Slow recovery

Bulldog44

This post is just one way I am trying to recover from my TLJ experience. I have not been on the forum much the past few months since TLJ. To be honest, I never thought a SW would take me out of the game but it seems that movie had done some serious damage to my SW enthusiasm. I know there are some people who loved it, enjoyed it, etc. but for me, it solidified my concerns since TFA about Disney Lucasfilm direction and treatment of the franchise, it’s characters and it’s fans. I take SW to heart like so many people do and can say it helped define a lot of who I am am today. My emotional investment into SW has been deep since I was kid and i feel like TLJ just stripped away all that goodwill built up. I could rant forever about the film but that is not why I am here writing this, just needed to get this off my chest. I have nothing against fans who loved TLJ but it did not sit well with me at all and since then I found my SW energy level drop significantly. So much so, I lost interest to troop and keep up on the forum like I normally do. It sounds all silly but that is how I have been feeling. I still love SW OT, troopers, etc,   Not giving up at all but just had to let it out, hoping it helps me get back on track being a 501st trooper with the same spirit I always had for SW. 

Thanks for listening and hope to be back in better form soon. 

Yours Truly,

TK-42114

Sorry to hear...if you haven’t already, watch ANH, ESB and ROTJ and that might help in getting you back at full swing..oh, and R1 as I know you liked it from the crystal pack buildthread:salute:

• Like 1

We are here for ya', brother.  Rant away.

Many things can curb your enthusiasm about trooping for sure, but sometimes you just have to dig deep and remember why you donned that white armor in the first place.  Don't let one (or 2) films get you down...  Hopefully Solo will redeem the franchise for you with Ron Howard at the helm.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TheSwede said:

Sorry to hear...if you haven’t already, watch ANH, ESB and ROTJ and that might help in getting you back at full swing..oh, and R1 as I know you liked it from the crystal pack buildthread:salute:

Thanks. Yes, been watching the OT and R1 as always to remind myself why I am here. They are medicine for sure.

• Like 1

Share away, Brian. Worth getting it off your chest.

I’m with Daniel on this one - I love watching the OT to remind me why I love my TK so much. Whatever direction the newer films take, they can never take away that feeling we have when we watch the OT, specifically ANH for me.

Rant whenever you need. :-)

Best wishes,
Dan

• Like 1

1 hour ago, justjoseph63 said:

We are here for ya', brother.  Rant away.

Many things can curb your enthusiasm about trooping for sure, but sometimes you just have to dig deep and remember why you donned that white armor in the first place.  Don't let one (or 2) films get you down...  Hopefully Solo will redeem the franchise for you with Ron Howard at the helm.

Thanks Joseph. I am trying to keep things in perspective and not let the latest movies drag me too low. But it has been hard to ignore for sure. After posting my message I felt a bit better and had a crack at working on my sandtrooper armor. Time will heal and having great troopers around on this forum to speak frankly with is most appreciated and helfpful.   

3 minutes ago, CableGuy said:

Share away, Brian. Worth getting it off your chest.

I’m with Daniel on this one - I love watching the OT to remind me why I love my TK so much. Whatever direction the newer films take, they can never take away that feeling we have when we watch the OT, specifically ANH for me.

Rant whenever you need. :-)

Best wishes,
Dan

Cheers Dan. I dont want to drag this group down with my TLJ negativity  but glad I can honestly just put it out there it bothered me and have great trooper friends to hear me out. Seriously, thanks. ANH is my choice too for all the glory. 

• Like 1

I know how you feel, things can definitely get you down, when it's bad I turn to either Heart of an Empire of Star Warriors.

I didn't like the story at first in EPVII, but really liked the updated TK, over the next few viewings it started to grow on me.

EPVIII came along and ok didn't mind the TK upgrades BUT why since it carried on straight after VIII, OMG wow so many plot holes, even watching it multiple times it just isn't getting better.

Rogue one, yes lets just mix up elements from costumes from EPVII and EPIV, then not see either the elements of costumes but the costumes themselves again through EPIV, V and VI. Can't tell I'm a GML :laugh1:

EPIX who knows, everyone complained about the first director and then the second BUT lets get the first one back, "oh he can't do any worse" REALLY (shakes head)

With what I'm hearing about SOLO I don't think that's going to be much better.

I've been telling people ever since Disney took over that they would kill it, milk it for all it's work, here have a bag of Star Wars grapes or oranges, some body products maybe, a new razor, a bottle of Star Wars water, do I need to go on.

We were once seen as something special, a small group of enthusiast bringing smiles to the world and helping charities when ever we could, now any man and his dog on FB can find a costume just like that and join, not for the reasons many of us joined for, or even having to do some leg work to even find a costume, now we are mainstream.

OK rant over, here's to hoping it gets better, but I can't see it.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, gmrhodes13 said:

I know how you feel, things can definitely get you down, when it's bad I turn to either Heart of an Empire of Star Warriors.

I didn't like the story at first in EPVII, but really liked the updated TK, over the next few viewings it started to grow on me.

EPVIII came along and ok didn't mind the TK upgrades BUT why since it carried on straight after VIII, OMG wow so many plot holes, even watching it multiple times it just isn't getting better.

Rogue one, yes lets just mix up elements from costumes from EPVII and EPIV, then not see either the elements of costumes but the costumes themselves again through EPIV, V and VI. Can't tell I'm a GML :laugh1:

EPIX who knows, everyone complained about the first director and then the second BUT lets get the first one back, "oh he can't do any worse" REALLY (shakes head)

With what I'm hearing about SOLO I don't think that's going to be much better.

I've been telling people ever since Disney took over that they would kill it, milk it for all it's work, here have a bag of Star Wars grapes or oranges, some body products maybe, a new razor, a bottle of Star Wars water, do I need to go on.

We were once seen as something special, a small group of enthusiast bringing smiles to the world and helping charities when ever we could, now any man and his dog on FB can find a costume just like that and join, not for the reasons many of us joined for, or even having to do some leg work to even find a costume, now we are mainstream.

OK rant over, here's to hoping it gets better, but I can't see it.

Thanks Q for your reply. That sums up how I have been feeling and it’s good to know what other where are thinking. The TK  costume  changes are certainly an interesting point for discussion. Wonder what goes through their minds when they decide these things. Wish they had us in mind, not easy trying to keep up with all the new details.  I too think it won’t get any better until some personal changes happen up top. I just have to distance my self from the new stuff a bit and get back to real trooping and spreading the good word we always have stood by. Appreciate you taking the time to share your thought. Cheers!. 

40 minutes ago, Bulldog44 said:

Thanks Q for your reply. That sums up how I have been feeling and it’s good to know what other where are thinking. The TK  costume  changes are certainly an interesting point for discussion. Wonder what goes through their minds when they decide these things. Wish they had us in mind, not easy trying to keep up with all the new details.  I too think it won’t get any better until some personal changes happen up top. I just have to distance my self from the new stuff a bit and get back to real trooping and spreading the good word we always have stood by. Appreciate you taking the time to share your thought. Cheers!. 

We are all here pretty much for the same or similar reasons and at times we do wonder why, but it definitely helps when you get your costume on, you walk out and see the smiles on the kids faces, it warms the heart and even if it's only for a brief time it gives some pleasure.

It's always a great help too when you know others are on the same wavelength ;) 

• Like 2

I enjoyed the movies I think it’s a different type of consumer now a days and they need to go in that direction. With that being said nothing and I repeat NOTHING beats the original three. So take some time off grab some popcorn and set them up consecutively!
I’ve just got my first troop under my belt and as a TK I didn’t see much but I don’t think I’ve gotten that many kid hugs. They came out of nowhere and I didn’t even see them. Even the tweens wanted pics. I had a whole conversation with a girl cause she was acting mad at me (obviously a rebel sympathizer) and I had her cracking up by the time she walked away. It was amazing and I think looking beyond my passion that is what is just plain awesome. So rant away get it all out, get rejuvenated and get out and make some people smile! We are a community that’s here for you and your thoughts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Frank75139 said:

I enjoyed the movies I think it’s a different type of consumer now a days and they need to go in that direction. With that being said nothing and I repeat NOTHING beats the original three. So take some time off grab some popcorn and set them up consecutively!
I’ve just got my first troop under my belt and as a TK I didn’t see much but I don’t think I’ve gotten that many kid hugs. They came out of nowhere and I didn’t even see them. Even the tweens wanted pics. I had a whole conversation with a girl cause she was acting mad at me (obviously a rebel sympathizer) and I had her cracking up by the time she walked away. It was amazing and I think looking beyond my passion that is what is just plain awesome. So rant away get it all out, get rejuvenated and get out and make some people smile! We are a community that’s here for you and your thoughts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks Frank! Your trooping adventure sounded fun and I look forward to planning my next troop to get those kids smiling.