TK-12124 Requesting ANH Stunt EIB (834)

Name: Jon Hall

TK ID: 12124

FISD Forum Name: ibskyde

Garrison: Northern Darkness Garrison

501st Profile: http://www.501st.com/members/displaymemberdetails.php?userID=27882

Armor = Sadly, I purchased the kit off ebay prior to joining the forums and learning why that was bad. It's a mistake I made sure not to repeat when purchasing my shadow kit that I'm working on now (thanks ATA!), but as returns weren't accepted for this one, I went ahead and put the work into it and it was approved for 501st. If it being an ebay/recast will prevent it from attaining EIB or Centurion status, I of course understand, however I put enough work into it that I felt I owed it to myself to at least try so that I wouldn't be left wondering. In any event, thanks for the consideration!

Helmet - RS Prop master (though repainted to match the armor)

Blaster - E-11 (3D-printed kit from Blaster Master)

Full body - front

o0mxXIO.jpg

Full body - rear

fcZWeLJ.jpg

Full body - left

ankMSeW.jpg

Full body - left - arms raised

HRvRJbu.jpg

Full body - right

8nvyCHw.jpg

Full body - right - arms raised

JZRL6VO.jpg

Action

jYgCI2K.jpg

Helmet - front

6SwKedZ.jpg?1

Helmet - rear

uzNNNUF.jpg?1

Helmet - right

08qtOsb.jpg?1

Helmet - left

oXF72gF.jpg?1

Helmet - neck trim

xYGHQut.jpg

Helmet - lens

ojF0C4c.jpg

Helmet - front detail

SugCCFT.jpg?1

Torso - strapping/snaps/rivets

mtGoyfk.jpg

Sniper knee plate - right

Rjk9sE9.jpg

Sniper knee plate - left

01Y6Mq6.jpg

Sniper knee plate - connection (glue)

BEnJl0s.jpg

Belt

pYxKZwp.jpg

eyW6vtV.jpg

Holster - connection

GbfmvPw.jpg

Drop box - left

fcdQNde.jpg?1

cb7Rgnh.jpg?1

Drop box - right

oOs4kgi.jpg?1

rHyR8yP.jpg?1

Forearms - no return edge

LZWIG5o.jpg

Boots

i5MUElF.jpg

Neck seal

SwVw5vD.jpg

Hand guards - flexible (rubber, I believe)

u7ZjAID.jpg?1

Gloves (rubber)

2DxLnUO.jpg

Ab/kidney connection (split rivets)

QMxNQMS.jpg?1

Ab detail

3TdMMZF.jpg?1

Shoulder straps

5YzS8ak.jpg?1

Ab/Butt connection (split rivet and snaps)

tmH1K79.jpg?1

Thigh ammo belt - split rivets

RD3wGie.jpg?1

JPLgKal.jpg?1

Thermal detonator details

fnTaUhu.jpg

E-11 (was difficult to show the 6 t-tracks in a single picture angle. Also, the picture showing the d-ring also has the counter before I got my TK ID... I included a more recent picture now that I've added the ID)

wgTJlDS.jpg

3hnv0JU.jpg

789nQqD.jpg

zTYqic5.jpg

flEKGM6.jpg

uu07RSd.jpg

eDlScTp.jpg

Thanks again!

Jon

Edited by IBSkyde
Forgot to include name/TK ID/Garrison info. Also added action shot and rear pic of the belt.

Hi Jon,

Overall, it looks like you’ve made a good job of what you’ve got. Looks like it fits you nicely.

Something that I noticed is the neck gap at the back. Not sure if you are able to raise the back plate a little as it’s currently sitting a little low? Can’t really gauge your height from the photos. If you have room to move the middle section up (butt, kidney/ab etc), raising it might help even out the rear neck gap. :-)

If you’re aiming for Centurion (or just taking the suit to the next level) you could look into a few things, such as;

1/ adding the “Han snap” on the right hand side of the ab (pic 1)
2/ remove the white paint from the cod and butt fixing (pic 2)
3/ possibly look at the spacing of your side rivets (pic 3)

As far as I’m aware, these won’t affect your EIB application, just things to consider if you wanted to make future improvements.

Pic 1
075a2850d1ae923d9d70b56b6c43f570.jpg

Pic 2
60a22bc781a22e4c4fb6de77e50c1582.jpg

Pic 3 (FISD ref gallery)
03b708cf76f9bd230bb8dd85b4201c59.jpg

Best of luck with your application. :-)

Best wishes
Dan

Thanks Dan - I appreciate the help and feedback! I’m about 6’0”, 215 pounds (though was a bit heavier at the time of the pictures...  been on my way down from 260 since February :)  ). I had a tough time finding a good place for the back... I tried pulling it higher but without opening the gap up between the back and kidney, it meant that the ab didnt line up well with the kidney. The ab wasup about as high as i could pull it without changing my singing voice from a tenor to a soprano :) I’ll give it another shot though. 

I’ll get the snap on the ab added and the paint off the cod/butt fasteners. Thanks again!

Jon

• Like 1

I added a snap to the ab, and I took as much paint as I could get off the butt snaps, and just replaced the cod rivet. If it's still not enough on the snaps, I'll just replace those as well once I get more in.

mqJuzPX.jpg

jyd3xWr.jpg

As for the spacing between my neck and the top of the back plate, I tried bringing that up a bit (was a bit awkward holding it up as I ran out of snaps, so haven't been able to shorten the shoulder straps yet). It appears I can bring everything up a bit, but in doing so, I can't help but feel like my butt is pouring out of the bottom (unless the thong look works for me and I don't realize it ;) ). Not sure what the lesser evil would be... leaving it as-is with more space above the back and below my neck, or moving everything up and creating more space between my thighs and butt plate (with some exposed flab), or creating a bit of a gap between the kidney and butt plates to allow the back to go up and the butt to stay down.

Ez7zCCF.jpg

• Like 1

Honestly, i think your armor looks good enough for EIB; you have done an amazing job making the ebay armor to 501st standards.

And the adjustments make them even better.

The only critique i have left is on your belt.

The 3 square buttons look flat

also the trimmed 45 degree angles do not look big enough

(none of these things should affect approval)

Good Luck on your submission.

Nice job, Jon, and we will be with you shortly!  One thing I would recommend in the mean-time is to smooth out the jagged edges, especially those seen below.  These will snag on your undersuit and cause holes.  % minutes with some fine grit sandpaper should do it!

DEZ9lbM.jpg?1

30 minutes ago, justjoseph63 said:

Nice job, Jon, and we will be with you shortly!  One thing I would recommend in the mean-time is to smooth out the jagged edges, especially those seen below.  These will snag on your undersuit and cause holes.  % minutes with some fine grit sandpaper should do it!

Thank you sir! That one I had just trimmed a bit extra off after finding out on my first troop just how much it was starting to pinch the side of my knee after a while... just forgot to go back and sand it. Thanks for pointing it out - I'll get it taken care of! 

Hey Jon Joseph or myself will be with you shortly, while you're waiting please post a link to your 501st profile at the top of the page thank you.

Hi Jon, thank you for your EI application, let's have a look!

CRL and EIB Application Requirements:

All submission photos are present, and great job on that kit, sir!  That being said, your armor displays all the necessary elements to qualify for Expert Infantry.  On behalf of Tony and myself, welcome to level 2.  Congratulations Trooper!        :salute:

Other-Armor Fit/Assembly:

In this section we review observations made by us and your fellow troopers. If there were any suggested corrections they would be listed here.  There are a few areas that could use some attention which I will go over below:

Your left forearm needs to be dropped about an inch to line up evenly with the right, which will also bring it closer to your wrist and reduce that gap as well.  Should be an easy fix by extending the elastic just a bit.

Reference Image

ohC2nx8.jpg?1   Y9HLuAg.jpg?1

Your left shoulder bridge looks a little short in the back.  Shortening the ab/back connection strap would help bring this in, as well as bring the back/posterior armor up. In your main photos it looks a bit low, but in the lower photo on your submission thread (bottom right below) it looks just right.

Reference image

KrP8DaV.jpg?1  PfBbM56.jpg

t8JLhJS.jpg?1         JnheBDn.jpg?1

The TD plate could use some shifting to a higher position.  The O ring on the plate should face upward as shown below:

Reference photo

XwTueGV.jpg?1       pA49TS0.jpg?1

I would suggest trimming the top and bottom parts of the ABS belt.  A quick and easy fix, but don't forget to re-do the 45 degree angle on the ends.

B3XAWB3.jpg?1

XXPlHoQ.jpg?2

Reference image

UYLAdtN.jpg?1

I realize that there is not much you can do with those crushed ABS belt button covers, but replacing them would give you a much better overall look.

cbtidTm.jpg?1

Reference image

pcWtXd6.jpg 

Awesome job on that 3-D E-11, Jon!  There are just 2 minor issues that need to be addressed..

The charging handle will need a quick coat of black paint,

Reference image

rH18obv.jpg?1                 nM8Ysn6.jpg?1

and the Hengstler counter needs to be moved forward about an inch.  Once these are done, you will be the proud owner of a GREAT looking weapon!

Reference image

nH0ILRF.jpg?1          w3ANZAa.png?1    

Centurion Suggestions:
In this section we prepare you for Centurion. If there were any areas of concern they would be discussed here. 

Nice job on that shim, Jon, but the rivets on your ab/kidney connection will need to be adjusted a bit as seen below. 

Reference image

Uc37S9E.jpg               JIQZd4i.jpg?1

Lastly, for level 3 you will need to make sure there is no gap (or overlap) on the left ab/kidney connection.  Tightening up/adjusting the strapping should make this perfect!

Reference image

AINRD8r.jpg?1   B72N6Fo.jpg       JltK4jc.jpg?1

Overall a super nice build, Jon, and again, congrats on reaching Expert Infantry!  Looking forward to seeing you take this all the way to level 3!

Thank you sir!

I had requested the legion access back on page 247 of that thread... I thought the change had already been made as I started seeing additional forums appear that I hadn't before. As for the suggestions:

The forearms... I actually already adjusted that spacing as I was working on raising the back, so hopefully when I next post pictures, they'll be looking better.

The TD... of course as my luck would have it, it started in the position you said it should be, but I thought it didn't look right pointed up that high and bent the clips a bit. Evidently I should have left it where it was :) easy enough to fix at least.

The belt... Easy enough, I'll get those edges trimmed.

The ad/kidney rivets.... yeah, when I first read the CRL I thought "equally spaced" meant between the top and bottom edges of that ab section that there should be a gap, then a rivet, then the same size gap, then a rivet, etc, so that all of the gaps, including from the top and bottom edges, were the same. It wasn't until later that I found out I interpreted it wrong and that the rivets needed to be closer to those top and bottom edges :/ I made the same mistake initially on the shadow stormtrooper armor I've been working on, but luckily I figured out my mistake early on so I could fix it without much wasted work. After this weekend's troop I should have enough time to get those adjusted and the old holes filled in/painted. You'll probably see another paypal transaction from me in the next few days for more rivets :)

The E-11... I'll share the blame for this with the assembly instructions heh. Should be easy adjustments though... it'll look better for the next round of pics.

Ab/kidney gap... should be easy enough to adjust when I redo the rivets. The gap looked better when I first started... dropped 45 pounds in the last couple of months though so suddenly things don't line up quite like they did :)

Thanks again for the approval and the suggestions!

2 hours ago, IBSkyde said:

Thank you sir!I had requested the legion access back on page 247 of that thread... I thought the change had already been made as I started seeing additional forums appear that I hadn't before.

I gotcha squared away on that, Jon.  It was my mistake.

As noted, some of the items like the TD and ABS belt are suggestions rather than requirements for level 3.  If you look at many of the Troopers in the films, there will always be the "odd one out" who's costume has a mistake, but for the sake of overall appearance we suggest that armor match the overall "ideal" look, which provides continuity and gives the wearer a better appearance.  See you at level 3 next!

• justjoseph63 changed the title to TK-12124 Requesting ANH Stunt EIB (834)