12.5mm snaps I could get with free same day shipping... hmmm...

2 minutes ago, Mr_Fahrenheit said:

Hey all, quick question

What diameter are the snaps you have all used? 5/16" (about 8mm) right? I ordered a bunch that turn out to be 5/8" (about 16mm). I was just wondering if that's going to cause any problems for the internal strapping?

I have the snaps Mark sent with my AP kit, so I'll use those for all viewable snaps, but will these larger snaps on the inside cause any problems? The only thing I think that may be an issue is that snapping it to the 1" nylon webbing or elastic will get closer to the edges. Should still fit inside it though with about 4mm on each side.

Thoughts? 

Here are the snaps I bought in case you're curious.  I just realized they also have 12.5mm snaps I could get with free same day shipping... hmmm...

The 5/16" is the post size.  Sounds like you have the right snaps.  No problems.:duim:

The split rivets are about 8mm if I remember correctly - that is a diameter measurement.  Those are visible along the left ab to kidney connection (and the ammo pack that goes around your right knee - if you do use them for that).

The split rivets are about 8mm if I remember correctly - that is a diameter measurement.  Those are visible along the left ab to kidney connection (and the ammo pack that goes around your right knee - if you do use them for that).

Don’t know how you remember ANY of that stuff. Good thing the FISD has “detail guys” like you, Daniel, UKSwrath and Joseph. Someone asks me “what kind of snaps do I need?” I’m like, “Uhhh, the round ones.”

• Like 1

22 hours ago, wook1138 said:

The 5/16" is the post size.  Sounds like you have the right snaps.  No problems.:duim:

Hey, after you mentioned that, I checked the post size of the snaps I ordered and their post size is 3/16", which is about 4.8mm.  That's about 3mm shorter than the Tandy snaps at 5/16" post size. 

I checked the Nylon webbing, and that's about 2mm thickness, and the elastics, when folded over are about 2mm as well. Does anyone know if 4.8mm post size will work on those? (I can still cancel them if they won't work)

Thanks again for all the help and feedback. I've figured out how to set snaps, and made a lot of them as I'm going for the double snap system.  My snaps are cheaper, but are still really tough to pull apart, so I think it will be okay. I've also added a few extra snaps in there, so this thing is never going to come off.  I'm still actually 4 snaps short, but I have some smaller ones that I think will do the trick. Here's some update on where I'm at:

CHEST

s8dC8IQ.jpg 8KFLyeO.jpg QJbUpwn.jpg

I gave the shoulder straps a hot water bath then formed them around a mixing bowl I had. I then reinforced the shoulder straps with bits of ABS I've saved, just up to the fifth indent, as that's what's going to be glued to the chest piece. I glued and clamped them, and taped it to the back piece in case that would influence how it would set.

BELT

zGPXgQo.jpg?1
I've actually finished the belt too. The drop boxes line up with the outside of the plastic part of the belt, and I used Chicago screws to fasten the plastic to the cloth, and the holster to the cloth.  I need to replace one of the Chicago screws that's fastening the belt because it's too long, and the actual front facing part of it doesn't match the other screw, but that will be a quick fix.

STRAPPING

cbvgG3d.jpg inqmrJN.jpg jV0MlJX.jpg

As I mentioned above, I'm going for the double snap setup. It seems each person does this a little differently, so I just tried to find some threads that were doing the same double snap setup and I kind of did a hybrid of them. I mainly used Scimitar's and Suspend's photos as reference. I've only done the bases right now, as I need to go out and get some 2" wide black elastic. For the Cod, I used a split rivet to meet the requirements, then added two snaps on the other end to attach to both snaps on the butt piece.

4wWd8D6.jpg

Here you can see I still need two more base snaps for the back piece to attach to the kidney piece, but I ran out. I'll be sure to fix that next.

WNWQXbT.jpg

And here you can see the Ab after it was attached to the Kidney piece with split rivets/washers/nylon.

QUESTIONS

I read in Uswrath's thread that the shoulder/bicep/forearm straps are actually white in the movie, not black. I have a lot of 2" wide white elastic as I only really bought it for the shoulders. Should I be using white elastic instead of black, wherever I can? (keeping in mind that I'm using 2" wide elastics everywhere with my double snap system)

I think that's it. When I have more time, I'll actually post my step by step process for all of this stuff.  Thanks for any feedback!

Edited by Mr_Fahrenheit

The only white elastic will be your 2” shoulder straps (chest to back connection). The rest of the arm straps are black to match the undersuit. I think the original straps got painted white on the inside but I can’t say why. 

Nice progress!

2 hours ago, wook1138 said:

The only white elastic will be your 2” shoulder straps (chest to back connection). The rest of the arm straps are black to match the undersuit. I think the original straps got painted white on the inside but I can’t say why. 

Nice progress!

Thanks! 

Hey all, another update.

Other than the system to keep my thigh pieces up, I've basically done a first pass on everything. There's still a few minor tweaks that need to be made for sure.

My current struggle is with the shoulders. I have a pretty wide body, and this kit was pre-trimmed, so I've been experimenting with how to get them closest to the chest/back pieces.

Here was my first attempt, but this was with the shoulders almost sitting on top of the biceps, which gave me a rounded and most-derpy look, but it got them the closest in all the places:

F8tET6G.jpg?1 PlrmH0k.jpg?1

This second attempt was after giving the shoulders a hot water bath and opening them up around the biceps so they would fit around it better. This allowed me to keep it overlapping the bicep, but it pulled it away from the chest/back pieces.

3eDWW6E.jpg d7rgaTX.jpg

Then this last attempt was after giving the tops of the shoulders a hot water bath and opening them up a bit more. This allowed me to get it closer to the chest-to-back straps.

ZyX73uQ.jpg cKpL0bo.jpg

I think that last attempt has them good near the chest-to-back straps, and overlaps the biceps well, but they are still far away from my chest and back plates. I've heard that some people rotate them a little to the front, and expose more of the back. So I guess I'll try that, but does anyone know any good threads that show how they did this?

Thanks for any and all feedback!

Edited by Mr_Fahrenheit

6 hours ago, Mr_Fahrenheit said:

does anyone know any good threads that show how they did this?

Hey

You move the snap on the shoulder-strap closer to the front and instead of removing the snap just place another snap in front of the old one...to test this you can use tape to see were it would work best. Before you do that though I have a question, how big are your bicep? From a few angels they look a bit big and if you have room to make them smaller that will help in getting the bells closer to the chest and back piece:salute:

Sidenote

As you say you seem to be wide over the shoulders/back and as a result the pre-trimmed bells might not work for you in closing that gap to your liking but try some of the things mentioned and if that don’t help then maybe see about getting a pair of untrimmed ones. As Mark has great customer service there will be no issue in getting spare parts but first ask if the untrimmed ones will be able to get bigger, mold-lines and that:duim: 

• Like 1

Daniel has already given you some good pointers, so try moving the bells forward a bit and, if you can, size down your biceps.

I've worked with both trimmed and untrimmed shoulder bells from AP - Mark trims them pretty close to the trim line - I don't think you could trim them any larger if you ordered untrimmed bells.  I don't think Mark  @ABS80 sells larger bells, but you could always ask. 

There are other kits that sell oversized bells - but then you are dealing with the possibility of the plastic not matching.  That said, I seem to remember someone with AP (?) armour getting shoulder bells from someone else and finishing their build with no obvious issues - I would have to look around at a few builds to see if I can find it.  Personally, I think you have done a really good job of getting those bells to fit as close as you can - just moving them forward will help a lot.  I wouldn't be concerned about finding new bells yet by any means.

Nice work on the build so far. You’re in good hands with Greg and Daniel providing expert advice. One thing I’m also noticing with your chest is that it’s a bit lopsided, like it is pulling down on your left side and is raised on your right:
8f1f9705b5e167b4e8804d9a3c1c2a6d.jpg

You may want to double-check your right shoulder strap and how it is attached (though from the pics, it appears to be the same as your left), and/or consider an alternative. I had an issue where my chest was too high, so to pull it down onto the ab more, I installed some extra snaps in addition to the brackets to keep it down. Maybe you can do this on your right side alone to make it more even? Here is a pic of the inside of my chest so you can see what I mean:
5c54ebf324a4bab41f253aab9c03a49f.jpg

5 hours ago, TheSwede said:

You move the snap on the shoulder-strap closer to the front and instead of removing the snap just place another snap in front of the old one...to test this you can use tape to see were it would work best. Before you do that though I have a question, how big are your bicep? From a few angels they look a bit big and if you have room to make them smaller that will help in getting the bells closer to the chest and back piece

Thanks for the help. I'll try that out tonight. As for my bicep, it's quite tight in the middle, but looser near the top (near the shoulder pads). I don't think I can make it tighter unless I warped them to curve in, but that doesn't seem like a good idea.

5 hours ago, wook1138 said:

I've worked with both trimmed and untrimmed shoulder bells from AP - Mark trims them pretty close to the trim line - I don't think you could trim them any larger if you ordered untrimmed bells.  I don't think Mark  @ABS80 sells larger bells, but you could always ask. 

There are other kits that sell oversized bells - but then you are dealing with the possibility of the plastic not matching.  That said, I seem to remember someone with AP (?) armour getting shoulder bells from someone else and finishing their build with no obvious issues - I would have to look around at a few builds to see if I can find it.  Personally, I think you have done a really good job of getting those bells to fit as close as you can - just moving them forward will help a lot.  I wouldn't be concerned about finding new bells yet by any means.

Thanks for the detailed response. I think the person you're thinking of is @Suspend. I remember he bought longer shoulder pads as he is super tall. I've been following his thread throughout this process, and have been nagging him with a lot of questions. I haven't chatted about his shoulders, but yeah, I guess that's also an option. I'll try to rotate them forward first.

4 hours ago, Bud Spaklur said:

You may want to double-check your right shoulder strap and how it is attached (though from the pics, it appears to be the same as your left), and/or consider an alternative. I had an issue where my chest was too high, so to pull it down onto the ab more, I installed some extra snaps in addition to the brackets to keep it down. Maybe you can do this on your right side alone to make it more even? Here is a pic of the inside of my chest so you can see what I mean

Yes, great catch. I'll try evening that out for sure. I just ran out of e-6000, so I'll have to go pick up my third tube. (FYI, if you need to squeeze more e-6000 out of a tube, use pliers and give it hell. You'll get a lot more out!)

ANOTHER QUESTION

Once I get more e-6000, I'll be able to set the thigh strapping on and take a full body photo. Does everyone use the Uswrath method of strapping the thigh to a hidden belt? Or is there some other way to keep the thighs from slipping?

Also, do the shins require strapping? or do they just rest on the boot? I feel like they rest on the boot, but just want to ask in case I've missed something.

Thanks all! I really appreciate it!

Edited by Mr_Fahrenheit

8 minutes ago, Mr_Fahrenheit said:

Thanks for the detailed response. I think the person you're thinking of is @Suspend. I remember he bought longer shoulder pads as he is super tall. I've been following his thread throughout this process, and have been nagging him with a lot of questions. I haven't chatted about his shoulders, but yeah, I guess that's also an option. I'll try to rotate them forward first.

Hey, I think there's a bit of confusion here.  I think Wook meant that Mark at AP may sell larger shoulder bells.  I'm just using the regular AP bells.

Pandatrooper had a nice shot showing different bells.  Apparently the AM bells are quite a bit larger.  Maybe something to consider if nothing else works out?

Mark (Suspend)