Fish's ANOVOS Build Thread - Aspiring for L3

fishgoh0nk

56 minutes ago, fishgoh0nk said:

Would removing some of the butt plate return edge disqualify Centurion?

I don’t think you need to, ”buttflare” is screen accurate and in this last pic yours don’t look bad at all. I would have placed the brackets closer to the edges though as that will aid to minimize the flare. If you’re up to it you could move yours and fill the small holes with a small plastic tab and abs paste.  A fellow Trooper @gmrhodes13 has a nice fix for the posterior/kidney overlap he can tell you about:duim:

1 hour ago, fishgoh0nk said:

I don't think a tighter cod piece elastic would work

It won’t, more likely make it worse.

I'm not on computer at the moment but here are some images of adding V tabs 

With a heat gun (or hot water bath) you bend strips of ABS plastic into the shape of a V with tabs, only glue the bottom side and the top remains free to allow movement when you bend. Just helps stop the butt plate from pushing back from the back plate.

Q6j9pfd.jpg

qrjihT5.jpg

• Like 2

8 hours ago, CableGuy said:

Hiya,

What do you mean by “helmet to face gap”?

I was referring two the two pieces, helmet (top and neck to the face), where right around the trapezoid above the ear, there's a small gap that allows room for the rubber forehead seal. I used a little bit of heat to close it off. It doesn't bother as much now.

6 hours ago, gmrhodes13 said:

I'm not on computer at the moment but here are some images of adding V tabs 

With a heat gun (or hot water bath) you bend strips of ABS plastic into the shape of a V with tabs, only glue the bottom side and the top remains free to allow movement when you bend. Just helps stop the butt plate from pushing back from the back plate.

Q6j9pfd.jpg

qrjihT5.jpg

That sounds pretty nifty - unfortunately I had set the e6000 for the elastic belt - If it doesn't look good I'll give the V-tabs a shot. Do you keep the backfacing part of the tabs white? Would show at all when bending over?

• Like 1

While the glue dries... finally filed down the fake cover in my blaster into a 3d-ified bolt with guide

ZxAd1Nq.jpg

3oqJvZ4.jpg

Before

iaRj1p2.jpg

After

tYuEbm5.jpg

I then wanted a recoil spring, and I didn't want to cut up any real ones I had so I made one out of a coat hanger by twisting it around a barbell bar

qgRkk3f.jpg

A little uneven but I'm happy with it, if I had straight wire to start with it may have turned out better

8znOpVx.jpg

Edited by fishgoh0nk
photo

On 3/4/2020 at 1:23 AM, fishgoh0nk said:

That sounds pretty nifty - unfortunately I had set the e6000 for the elastic belt - If it doesn't look good I'll give the V-tabs a shot. Do you keep the backfacing part of the tabs white? Would show at all when bending over?

I have just kept mine white, normally if I bend over people aren't watching from behind ;) But if it's an issue you could paint black or wrap black tape around them.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, fishgoh0nk said:

8y2088F.jpg

Did I mess up somewhere?

Nice work, I would suggest using a softer coil wire 

cyli2.jpg

• Like 1

Just now, gmrhodes13 said:

Nice work, I would suggest using a softer coil wire 

cyli2.jpg

Is it supposed to jiggle? I'm using the ones that came with the rifle, seems to be about 14-16g and it's coiled up pretty densely. If it doesn't need to jiggle, maybe I can shorten the coil?

Just now, fishgoh0nk said:

Is it supposed to jiggle? I'm using the ones that came with the rifle, seems to be about 14-16g and it's coiled up pretty densely. If it doesn't need to jiggle, maybe I can shorten the coil?

I managed to find some that has a really strong wire, once coiled it doesn't move, but I would think wire that jiggled would be ok as long as it doesn't loose it's coil

• Like 1

7 hours ago, gmrhodes13 said:

I managed to find some that has a really strong wire, once coiled it doesn't move, but I would think wire that jiggled would be ok as long as it doesn't loose it's coil

I found some wire... how does this look? Insulation writing a bad feature?

b76q2ip.jpg

On 2/21/2020 at 3:04 PM, TKSpartan said:

You can try shortening the elastic on both sides of the butt plate , another suggestion is changing them for Nylon strap.

So the butt flare is solved with the lateral elastic strap, keeps it nice and snug! Thanks for the idea

Now, I think I need hot water bath the thighs to make room for a larger posterior. Looks like the back of the thighs are bunching me, if i change the oblong direction it might not bunch so badly. Thoughts?

ghhPi5S.jpg

B6fPRNz.jpg

I found some wire... how does this look? Insulation writing a bad feature?
b76q2ip.jpg&key=c7c18e1482b790c31fc938054ccfc24084f15cd4f3fd0556d29255dbf61662df

Whilst I don’t believe it will affect actual clearance, the grip and power cylinders on this blaster appear to be based on Rogue One blasters. The ANH E-11 has the power cylinders closer together and the grip is rounded, not squared like this model. As you’re aiming for L3, just thought it mention it as it might get flagged.

2eaac17e40ee5aa8f6aafde05bdb5cff.plist

936f76424c85e58ba49441a640827027.plist

There are other minor differences but these are the key ones.

Again, not necessarily a clearance issue, just a consideration as you’re aiming for higher levels of accuracy. :-)
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, CableGuy said:

Whilst I don’t believe it will affect actual clearance, the grip and power cylinders on this blaster appear to be based on Rogue One blasters. The ANH E-11 has the power cylinders closer together and the grip is rounded, not squared like this model. As you’re aiming for L3, just thought it mention it as it might get flagged.

2eaac17e40ee5aa8f6aafde05bdb5cff.plist

936f76424c85e58ba49441a640827027.plist

There are other minor differences but these are the key ones.

Again, not necessarily a clearance issue, just a consideration as you’re aiming for higher levels of accuracy. :-)

Wondering if I should've just bought a resin cast rather than an airsoft replica now :P  Thanks for the notice!

The power cylinders seem pretty convenient, I might pick up a new one from somewhere, I might be able to file and rework the grip a bit... not sure without disassembly...

• Like 1

I couldn't get the left thigh to oblong the way I wanted, but for some reason, the butt pinching is more serious on the right thigh.

Kx65td8.jpg

With the lateral elastic, the butt pinching is minimized quite a bit and I'm happy with it.

How does the posterior look? If all looks ok, I'll start with the mobility cuts followed by ABS paste and cover strips

1fMkUyY.jpg

SgXKENy.jpg

Edited by fishgoh0nk
  • Like 1

Wondering if I should've just bought a resin cast rather than an airsoft replica now   Thanks for the notice!

The power cylinders seem pretty convenient, I might pick up a new one from somewhere, I might be able to file and rework the grip a bit... not sure without disassembly...

Of the two, the grip is less likely to be seen as it will be covered by your hand. :-)

3 hours ago, fishgoh0nk said:

How does the posterior look? If all looks ok, I'll start with the mobility cuts followed by ABS paste and cover strips

Just a suggestion for your thighs:  You may try trimming a little more the back section to help minimize the armor bite.

image.png.4ec39b6d0d896e9a616a880af2ed6ac8.png

oimVSxxb1yxflelDTDK6uSFr3EBgr6HD89RG6SNc72Tn4-W0PD-u1cIe-I0_CbXlYvnwl_b4g-U91cvCnKwH3HRVnZGE25Hu2gKLbd98MbGmeylBG_Dk-5o8v6W8qHSzOptWb2LwfLeEjqJZcsw9ipId5tHDinfyoi2J2CAfa_wENwX-MCLdCi5bUD8ylc_pWCrGNb78Y7aqhbCFDD7uC73X3mjVbRyqBW5er2bY_NQIPx6uNma6mFvFjTgOAUaU_A46o9sjm3o8GhIYHIq5XIjKKZlTk63FNhkZQgjSgn7g9rWKp9ZM-kSI3qaK4ezNiLddGXWZguU-0DZHPltm4ts9WX4svaPEBlhkA7f_ApjrQDPmCOn244X4KCKLLDE2mI3HEGlAJDL5VF7c0gy_VhYwwWuLlggW3UR1pnuLSmCzijviRDgpyRWW8RdTSUhPprCFyIN84_yXrsKUAEEeE1uU6OH3zxEVgzqSOlRcDgE2kXxR5IpVHMWvzHADhrzjpAEgBIhxFpmK5HsFzgZCq0kM-fYikB8I3pogn6TW2b3JvxcleIZKh29OJ4afAMz1iTzM-QVmw70iPD-_jC4bIoDlfNxIMEWnY-6EEROQQUmec0uH-wf_1LrL4J6Qp1BkvY_Oq1hRqswJ5MOamsdk4Om6QXwa3NGOgrda2Pt2QuWLcTai0q3z3UQ=w197-h130-no

9-Wl4GzrZNJY5qx1Ti6bIzimoZR2K2Hw_zfUuTNj

• Like 1

18 hours ago, TKSpartan said:

Just a suggestion for your thighs:  You may try trimming a little more the back section to help minimize the armor bite.

image.png.4ec39b6d0d896e9a616a880af2ed6ac8.png

oimVSxxb1yxflelDTDK6uSFr3EBgr6HD89RG6SNc72Tn4-W0PD-u1cIe-I0_CbXlYvnwl_b4g-U91cvCnKwH3HRVnZGE25Hu2gKLbd98MbGmeylBG_Dk-5o8v6W8qHSzOptWb2LwfLeEjqJZcsw9ipId5tHDinfyoi2J2CAfa_wENwX-MCLdCi5bUD8ylc_pWCrGNb78Y7aqhbCFDD7uC73X3mjVbRyqBW5er2bY_NQIPx6uNma6mFvFjTgOAUaU_A46o9sjm3o8GhIYHIq5XIjKKZlTk63FNhkZQgjSgn7g9rWKp9ZM-kSI3qaK4ezNiLddGXWZguU-0DZHPltm4ts9WX4svaPEBlhkA7f_ApjrQDPmCOn244X4KCKLLDE2mI3HEGlAJDL5VF7c0gy_VhYwwWuLlggW3UR1pnuLSmCzijviRDgpyRWW8RdTSUhPprCFyIN84_yXrsKUAEEeE1uU6OH3zxEVgzqSOlRcDgE2kXxR5IpVHMWvzHADhrzjpAEgBIhxFpmK5HsFzgZCq0kM-fYikB8I3pogn6TW2b3JvxcleIZKh29OJ4afAMz1iTzM-QVmw70iPD-_jC4bIoDlfNxIMEWnY-6EEROQQUmec0uH-wf_1LrL4J6Qp1BkvY_Oq1hRqswJ5MOamsdk4Om6QXwa3NGOgrda2Pt2QuWLcTai0q3z3UQ=w197-h130-no

9-Wl4GzrZNJY5qx1Ti6bIzimoZR2K2Hw_zfUuTNj

So i did some trimming today... and now I'm thinking I wasn't standing up straight when i took my previous photos, because i'm still getting a lot of "armor bite"/pinching

I cut off the section masked off in blue tape

i99dilY.jpg

When standing straight up or walking, I get a little love pinch.

fqc2wAf.jpg

Here's a better pick of me leaning to fix the thigh heights -

bgSAC9N.jpg

Should I trim some more? Or am i'm just wearing these too high?

I wonder if this would be going too far - simulating this nice "oval" cutout?

LmmQLPX.jpg

Edited by fishgoh0nk
oval

On 3/6/2020 at 6:44 AM, TKSpartan said:

Hi, The following photo shows an Anovos Armor  (centurion approved) so you can take a look to the back of thighs

image.png.bb0f8cedce5849aa74497c0f46c7ea71.png

Cheers

I think i found the curvature I want - but a little hesitant to cut more than I need - asking for opinions: less cut or more cut?

Less cut vs More cut

ezIZ8Nh.jpg CzaMSux.jpg

4 hours ago, TKSpartan said:

Lokking good, but what about the armor pinching? :jc_doublethumbup:

Don't know yet - I'm not sure if i should cut more or cut less? (the two photos I posted have been shopped to give me an idea of what my cuts would look like - replaced blue tape color with black) I think I should cut more (2nd picture) - I think I won't care about the butt pinching as long as I'm styling' :) 

Update - Based on your comment, I took it as a good-to-go :D so I cut along the lines of image #2 - Currently drying some return edge reinforcement and prepping the seams for ABS paste so I can't try it on right now - hopefully it fits well. 

Edited by fishgoh0nk
update
  • Like 1

On 2/24/2020 at 2:27 PM, TKSpartan said:

As per the CRL states :

• Any mobility cuts on back of piece do not go past raised ridges.

I think the red line you marked is ok.  Here's a reference picture .  

Cheers

9Z0XIxFbca3dVFY4-YC_QMJYzu622BCy4k35YKwm

I'm thinking due to how wide my thighs are, angled mobility cuts may give me a better look that rounded. Any thoughts?

Rounded looks kind of weird when the curvature is flattened to not go past the raised edges.

gQRgU48.jpg

Angled, I can at least prevent going past the raised edges and stretch the cut as wide as the thigh.

qAPfKgx.jpg

6 hours ago, TheSwede said:

I would avoid making any cuts just yet, doesn’t look like you need them. Wait untill you have tried it fully finished. You can always make cuts later. 

I think need them - so far the fit is not bad, but a few bends have contact and are digging into the legs.

OLHUOsR.jpg26hO4nO.jpg

I also wanted to make the cuts before pasting, per Joseph's comment:

On 2/25/2020 at 4:23 AM, justjoseph63 said:

Before using the ABS paste I would go ahead and add your mobility cuts.  The reason being is that if you patch the seams first, the pressure from making the cuts afterward may crack the pasted areas (blue arrows).

GLV5yXj.jpg

Edited by fishgoh0nk