A pretty short trooper

Triplet99c

You should be okay trimming them prior, but it's always a good idea to check it all the same.

I'm mostly just wondering if I should wait to trim my thighs until I try them on with my ab piece

Sent from my LGLS992 using Tapatalk

Sent from my VK815 using Tapatalk

Nice progress so far, Taylor. :duim:

Just an observation. I know it's early days and you are currently in the "tape bits up" phase, and it might just be the angle of the photos, however it looks like you might be sizing the shins and thighs a little on the big side. Usual rule of thumb is to leave around a fingers width around most limb parts (some suggest a little more around the top of the thighs for mobility), so that the armor is a nice fit to the wearer. Nice and snug around the boots is also a nice look. 

Here's a nice example of the fit around the boot and lower leg:

c4878685bb49c350d547758f232a6ccc.png

1ab47569271177bb2200856f84729ed9.jpg

Keep up the great work. :-)

• Like 1

Nice progress so far, Taylor. default_duim.gif

Just an observation. I know it's early days and you are currently in the "tape bits up" phase, and it might just be the angle of the photos, however it looks like you might be sizing the shins and thighs a little on the big side. Usual rule of thumb is to leave around a fingers width around most limb parts (some suggest a little more around the top of the thighs for mobility), so that the armor is a nice fit to the wearer. Nice and snug around the boots is also a nice look. 

c4878685bb49c350d547758f232a6ccc.png&key=56974489816a984b601f6acc8b42194e3c96b5e4fc1be0c0b8d67c1d0c0a55a9

1ab47569271177bb2200856f84729ed9.jpg&key=61e0997ac8aca51c6a1264790ee9f0da8e9a9d3308d49f3f66baac7109f5435b

I'm not positive but I think she has been focusing on the length so far and not the girth Daniel.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Triplet99c said:

Shoot, I DEFINITELY have a lot of trimming to do. These thighs are swimming on me. They go over my knee cap, so I'm thinking I'll trim an inch off, so how it feels, and will definitely be trimming more later on. e7b58103197b0ed5398f4f0e2512d548.jpge14c671dc82cc6b8c50ec0749d966fb4.jpg1d430d6b8de0615550be9dd5479f43ec.jpg

I know you mentioned that you corrected the thigh placement- so I am assuming that you've corrected the seam placement to show up in the front.  But I don't know if you realized that in these pics, you've got the left shin on the right leg.  You can tell this because the deeper swoop always goes to the inner thigh for easier mobility.  :)   Just swap your thigh, and you'll be golden.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Triplet99c said:

I'm mostly just wondering if I should wait to trim my thighs until I try them on with my ab piece

Yes!!!  You should only be sizing your thighs to fit for width at this point, not length.  Don't trim those thighs down just yet!  It's very important to make sure your torso is correctly fitted first.  To look best, the tops of the thighs and the bottom of the cod should have as little black as possible between them (still allowing for relative comfort to walk, of course).  The thigh tops and cod bottom edges should kind of fit like loose puzzle pieces.  

I made the mistake of trimming my thighs without the torso, and overtrimmed them waaaay too much.  They seemed fine at the time on their own, but once the torso was on- yikes!  An expensive mistake for sure.  I had to order new thighs.  I didn't make that mistake again.  :) 

Adding some pics so you can see my overtrimmed vs. better trimmed (i.e. trimmed with correctly fitting torso on): 

Overtrimmed thighs.  They fit high, but leave too much of a gap at the knees.
31494062553_4d1b320329.jpg&key=5e8f893b3

When I lowered them into a better position at the knees, I ended up with too much black showing at the hips.  Gah!
32185261291_fd67bdbe34.jpg&key=7593968fd

Below you can see my second set of thighs after trimming around the properly-fitted torso.

34937374894_bafae3810f.jpg&key=1a17ad055

Edited by Cricket
  • Like 2

Yeah, just as Rat mentioned, I was focusing on length and not circumference. I'm still trying to figure out how much to trim from the sides. As for picture angle, I have no helpers, I'm completely alone on this, even with pictures

Nice progress so far, Taylor. default_duim.gif

c4878685bb49c350d547758f232a6ccc.png&key=56974489816a984b601f6acc8b42194e3c96b5e4fc1be0c0b8d67c1d0c0a55a9

1ab47569271177bb2200856f84729ed9.jpg&key=61e0997ac8aca51c6a1264790ee9f0da8e9a9d3308d49f3f66baac7109f5435b

• Like 1

Ohh, I'll definitely be trying them on with my ab piece first, then! Thanks for the advice!

Yes!!!  You should only be sizing your thighs to fit for width at this point, not length.  Don't trim those thighs down just yet!  It's very important to make sure your torso is correctly fitted first.  To look best, the tops of the thighs and the bottom of the cod should have as little black as possible between them (still allowing for relative comfort to walk, of course).  The thigh tops and cod bottom edges should kind of fit like loose puzzle pieces.  

I made the mistake of trimming my thighs without the torso, and overtrimmed them waaaay too much.  They seemed fine at the time on their own, but once the torso was on- yikes!  An expensive mistake for sure.  I had to order new thighs.  I didn't make that mistake again.   

Adding some pics so you can see my overtrimmed vs. better trimmed (i.e. trimmed with correctly fitting torso on): 

Overtrimmed thighs.  They fit high, but leave too much of a gap at the knees.
31494062553_4d1b320329.jpg&key=5e8f893b395a76711e3e28c4e1a72d27be2dcfd155ca63fe08b049c1ca97d8f8

When I lowered them into a better position at the knees, I ended up with too much black showing at the hips.  Gah!
32185261291_fd67bdbe34.jpg&key=7593968fd60bf4905f9502291d156dd4ab25cf04c3445a90b4ec8850f2bf0f61

Below you can see my second set of thighs after trimming around the properly-fitted torso.

34937374894_bafae3810f.jpg&key=1a17ad0551f255cac022ce0e9342ebde8946be0494f617dbaa71ac3379a41efb

Yeah, just as Rat mentioned, I was focusing on length and not circumference. I'm still trying to figure out how much to trim from the sides. As for picture angle, I have no helpers, I'm completely alone on this, even with pictures

Good stuff.
I can see that you have some great troopers helping you along the way. You’re not alone with the FISD behind you. ;-)

Keep up the good work. :-)
  • Like 1

@Cricket I tried on the ab plate with the thighs like I mentioned, and yeah, I certainly have some trimming to do for all three pieces. Sorry for the awkwardness I had to bend my knees forward in order to get the thighs to stay up, because I had to hold up the ab plate too. But yeah, the thighs and ab create that U shape 4387033d45df98d046ba949f16b2af25.jpg

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Rat said:

I'm not positive but I think she has been focusing on the length so far and not the girth Daniel.

Okey...I can`t hold it in any longer ….(sorry for the hijack Taylor^_^)….You insist on calling me Dan but Dan you call Daniel altough he is to be called Dan and I´m Daniel although we both are named Daniel! (just pulling you leg Rat...but still beeing serious about the name-calling:lol:)

What`s Life without love and humor:)

• Like 2

Gotta have some laughs in life

Okey...I can`t hold it in any longer ….(sorry for the hijack Taylor)….You insist on calling me Dan but Dan you call Daniel altough he is to be called Dan and I´m Daniel although we both are named Daniel! (just pulling you leg Rat...but still beeing serious about the name-calling)

What`s Life without love and humor

• Like 2

Okey...I can`t hold it in any longer ….(sorry for the hijack Taylor)….You insist on calling me Dan but Dan you call Daniel altough he is to be called Dan and I´m Daniel although we both are named Daniel! (just pulling you leg Rat...but still beeing serious about the name-calling:lol:)

Haha. Thanks, Dan. ;-)
  • Like 2

Okey...I can`t hold it in any longer ….(sorry for the hijack Taylor)….You insist on calling me Dan but Dan you call Daniel altough he is to be called Dan and I´m Daniel although we both are named Daniel! (just pulling you leg Rat...but still beeing serious about the name-calling)

I always forget which one of you is Dan and which is Daniel, thanks for clarification.

3 hours ago, Rat said:

I always forget which one of you is Dan and which is Daniel, thanks for clarification.

Just for laughs, don’t worry about it:) And...my friends call me Danny:duim:

• Like 1

Trimmed the thighs 1/2 an inch, and will definitely have to trim more, since they still go over the back of my knee, and part of my front. The ab/cod plate is massive, and will probably have to split and ab from the cod, since I have to push it pretty high to get the bottom part where it's supposed to be. All three pieces fall down if I am not holding on to them, hence why one of my knees is bent, so i can actually keep one of my thighs up.661fd609d3884d6456d70618e6d71266.jpg5e4b9dbbf6cd17f5528e32c639ed55d0.jpg

21 minutes ago, Triplet99c said:

Trimmed the thighs 1/2 an inch, and will definitely have to trim more, since they still go over the back of my knee, and part of my front. The ab/cod plate is massive, and will probably have to split and ab from the cod, since I have to push it pretty high to get the bottom part where it's supposed to be. All three pieces fall down if I am not holding on to them, hence why one of my knees is bent, so i can actually keep one of my thighs up.

Ah, I think you might have misunderstood what I had written about the torso.   It's very important to make sure your torso is correctly fitted first.   What I meant by that is all of your torso should be assembled/strapped together before trimming the thighs (chest, back, kidney, ab, butt).  As you mentioned, the cod will probably need to be trimmed, which brings your cod up... which will result in your thighs coming up, which can result in overtrimmed (too short) thighs.  I strongly recommend to press pause on the thighs and focus on getting the torso pieces all fitted first.  Just my 2 cents, of course...  :)

Edited by Cricket
  • Like 2

Oh, okay, good thing I didn't trim much, then. So, I should split the ab and cod first, correct? And would I trim just the cod after that?

Ah, I think you might have misunderstood what I had written about the torso.   It's very important to make sure your torso is correctly fitted first.   What I meant by that is all of your torso should be assembled/strapped together before trimming the thighs (chest, back, kidney, ab, butt).  As you mentioned, the cod will probably need to be trimmed, which brings your cod up... which will result in your thighs coming up, which can result in overtrimmed (too short) thighs.  I strongly recommend to press pause on the thighs and focus on getting the torso pieces all fitted first.  Just my 2 cents, of course... 

• Like 1

Got a lot of progress done last night, since I got to attend my first armor party! About 5 different people from the 501st were there helping me out, including a female just a tad larger than me height wise. She told me what all she had to do with her armor, and helped me trim everything I brought! It fits me a LOT better now, since I don't have a bunch of space. I do think I'll have to do a hot water bath or something to curve the pieces, since right now they lay pretty flat. I had to press against them to get them to curve.

I made sure to ask if the cuts they were making were 501st approved, and was very relieved to hear they were. Gotta have someone help me so I can tape everything together to see how it all fits together.33da71ed077aa9d801ea7039ba81204b.jpge32e232b9f7a4e2e18c6f5b2ea86b258.jpg440e8085f4a9db021fa55db1a6fdc080.jpg0afa4fd6b73caf34b764b921dbcb19f5.jpg355903fb01b0c7aafa6e7368b6119a76.jpg

• Like 3

Not too much to update on, since I've been working at my job a lot the last couple days. I have today off, so I wanted to do some measurements. I gotta wait to try on my torso pieces when I have someone to help me, since I can't hold all the pieces together and reach behind me well and such. So, I decided to take a break on the bottom half and focus on the arms.

I measured my arms today, and saw that the circumference for my bicep is about 11.5 inches and the circumference for my forearm is about 7.5 inches, where my wrist is 5.5-6 inches. Currently, without trimming, the circumference for my forearm pieces are slightly over 13.5 inches and the circumference for my bicep pieces are 15 inches. So, I have a bit of trimming to do.

Based on the reference photo I found below that I got from a Facebook group, for the biceps, I'll probably have to trim about 1.5 inches or so from each side, possibly more, though I need some moving room. And for the forearms, length wise I'll have to cut off a few inches and a few inches total for the circumference.

So far, I just have the half inch point marked on the bicep side, where I should cut length wise and where I should cut length wise for the forearms. I don't wanna cut anything until I know that it looks fine6af7c946860f6decdbb7e83c2cde9973.jpgc3008981a52150376bf7a4e494d8e2f4.jpg7c95fb89487c5b8f01ebf225adde9b5a.jpg