Chris's RS PropMasters ANH Stunt - 1st Build

ChrisC85

Do you have any pics of how the chest/back plate meet when you're wearing it?  That can make a huge difference.

Thanks @CableGuy and @Cricket,

I put the suit on for a test fitting. Quite a few other areas I need to iron out, but noted similar on your build Cricket as well, like the thigh and shins.

With the shoulder strapping, it doesn't look to back whilst wearing, so I think I can live with that, unless 501st say otherwise. Though I feel I might make the elastic slightly longer, and look to secure then in place underneath somehow? I'll have a review of the forums to check if anyone has done similar.

DSC05983.jpg

The other areas I've noted are the shin to thigh gaps, they seem way to close together. So I'll be looking at slightly shortening either shin or thigh.

The left thigh has your magnet closure system @Cricket installed, the right one is due to be added on the shins, which is why they don't look symmetrical at present. 

DSC05988.jpg

Got the V-tabs to add for the butt plate.

Belt is actually too small I think, and held with clips due to the lack of overlap on the velcro for the picture

Looks like I completely forgot to fasten the upper back and kidney plate.

DSC06003.jpg

Edited by ChrisC85

Thanks [mention=31976]CableGuy[/mention] and [mention=26586]Cricket[/mention],
I put the suit on for a test fitting. Quite a few other areas I need to iron out, but noted similar on your build Cricket as well, like the thigh and shins.

With the shoulder strapping, it doesn't look to back whilst wearing, so I think I can live with that, unless 501st say otherwise. Though I feel I might make the elastic slightly longer, and look to secure then in place underneath somehow? I'll have a review of the forums to check if anyone has done similar.

DSC05983.jpg&key=bd9b91b13284d019ee595813930bcd79e927853339637543625d84ed82f9684e

The other areas I've noted are the shin to thigh gaps, they seem way to close together. So I'll be looking at slightly shortening either shin or thigh.
The left thigh has your magnet closure system [mention=26586]Cricket[/mention] installed, the right one is due to be added on the shins, which is why they don't look symmetrical at present. 

DSC05988.jpg&key=bc8fc4d2e71260d1ab044fee5a51aec012a3d115437e7d337f48e61a4e72031d

Got the V-tabs to add for the butt plate.
Belt is actually too small I think, and held with clips due to the lack of overlap on the velcro for the picture
Looks like I completely forgot to fasten the upper back and kidney plate.
DSC06003.jpg&key=f89dbd4584830c3869475defc144b89ce23d0dd818a57517fc155f0cbfd5248b

Do you have a full length photo from the back, please? From the close up of your back plate, it looks like it could be be too high up around the neck. That would explain the back plate/kidney gap.

• 1 month later...

So whilst attempting to refine and work on the armour with a 6 month old is proving challenging, I've managed to work on my E11 Blaster abit more, with weathering and making it look abit more realistic than just a black blaster. This is a Doopey Doos, with a T-Jay finishing kit.

A few bits left to finish, but nearly there. Matt and Satin sprays arriving soon, screws to go in the front of the sight and the clip on the back underside to be added soon.

Main.jpg

Sight.jpg

Scope.jpg

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

Updated my Trello board of outstanding items after a test fitting.

- I'd extended the strapping between the chest plate and back plate by 2.5cm which makes the shoulders bridge strips sit much nicer.

- V-tabs moulded and to be applied

- Having issues with flexibility on the thighs, so looking to remove the section below following a search of the same issue.

Generally, how mobile does everyone feel in their TKs? I feel slightly restricted at times. Assuming that's the norm?

Inked-DSC-1196-edit-LI.jpg

1 hour ago, ChrisC85 said:

- Having issues with flexibility on the thighs, so looking to remove the section below following a search of the same issue.

Generally, how mobile does everyone feel in their TKs? I feel slightly restricted at times. Assuming that's the norm?

I'm still working on my own build, but from all I've seen there can definitely be mobility issues when suited up. You're on the right track with cutting into the raised section behind the knees. I plan on utilizing angled mobility cuts (if necessary), to maintain a clean, uniform look. Check out this post:

• Like 2

7 hours ago, ChrisC85 said:

Inked-DSC-1196-edit-LI.jpg

Hi Chris.

Those cuts will make your armor more comfortable when walking...But remember: "mobility cuts should not extend beyond the raised ridge":duim:

You are doing a very, very good job...

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Latest fitting, with a few minor mods

- V-tabs added - Thanks @gmrhodes13 for the advice

- Calf closures completed - Thanks @Cricket for the tutorial and advice!

- Back of thigh mobility trims - Cheers @Chemi

- Forearms mobility trim 

- Internal strapping adjustment 

(Also misplaced an ear screw, so I purchased some: Brass Metric Flat Head Slotted Screws M3.5 x 0.6 x 30 from https://www.spaldingfasteners.co.uk/, which match the RS Prop Masters perfectly)

No butt flare! Better alignment on the split rivets below

DSC-1344.jpg

DSC-1348.jpg%22

What's left?

- New Belt, as this one is too small, the velcro doesn't overlap.

- Belt snap covers to be added

- Paint the thigh split rivets

- V-tabs on the far sides of the butt plates

- Install the Aker comms

- A general tidy up of any joins and I think I might be ready for submission. 

• Like 3

• 3 months later...

At the end I think.

One rivet on the ab to go on the top right I'd missed, due to add this weekend.

Some Pre...Pre-submission shots.

Thanks everyone for their assistance and hoping to get approval in the near future.

Height: 5'9

Weight - 11.5st/161lbs

Armour - RS Prop Masters Kit Form

Helmet - RS Prop Masters Stunt Complete

Canvas Belt - Berkbench Designs

Holster - Berkbench Designs

Neckseal - TrooperBay

Hand Plates- Trooperbay

Electronics - Troopacoola/Aker

Blaster - DoopeyDoos w/T-Jay finishing Kit

Boots - Imperial Boots

Undersuit - stormtroopersuit/extremeracing

Aim is for future 501st Centurion and ensuring I've ticked all Level 3 TK ANH Stunt certification levels.

Front.jpg%22%20Back.jpg

Side2.jpgSide1.jpgAction.jpg

Edited by ChrisC85
Additional detail

7 hours ago, ChrisC85 said:

Aim is for future 501st Centurion and ensuring I've ticked all Level 3 TK ANH Stunt certification levels.

Nice work, you can also post images in Pre Approval area for feedback ;) 

Just watch armor positions, alignment of thighs to shins (cover strips should align) same with biceps/forearms.

You could also bring your shoulders in a little more at the top

Front.jpg%22%20

Also best to take images without the blaster, it can weigh down and make pieces out of place, appears your thigh is jammed under butt plate ;) 

I would also look at cutting the cover strips at the back on an angle

Back.jpggallery_12157_15_1150.jpg

Small gap between butt plate and kidney, you could either tighten the strapping or try a V tab to hold it in place. Couldn't make out in the images if you have the right side top ab "Han" snap added.

Side2.jpg&key=a4cd5d680a215d8be50bf190fb

Q6j9pfd.jpg

qrjihT5.jpg

Here is a thread for thigh cut out comparison, generally if you do the thighs the shins are cut too https://www.whitearmor.net/forum/gallery/album/112-mobility-cut-outs/

They are also cut quite square compared to references.

Also try to get your shoulder straps on the rear to sit down more.

Back.jpg&key=4bcd2245a3506f1a9883be27cb5large.1884392544_imageproxy(8).jpg.b8e6c

Good luck with approval

Thanks @gmrhodes13,

Thanks you so much for you amazingly detailed review, and like a real stormtrooper, feel like I'm missing the mark. Especially for approval. I want this to be great.

I'll amend and tweak all of the items you've highlighted. The thighs, it looks from the screengrab I could potentially curve the bottom edge off slightly with cutting, rather than the right angled sharp lines shown below, though from the grabs it doesn't look like they go into the next ridged area. Alternatively I could start them again with a purchase from RS, which isn't ideal. But better than not being approved!

Snip.jpg

My to do list from your feedback is;

- Align coverstrips better (I'll check for consistent depth of angles too)

- Shoulder strapping, slightly shorter

- Angle thigh cover strips (Might try and close that gap a little more, 2/3mm out. Just looking at it here makes me feel uneasy)

- V-Tab Butt/Kidney sides (I've webbing there, maybe shorter webbing, or replace with better V-tabs)

- Add snap on Ab

- Thighs! - Make proposed cuts, or start over really.

Abit further off than I'd hoped, but all do-able!  Thanks again

After reviewing all the RS prop masters how to videos, I've actually messed up alot. Like they said "don't follow other tutorials over reference photos" as I've made some errors.

Thighs to be replaced. Cover strip on forearms and thighs. 
I'll get to this in the future, and probably just submit straight to pre-approval.
Thanks for all the guidance and comments from all so far.

• Like 1

After reviewing all the RS prop masters how to videos, I've actually messed up alot. Like they said "don't follow other tutorials over reference photos" as I've made some errors.
Thighs to be replaced. Cover strip on forearms and thighs. 
I'll get to this in the future, and probably just submit straight to pre-approval.
Thanks for all the guidance and comments from all so far.

Don’t be too hard on yourself, Chris. It looks good overall.
I’ve seen many a LOT worse cleared for basic and above. I can’t see you having many issues for basic clearance. Check with your local GML before you make too many changes, then look at the changes one by one for higher level approval (and a sleeker look overall). :-)

Best wishes
Dan
  • Like 1

Don't give up, there are plenty around to lend advice.

You could probably try to save the bottom of the thighs by adding some pieces of ABS plastic to the overtrimmed areas, then fill any gaps with ABS paste, sand and polish.

Our pre approval area gives more detailed comments than just for basic approval because of our higher levels. You can contact your GML (garrison membership liaison) and check their thoughts on how your armor looks as it, they may more inclined to allow a few things.

Good luck what ever you decide