Shoulder Strap Help

I'm trying to get my armor up to centurion status and I'm having issues with my shoulder straps. As you can see, the weight of the shoulder bells pulls the straps out the side. The material I was given for the straps is a stretchy elastic type material. Should I go for a non stretchy material like the canvas that's use on the belt? Any suggestions on how to fix this would be awesome.

Thanks

AntwanDeFish

TK-32992

image001.png

Edited by AntwanDeFish
Typo

You can try switching from elastic to webbing, reducing the return edge under the shoulder bell, or both. It's possible that if you have a bicep hook, it's pulling the bells down and away from the shoulder bridges too.

• Like 1

You could try and shorten up your elastic that connects from the bell to the bridge. I had to do that. and works wonders. I have seen troopers use Canvas/non-Elastic webbing but prove to be difficult to attach when suiting up (still capable of doing so though) How many inches is your elastic? What does it look like from the front? 

Another trick that you may look into that I used, is attaching Velcro to your white webbing and the plastic shoulder strap to keep those two pieces together. Hope this helps. :salute:

Probably takes a bit more time to do but you can also try shortening the length of the straps that connect your chest plate to the back plate. They seem to have too much slack so that is another reason why they easily pull out to the sides. I recently redid my shoulder strapping for the same reason and with the less slack, it does not pull out visibly anymore. Even with that said, it might require you to adjust the shoulder bell straps after that to get the bells to sit in the right position without too much of a tug going on.  

GREAT to hear that you are headed for Centurion, Anthony!  As you probably are aware, you will need to submit for EI first, but before you do that you will need to apply for FISD Legion access here:  https://www.whitearmor.net/forum/topic/16-501st-trooper-status-requests-include-link-to-your-501st-profile-in-your-request/ which is pretty quick.

In looking at the photo, it appears that you have a lot of room between the actual snaps on your back and chest plate and the ends of the tabs (blue circles).  This creates slack, which is why it may be causing your shoulder bells to droop.  You may want to try moving the snaps forward toward the tab (second photo) or even gluing the elastic down all the way to where the red line is in the first photo.

M6x4yFP.png                   lRxJ2VM.jpg?2

Ok,.

So take this for what it is, just more info. I was having a similar issue with my shoulders pulling my stapes out. I can agree with everyone else, but don't think you really need to switch to nylon, but its an option. I noticed that the white elastic you have securing your shoulder straps is rapped round the plastic of the back tab. The CRL technically says that the small elastic band should secure the shoulder strap to the fabric that connects the two parts, not to the back. I had mine set up like yours, and when I moved that elastic "tie" strap forward off the back tab, it helped pull my fabric back in and under the strap. But I do agree you have a little too much "play" in the fabric and may want to tighten that up. really easy fix.

Also, if you don't mind a little more advise, if you haven't done so already, when you shorten up the strap, double over the ends (fold the end about an inch over itself) and secure your snaps that way. This will give you extra strength at the snaps and help to prevent the snap from slipping the hole. The other thing I had to do that really helped the pull, was take a small piece of ABS and seat the snap that connects the shoulder strap in that along with the snap. This first time I did it without the ABS tab, the pull from the shoulders almost completely pulled the snap loose.

Hope this helps and please keep us updated on your journey. EIB and Centurion are in your further for sure!

Thanks for all the suggestions guys. I can't glue the straps down because I have to be able to unsnap them to get in and out of the armor. So I'll probably try the velcro method first. If that still gives me problems I may just switch to canvas.

1 hour ago, AntwanDeFish said:

Thanks for all the suggestions guys. I can't glue the straps down because I have to be able to unsnap them to get in and out of the armor. So I'll probably try the velcro method first. If that still gives me problems I may just switch to canvas.

Just glue the back, not the front. leave the snaps on the front. I am not sure of your size, but I a 6'1" and about 215, and all I need to do to get into my torso is unsnap the cod piece, left the torso up over my head an slide it on. then snap the cod and right snap.

Just glue the back, not the front. leave the snaps on the front. I am not sure of your size, but I a 6'1" and about 215, and all I need to do to get into my torso is unsnap the cod piece, left the torso up over my head an slide it on. then snap the cod and right snap.

Can u send a picture?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

@TK 71627 hope this helps!       

This is how my rigging looks 

My straps are glued here
91ItL5m.jpg and here
V3c7f8u.jpg Snaps here: 
Cj1qGMa.jpg

And here: (Note-I do not undo these straps when i am putting my armor on)
tux2lfD.jpg

I open the side up (right side)
uXswo7j.jpg

Slide the armor on from left to right
38QPHLn.jpg

Over my shoulder
wgUr3wb.jpg

and over my head
RFKOOzX.jpg

Then down onto my body
R1BEk9q.jpg

and snap the side closed!
P8sswJo.jpg

Now i must add a disclaimer here. I put my legs and boot on first. then my torso parts. I initially was going to make it so that I could put everything on then the chest. but find this route much easier. some people will glue both front and back of the left strap (side of the wearer with rivets) and only leave snaps on the front of the right side, this can work too with this process. biggest thing you will learn about this hobby is there are a ton of ways to do something, you just have to find out what works best for you!

good luck trooper and keep us posted on what you find and how you fix any issues, you could be helping the next trooper out!

Edited by Commander Gree
Added Info
  • Like 3

[mention=33033]TK 71627[/mention] hope this helps!       

This is how my rigging looks 
My straps are glued here
91ItL5m.jpg and here
V3c7f8u.jpg Snaps here: 
Cj1qGMa.jpg
And here: (Note-I do not undo these straps when i am putting my armor on)
tux2lfD.jpg
I open the side up (right side)
uXswo7j.jpg
Slide the armor on from left to right
38QPHLn.jpg
Over my shoulder
wgUr3wb.jpg
and over my head
RFKOOzX.jpg
Then down onto my body
R1BEk9q.jpg
and snap the side closed!
P8sswJo.jpg
Now i must add a disclaimer here. I put my legs and boot on first. then my torso parts. I initially was going to make it so that I could put everything on then the chest. but find this route much easier. some people will glue both front and back of the left strap (side of the wearer with rivets) and only leave snaps on the front of the right side, this can work too with this process. biggest thing you will learn about this hobby is there are a ton of ways to do something, you just have to find out what works best for you!

good luck trooper and keep us posted on what you find and how you fix any issues, you could be helping the next trooper out!

I like the slow motion dressing pics. It’s a nice touch

• Like 1

Just now, Frank75139 said:

I like the slow motion dressing pics. It’s a nice touch emoji106.png

Thanks lol. I find some people are better visual learners and having the step by step can help.

• Like 2

Thanks lol. I find some people are better visual learners and having the step by step can help.

I agree totally.

Just realized if you flip through them backwards it’s kinda like watching a stormtrooper peep show, if there was a such thing.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...