RT mod

TK4205

Well, I sent for a new smaller bucket. After much inspection I found that the RT suits me the best. Should have it by next month. I'll take plenty of pic so I can post a tutorial. The kit comes pre trimmed, which I'm not all that excited about. The guy took 25 bucks off the price because I'm not getting decals, lenses or directions. I can't wait. This is my first RT, and I'm so looking forword to working on it.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Agreed, I have an RT bucket and I love it.

I was so impressed by his stuff I ordered a full set of his armor new buckect included.

hopefully it will be here in a couple of weeks.

I to will post up progress pics.if anyone is interested.

Boozel

• 2 weeks later...

basically same as all, take your time. The eyes if not cut out can be tricky. he rivets a lot of pieces, I went with ABS and hot glue for a lot of it. 6 Screws for the rest.

He has some cool tips on his site, but I must say to trim the ears a Tad to make the fit better. he leaves enough flashing to do this.

also, squre the back as best as possible.

I know alot of these are basics, so I guess, the kit is almost as easy to work with as an FX.

Hope that helps.

Boozel

Quick question, the guys in my garrison who have the RT said to buy it preassembled. This is comming from a couple guys who have assembled many sets of armor, and tried the kit RT. Does this seem to be the consensus from the masses?

I would think so. Unless you have some serious assembly skills anyway. Buckets are pretty easy to screw up and are unforgiving of mistakes.

Ā 

Both my TE helmets and my AP came this way.

• 4 weeks later...

I got my kit yesterday :D

Very nice kit. A lot like the FX. I like the fact that the eyes are not cut out. I always like my own cut lines better. I won't get to work on it for a while yet, but I have the gist of how I'm going to do it. I'm getting the inside of this one Rhino Lined to make it a little bit more durable. I bought just the five basic pieces for the bucket, no directions, decals or lenses. It will give me a little more to do, and I saved money on the stuff that I realy don't use. I'm considering a whole set of this stuff, but I want to see it first. Other than the bucket, the FX armor suits me fine.

I got my kit yesterday :D

Very nice kit. A lot like the FX. I like the fact that the eyes are not cut out. I always like my own cut lines better. I won't get to work on it for a while yet, but I have the gist of how I'm going to do it. I'm getting the inside of this one Rhino Lined to make it a little bit more durable. I bought just the five basic pieces for the bucket, no directions, decals or lenses. It will give me a little more to do, and I saved money on the stuff that I realy don't use. I'm considering a whole set of this stuff, but I want to see it first. Other than the bucket, the FX armor suits me fine.

Ā 

Can't wait to see it Wyatt. Pics, pics! :D

Can't wait to see it Wyatt. Pics, pics! :D

Ā 

What Brian said! We'll need to do a proper comparison between RT-AP-TE2 when you're done.

Rhino lining is a fibered tefflon coating that's applied with a hopper, kind of like drywall mud. They have a Rhino lining substitute at wally world. $50 for a gallon can. Don't know what I would do with the rest of it though. Maybe do up some buckets?

Rhino lining is a fibered tefflon coating that's applied with a hopper, kind of like drywall mud. They have a Rhino lining substitute at wally world. $50 for a gallon can. Don't know what I would do with the rest of it though. Maybe do up some buckets?

Ā 

There is another cheaper substitute at Home Depot. It is also a rubberized spray for about $15 a can.

You're right Jim. In fact I used it in my FX bucket. Great liner, but not much in the way of making a bucket more solid. Great for acustic deadening though. The bigest drawback is that if you need to pull out velcro or hot glue, it pulls the rubber out with it. The helpful hardware guy at Ace told me that they also make a rattlecan liner as well, though I don't know how good it is. I can't imagine that it would be viscous enough coming out of a spray can. I think I'll just bite the bullet and get the real Rhino liner. The stuff is exelent. My father in law had his truck bed Rhino Lined and you can't scratch it. I'll post if it works.

• 2 weeks later...

In case anyone is going to try a bed liner product, I've been experimenting a little with liners. The spray on kind sucks. The brush on kind works, but is very hot on the plastic. It breaks down ABS and HIPS<_< I don't know yet if the efected layer will harden back up yet. I'll give it a couple days drying time and check to see. Don't know what the actual Rhino Liner is made of, so I don't know if it will work the same. Trial and error :6:

Looks like Rhino Liner is out of the question. I spoke with someone at the company in regaurds to the properties of their liner, and learned that Rhino Liner heats up to 250 degrees when in contact with aplied catalyst. Not good for ABS or styrene. All you would have is a puddle

On a good note, the Duplicolor bed liner will work pretty well. I used both the spray and roll on kind. The roll on has a higher level of keytone, so it's best to spray (lightly) a couple cotes, then roll it on for thickness. When I got home from portland last night I found that it hardened back up very nicely. I was worried for a minute.

• 3 weeks later...

I made lens holders that seem to work very well for me. The lenses can be easily replaced if need be.

Ā 

VtyeRLd.jpg

RuhKkWN.jpg

Ā 

I used epoxy paste to build up the frame for my lenses.

Ā 

gujVGkp.jpg

Ā 

Popped them out and sanded them

Ā 

tQIk3J0.jpg

Ā 

I cut a gasket out of styrene and painted it red, and punched screw holes in it.

Ā 

6z0Y1zI.jpg

Ā 

Screws and gasket hold the lens down. Just glue the frame in place.

Edited by gmrhodes13
photos updated gmrhodes13 2021