ChrisC85

Chris's RS PropMasters ANH Stunt - 1st Build

Hi All,

I recently acquired an RS propmasters kit build and getting the general sizing going on. It's feeling a little large on the mid-section with the ab & kidney plates, but wondered what everyone's thoughts were?

Height wise it feels ok (I'm 5'9), though maybe a little off the chest neck area to bring the chest up a few centimetres? Also, the butt plate, I'm guessing that needs hot water treatment to curve it inwards, as it's looking ridiculously large.

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated, and apologies in advance for the skinny running legs :)

45" angles on cover strips due to be cut in, bifurcated rivets inbound too.

Edited by ChrisC85
Removed images

Hey Chris, 

I had to cut away at the neck area on the chest to bring it up.  Just follow the original curve lines and cut conservatively (cut a little, try it on, cut a tiny bit more, try it on...).  

The kidney/ab/butt/chest can handle a nice hot water bath to shape them up a bit.  I dumped between two and three 8-quart pots of boiling water in the  kitchen sink to make the Armor Spa.  Also when you get your strapping in, that'll bring things in a bit as well.  

Thanks Cricket, I'll get the Spa going soon and get the strapping in. Thanks for the advice:duim:

Is there meant to be a return edge around neck line on the chest plate?

Having return edges isn`t mandatory and that goes for the entire armor, however they contribute of giving the armor a sence of thickness and if one plan on using screen accurate strapping they are almost a must in the torso, for higher levels of accuracy - Centurion - there can't be any on the wrist-ends of forearms...so it's about personal preference. My advise if you cut the neck line is to not make a new return unless you really want to, no one will see it anyways...and as Christine said, a bath and strapping will aid the butt-issue and adding on the thighs would make it less apparent...and one final note: check Christine aka Crickets thread on how she did her RS-kit - it's a great read:jc_doublethumbup:

Edited by TheSwede

On 12/30/2017 at 8:49 PM, Cricket said:

Hey Chris, 

I had to cut away at the neck area on the chest to bring it up.  Just follow the original curve lines and cut conservatively (cut a little, try it on, cut a tiny bit more, try it on...).  

The kidney/ab/butt/chest can handle a nice hot water bath to shape them up a bit.  I dumped between two and three 8-quart pots of boiling water in the  kitchen sink to make the Armor Spa.  Also when you get your strapping in, that'll bring things in a bit as well.  

Thanks Christine and TheSwede! Christine's build WIP is amazing. I've been reading it back to back and looking forward to implementing some of the modifications.
I'll have some more photos soon, but massive thanks to you both at this early stage.

• Like 1

Slowly working on the build and getting very much acquainted with E6000 and painters masking tape. 

Currently moving onto full body strapping and looking at getting the split rivets in, though with the Ab to Kidney plates being flush, the RS seems to have a slight lip of around 25mm on the Ab plate edge.

Is this meant to be removed, or left depending on the size of the individual? 

I've marked the split rivet placement, though noticed lots of builds removing the lip/overhang where I've marked my rivet placements.

Both Cricket's build and Peter's ANH RS Build have removed the slight lip, so I'm leaning towards removing it, just unsure if it's a required change on the RS?

Edited by ChrisC85
Removed images

2 hours ago, ChrisC85 said:

Is this meant to be removed, or left depending on the size of the individual? 

Yes, preference is to keep but since the persons you referred to both are on the thinner side, removing is the best choice to avoid overlap (doesn`t look good) and to keep the armor comforming to your body so you don`t look like a box :)

And on a sidenote: your pics don`t show for me.

So, I've been working slowly on the build. Though got a little stuck on a few bits and wondered if anyone else has encountered similar issues or any comments?

So, I've got a few things left. Sniper knee, drop boxes, shoulder straps, calf closure to name a few... Though I'm worried about the abdomen and butt situation. Though this is the current front view.

DSC04072-1.jpg

The belt I have feels slightly too tight, which seems to be causing the ab shell to squeeze together and the butt to flare out. Is this the only reason, or do you think the sides could be trimmed? Also, the alignment of the top and bottom of the panel looks abit off?

DSC04068.jpg

Last picture is showing the general size of the armour, and chest plate on top, with the belt hanging off slightly.

DSC04077.jpg

Edited by ChrisC85

Hi Chris,

Looking really good from the front! Great job! :-)

Regarding the side view, you’re right that the alignment could be a little better. This is likely based on your internal strapping.

As below, the ab plate and kidney should line up top and bottom;

0e66adc0933ba39b7fd19e367c427e27.jpg

The butt should sit up against the lower part of the kidney, although they are prone to ride up if the strapping is not quite right.

Do you have any pictures of your internal strapping, please?

Best wishes
Dan

• Like 1

Coming along nicely

• Like 1

Thanks guys! Really appreciate the feedback

This is the internal strapping view.

I've got the split rivets on the left side, though have a few more snap closures on the right as I'd struggled a few times with the alignment of the front and back plates.

I also have 2 additional ones from the butt to kidney plate (5 in total) to try and reduce the flaring.

DSC04449.jpg

Butt to Kidney Plate

DSC04450.jpg

Split Rivets view

(I went with the lower abdomen cut on the front to allow for better accessibility, Held in place at present with velcro)

DSC04451.jpg

Hi Chris,

Hmmm. It might be that the furthest out strapping from butt to kidney are not tight enough, however they seem to look okay.

If the trooper butt remains an issue, you could consider shaping some ABS to glue to the butt plate, just below the return edge. If shaped and positioned correctly, this could prevent the butt from riding over the kidney. Here’s a rough idea of what I mean.

b9af289cc23a3df1f5f4b226e735738a.jpg

• Like 1

I came up with these some time ago and they work great keeping the butt in place

SrvPSl3.jpg

• Like 4

I came up with these some time ago and they work great keeping the butt in place

SrvPSl3.jpg&key=39aa6b3c17fb3de49abf2748d2c536c6c71d5a98c74d261da0589371d812dc4f
Ah fantastic, I'll definitely be making a pair of those. Thanks for sharing the diagram

Sent from my H8216 using Tapatalk