ANH AM 2.0 build... Finally

Alrighty then, so I dabbled in a build (well helmet) a couple of years ago, but then got caught up in life and such. I finally pulled the trigger on an AM 2.0 lite kit a couple of weeks ago, and a starting the build process now. Have spent the past few nights pouring through build threads, so here we go, aiming for EIB, and eventually Centurion. Starting with the biceps.... Last night, and now, is work on the return edges. Hoping to keep a little return edge on the outer biceps, and am now in the process of removing the rest. My first worry is how much to remove from the upper inner bicep as it's hard to tell, what is a return edge, and what is part of that smooth curve. Obligatory BBB, then the right outer bicep, and a couple of pics of the left inner (the top being my biggest concern)8526e135d08ed10b9d9dcc7843336256.jpg6e970b380a8cf82d752740eaaa2e4f54.jpg64aa792ae3c9672667167d489f42655b.jpg4a55c09faba694188d388fa4a4e6719b.jpgbc421c264b53babde4215fe074a1c68a.jpg

Sent from my HTC One M9 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Everything after the curve is edge. You can go down as far as you want. I have the same armor and I cut along the bend then sanded it a bit to even it out. Not a perfect pic cause my pic skills aren’t great but I marked it in red

IMG_3158.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Everything after the curve is edge. You can go down as far as you want. I have the same armor and I cut along the bend then sanded it a bit to even it out. Not a perfect pic cause my pic skills aren’t great but I marked it in red

IMG_3158.thumb.JPG.cddbb4b5d090dfaa65ff60c3c81864b4.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So you left everything in the "U", and then blended with the removal of the right angles at the top of the curve?....Cutting just where your line is on both sides.....

So finished fitting the biceps, I think... woke up this morning planning to start gluing interior shims, but then looked at the gaps in the seams, and started sanding to even things out a bit more, and have them line up better. Felt like I was doing ears all over again. I know the cover strips will hide some imperfections, but I'm not in a rush, am of the thinking, the better they are now, the better it will look down the road. I guess now is the time to set my eyes on EIB and eventually Centurion, cause if you're going to do something you may as well do it right. Decided to leave a bit of return edge at the tops. Put on the black compression shirt for the mirror shot, right bicep feels good, think I'm going to shave a little more off the left outer piece to tighten it up some. So hive mind, think they're ready to glue? At the moment, I'm planning on waiting till closer to the end to put cover strips on all the pieces, and am just joining with interior shims for now.a943d3e93b413d56015753d30de0e528.jpg95af98664730d99f87d0f400c73bfd60.jpg

9 hours ago, DBGrip said:

So finished fitting the biceps, I think... woke up this morning planning to start gluing interior shims, but then looked at the gaps in the seams, and started sanding to even things out a bit more, and have them line up better. Felt like I was doing ears all over again. I know the cover strips will hide some imperfections, but I'm not in a rush, am of the thinking, the better they are now, the better it will look down the road. I guess now is the time to set my eyes on EIB and eventually Centurion, cause if you're going to do something you may as well do it right. Decided to leave a bit of return edge at the tops. Put on the black compression shirt for the mirror shot, right bicep feels good, think I'm going to shave a little more off the left outer piece to tighten it up some. So hive mind, think they're ready to glue? At the moment, I'm planning on waiting till closer to the end to put cover strips on all the pieces, and am just joining with interior shims for now.a943d3e93b413d56015753d30de0e528.jpg95af98664730d99f87d0f400c73bfd60.jpg

My advice would be to tape for now, and build the rest before you glue anything. Why you ask? You will still need to go through fitting it all together, and just adjusting tape is a lot easier than pulling seams apart. If you can get to an armor party in the Atlanta area you could get specific advice (worth the drive).

Lou

• Like 1

2 hours ago, DBGrip said:

Would love to get to an armor party, haven't seen any mentioned lately... I'm in the Facebook group, and will be checking the GA forum a bit more regularly now.

There should be one on thursday night at Brents, he should be posting it later this week. PM me if you don't see anything

• Like 1

OK... new plan of attack. Was planning on fitting forearms today, but with LTM bringing up the Thursday armor party, I think I'm going to focus on trimming everything (aside from what will be sized) to get more out of the trip. I've marked out the spots to trim on the fronts of the greaves, and thighs, but will probably wait for hive mind approval before making the cuts. My theory on this is to cut at 11 to 12 mm knowing it should be 10 on each side, but allowing for error, with the intent of sanding down to the appropriate 10. The thighs seem easier, there's a nice edge to run the ruler off. I marked at 9mm to allow for the gap between the first hash mark and the edge of the ruler. The shins...hmm. Well it feels like a bit of a guessing game, feeling for the start of the curve, with my thumb, and then trying to get the 0mm mark as close as possible. My other thought was trying to run a pencil on the inside to generate a line to measure from, but it seems a little sloppy and may not be the best. Suggestions welcome, cod and butt marks to follow.e4e785ff73c828361ffa224ba1d28da9.jpg7de17e63213bbe1169f0bd9add883aa0.jpgbf6154a4b385f27cad97751490f940ea.jpgbdaa9aebf0c380606a2731a462cc8215.jpgbc6d251166593769b6e66edc04d74b54.jpg1994dfdd306ff1b67c88d60337a14307.jpg

• Like 2

OK made the cuts at the lines I drew in the earlier post. No disasters. But I must say, score and snap on those long runs is nerve-wracking. I'm getting lax in my progress, as I'm putting off some things till the armor party.

However, Cod trimming? 1,2, or 3? How far do you get under the coin purse?

And the butt plate? Remove at the point is it? Butt return edge, leave a little? It seems like there is a small groove along the existing return.7f4d892f14d9be2ecf245b184af99f81.jpg8ddc5186b785ab8c772acde3f40e6a47.jpg2942974e2c216b60022e1e3b82f65723.jpg

Butt cut looks good, get rid of the long section

On the cod, start with 3 cut and try on. Madding I know to not have someone say "1.2 inches"  or other absolute measurement, but when you start thinking this is made as "one size fits all" and you need to trim to fit you, it starts to make sense.

Get a mirror and use it a lot, you will know what will look "right" on you before anyone else. If you are worried about cutting too much, use painters tape and try it on and look in the mirror. Your mark 1 eyeball is a natural, after all you have checked out a lot of builds at this point and you have seen others mistakes or shortcuts. Decide what is best for you. 

On 6/10/2018 at 11:45 AM, DBGrip said:

OK... new plan of attack. Was planning on fitting forearms today, but with LTM bringing up the Thursday armor party, I think I'm going to focus on trimming everything (aside from what will be sized) to get more out of the trip. I've marked out the spots to trim on the fronts of the greaves, and thighs, but will probably wait for hive mind approval before making the cuts. My theory on this is to cut at 11 to 12 mm knowing it should be 10 on each side, but allowing for error, with the intent of sanding down to the appropriate 10. The thighs seem easier, there's a nice edge to run the ruler off. I marked at 9mm to allow for the gap between the first hash mark and the edge of the ruler. The shins...hmm. Well it feels like a bit of a guessing game, feeling for the start of the curve, with my thumb, and then trying to get the 0mm mark as close as possible. My other thought was trying to run a pencil on the inside to generate a line to measure from, but it seems a little sloppy and may not be the best. Suggestions welcome, cod and butt marks to follow.

That sounds like a good plan! However, just make sure that you keep enough so that it still fits you after you removed the sections you wanted to remove. If you're unsure, you better remove less and try it on you and then remove some more again if needed (in some cases, I guess it's better to measure twice and cut twice as well ;) ). Also, when you'll do some fit tests for the shins, make sure to wear your boots to see how it fits with them on! 

You're off to a good start - keep rocking this!:duim:

34 minutes ago, Frank75139 said:

No where on the CRL does it mention that specific area so I can’t see how it can hold you up.

Which part are you guys referring to here? The extra material on the butt plate? Though I don't recall seeing someone be denied for having it, I would say it should be removed for accuracy.

I was assuming butt plate, but maybe he meant cod. I had been using Navajo Bro's build thread as a reference for the AM 2.0. One of the times, I decided to click the link for his EIB submission, and one of the notes for approval was to remove the long bit on the butt. And move the snaps for approval. My goal is to build to EIB, so I don't have to modify after construction. I'm glad I checked it, as I realize his build is by no means a Bible, especially since I'm a little over 6' 2". Hence double checking with you guys following the build.

Which part are you guys referring to here? The extra material on the butt plate? Though I don't recall seeing someone be denied for having it, I would say it should be removed for accuracy.

Yes definitely go through EIB and Centurion applications. Fortunately the armour vendor is listed in the titles, making it easier to find good ones you can use! Also definitely use the Gallery we have here full of great reference material!

• Like 1

Check on Seans build as well, that is the one I have been using (along with anyone else posting with AM2.0)

Just checked with Brent, he might be trooping this Thursday (not sure) so potentially no armor party. Are you on the Georgia Garrison Facebook group?

• Like 1

Yep. I hadn't seen the build event (saw last weeks one) yet, so that makes sense. Will check out Sean's build as well. Planning on helping handle the event in Oxford tomorrow night. And taking the kiddos to the Galactic Academy meet and greet on Sat.

• Like 2

Yes definitely go through EIB and Centurion applications. Fortunately the armour vendor is listed in the titles, making it easier to find good ones you can use! Also definitely use the Gallery we have here full of great reference material!
I've been looking at the reference gallery a lot, but find the disrepair and decay of the suits to be distracting. They definitely help some (in lowering my standards :P, well I should say in accepting imperfection), but makes me realize I'm shooting for a fine balance between screen accurate, and an idealization.

• Like 1

If you are getting lax, start on the helmet. Eric has great videos to follow on how to build this helmet.

I only got the Lite kit, as I already bought an ATA helmet a couple of years back. It's 95, well 90, well maybe 85% done.dcea5665a5caceb051823f9cabf116bf.jpg

• Like 1