ANH AM 2.0 build... Finally

Thank you!  Tear and Trap Stripes, and Tube stripes to go!  I've been putting them off because well, mess ups will be much harder to fix with a toothpick.  

Also debating taking it apart to spray the inside black, or maybe velcro line it.... and cut individual lenses out of the green strip and mount.  Sigh.  On the other hand I'm scared to, because I like how it looks now.

Also if anyone has suggestions as to where to look in the forums for a guide on length and width of the tube stripe section, I'd appreciate it.  I do want to keep handpainting the rest, just trying to figure out how to mask stuff with appropriate proportions.

Edited by DBGrip
typo

There are templates that you can purchase that are really useful and really well made to help you paint the tube stripes and the tears/traps stripes as well. Go take a look at TrooperBay and you'll easily find some : https://trooperbay.com/ .

You can also look at this thread, which might help you as well : https://www.whitearmor.net/forum/topic/14867-tube-stripe-masking-templates/ .

Edited by hollowbodies

21 minutes ago, CableGuy said:

I’ll just leave this here...  ;)

How the hell did I forget your post!? :o Hehe I'm sorry mister tube stripe sheriff @CableGuy ! :P

Edited by hollowbodies
  • Like 1

Thanks guys!.  Based on all the input I think I'm going to try an amalgamation of everyone's suggestions.  I'm going to go 70's style.  Run tape strips for top and bottom 13/16" apart, get a 1/8th inch flat brush.  From all the links you sent the top of the stripes are about 1/4" from the cheek/tube valley.  The bottom of the lead stripe intersects an imaginary line following the flow from the end of the frown.  Thanks to the CableGuy. the first few stripes kind of lean forward towards the frown as well.  They should number between 11-16 (I'm thinking 13 for luck, Stormtrooper assigned to a Death Star luck).  The curve kind of follows the contour of the tube, accentuating it.  And I printed out Panda's to physically hold in my hand to get a feel for the scale.  Am I on the right track?

Our buckets are for us right? So why would I want my stripes exactly like everyone else's?  I'm not going for the Set to Stun trooper, or any particular one for that matter.  (Ok. Really I'm cheap and impatient, and don't want to wait for an order to arrive).  So I think I'm going to give it a whirl in the next day or two, and it will either be glorious, or I'll be busting out the toothpicks and acetone, whilst waiting for a set of templates.

Thanks for all the tips guys!

• Like 1

Sounds good - you can always correct with a toothpick anyways. However, I would not use acetone right on the armor/ABS, as it could damage the plastic. Some mineral spirits works really well for removing the paint safely.

Edited by hollowbodies
  • Like 2

Copy on the acetone. I know it's used to make ABS paste, but figured that was in a larger quantity. So you guys are saying not at all, not even a little on a wiping towel?

Sent from my HTC One M9 using Tapatalk

Copy on the acetone. I know it's used to make ABS paste, but figured that was in a larger quantity. So you guys are saying not at all, not even a little on a wiping towel?

I placed some on a paper towel and used it to wipe paint off my AM helmet several times and had no issues. I’ve actually used it to take a few scrapes off the armor as well. But I mean a little bit on a paper towel. Don’t go too much and don’t let it sit on the plastic, quick wipes nothing left behind. It’s NOT something to mess with, it will melt plastic if it’s in direct contact.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, TheSwede said:

Why take a chance when there`s better options readily available?

They're not as readily available as in my shed cabinet.  It shouldn't be a big deal, if I don't stuff it up in the first place :) 

Honestly, it's a fantastic brush cleaner, especially enamel, but definitely no joke. There's a reason it comes in metal or glass.

But thinking about how much my sphincter clenches when doing the old score and snap, I'll probably avoid the nervousness of "wipe and melt"

• Like 2

OK back to building, after the brief sidetrack into the world of painting. Not that the discussion wasn't helpful (which it was), and it has made me redirect my build path, and am moving painting up in the schedule.

Last night and today are about focusing on Ab belt pieces, AND Ab plate pieces (I plan on busting out the paints to do it all at the same time) so time to trim them up ready for paint! Trimmed the belt last night, score and snap of 4mm of plastic to get to 3mm, is no good for your blood pressure. The other side was 5mm, so I let it be, as shaving 2mm was going to be even worse. Then I woke up this morning, and minor OCD just wouldn't let me let it be, as that 2mm difference seemed like 10. Not having a belt sander, I tried to rig something up, which involved a trip to the store for some 60 and 80 grit sandpaper. 220 was the smallest usable I had left. Pics are: the manual belt sander, lol, the acceptably finished belt, drop box pieces at 12 and 15 mm. And the Ab button plates I need to finish up.64deca8266e51c997a9c88075bc6b664.jpga03eb4e4ba66693f06aa395b5bc6e2c8.jpgdfb855e9f352ae6070cf3feaf83eb408.jpg8066cfa3e9145357792027508eebbcc6.jpg74314fe79a6d4716aec4d165e40fc6d5.jpg

• Like 3

OK back to building, after the brief sidetrack into the world of painting. Not that the discussion wasn't helpful (which it was), and it has made me redirect my build path, and am moving painting up in the schedule.

Last night and today are about focusing on Ab belt pieces, AND Ab plate pieces (I plan on busting out the paints to do it all at the same time) so time to trim them up ready for paint! Trimmed the belt last night, score and snap of 4mm of plastic to get to 3mm, is no good for your blood pressure. The other side was 5mm, so I let it be, as shaving 2mm was going to be even worse. Then I woke up this morning, and minor OCD just wouldn't let me let it be, as that 2mm difference seemed like 10. Not having a belt sander, I tried to rig something up, which involved a trip to the store for some 60 and 80 grit sandpaper. 220 was the smallest usable I had left. Pics are: the manual belt sander, lol, the acceptably finished belt, drop box pieces at 12 and 15 mm. And the Ab button plates I need to finish up.64deca8266e51c997a9c88075bc6b664.jpga03eb4e4ba66693f06aa395b5bc6e2c8.jpgdfb855e9f352ae6070cf3feaf83eb408.jpg8066cfa3e9145357792027508eebbcc6.jpg74314fe79a6d4716aec4d165e40fc6d5.jpg

Nice work. That belt is looking lovely. :-)

Here’s a good reference pics for when you start measuring up to cut those ab button plates.

0304b909f716b925f647b66e809faccc.jpg

9 minutes ago, CableGuy said:

Nice work. That belt is looking lovely. :-)

Here’s a good reference pics for when you start measuring up to cut those ab button plates.

Oh! I'm stealing this! (Or more appropriately, saving it.) Was thinking my smaller plate was too big..  Thanks!

• Like 1

Thanks! I spent an hour and a bit pouring through reference photos and hi-res screen grabs last night. Boy, do they make me feel better about my mediocre craftsmanship (granted I don't have to whip up 50 odd suits on a production schedule). I also found a collection of "Billgrams" which I find to be incredibly useful. More to come...

• Like 2

OK...trimmed up the detail pieces. Pics show them placed on the Ab plate. In one I slid it down to show the space behind. This is an AM 2.0 suit (oh yeah that's in the title). Looking for thoughts. Should I trim more so the center detail sits inside snugly, (probably to the raised shape), or just so it doesn't over hang. Also thinking the 4 button should trim a little more so it doesn't overhang either. Flow better from the raised portion on the suit....9700ba7c7eaa3401277a2f50b92b95d3.jpg90cdff6c1d23f970f7eaffd70f3f369c.jpg

• Like 1

The small 4-button one could definitely get some more trimming! The large one could also get some more trimming, at least on the top and bottom, so that it does not over hang. 

It's not too much of a big deal if they are not trimmed as much as the reference picture posted a few posts before, but it's nice when the button plates still sit on the raised shape without going too much past the border.

Still a good job though - it's going well! :)

Edited by hollowbodies

I actually just finished that on my AM 2.0 last night. I sanded it down to flush. (Not to where it sits down inside.) rounded corners on the bigger plate and flush, squared corners on the smaller plate. But I’m also just a noob.

• Like 1

I've been lurking your build, you're doing some good work. I'm in agreement with the 4 button for sure. Was really wondering more about the big plate, and think I will go a similar direction.

I actually just finished that on my AM 2.0 last night. I sanded it down to flush. (Not to where it sits down inside.) rounded corners on the bigger plate and flush, squared corners on the smaller plate. But I’m also just a noob.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Hydraken said:

I've seen some people rounding the corners and others leaving them squared. Most of the screen-used suits had them pretty much squared, but some people who rounded the corners still got Centurion without any problems. I guess it's more of a personnal preference then! :)

I've seen some people rounding the corners and others leaving them squared. Most of the screen-used suits had them pretty much squared, but some people who rounded the corners still got Centurion without any problems. I guess it's more of a personnal preference then!

Things being left open to interpretation worries the crap outta me!

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Hydraken said:

Things being left open to interpretation worries the crap outta me! emoji23.png

Didn't mean to!! :o :( You can square them like the picture below if you want. But I was just saying that if you like your rounded corners better, this should not pose much trouble, as I've seen many people reach Centurion with rounded corners. That's all! :)

• Like 1