Critique please on my helmet gaps

bartonajb

Hello everyone. This is my first build and looking for some honest critique. I'm working on my RS helmet and have just attached the ears.404e10d5763019fde2f127b4edeb5e1d.jpg1700e0060eea9ab806a703420bd62815.jpg6ea1e02bb5a21cdf4233412e5bbf26e1.jpg

Are the ear gaps too wide? They are driving the perfectionist in me nuts however as I look at various pics and screenshots there seems to be a fair amount of variety there. Is it normal to have a gap like that under the front rim or should that be tight?

Would love some honest advice. Also please let me know if I messed up the picture links. I'm new to this. Thanks in advance!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Those eargaps are perfectly fine , in fact, better than most of the screen used movie helmets . 

If you get the gaps tooo close and perfect, it looks more wrong . 

You done good. 

• Like 1

The gaps are fine, I prefer a smaller gap myself but shouldn't hold you up for approval

Thanks for the input guys, much appreciated. I wasn't going to do a build thread but maybe now I will since I want to aim for centurion from the start. I suspect I will have many more detail questions and there is clearly plenty of wisdom here.

GREAT to hear that you are aiming for EI and Centurion, Andrew!   A build thread is always a good idea, but please don't be shy about asking questions.  It's kinda' what we do here.  During your research you should also check out some of the approved Centurion submissions in this thread:  https://www.whitearmor.net/forum/forum/72-request-centurion-status/.

They will be the ones with a number right after, like TK12345 Requesting ANH Stunt status, Anovos, (555).  

If I could offer some advice at this point it would be to sand down the heads of those screws and paint them before permanently installing them.  This improves paint adhesion and any touch-ups can be done afterward.  Best of luck on your build, sir!

• Like 1

Thanks for the tip! When you sand down the heads are you trying to actually reduce the head thickness to make them lie flush more or are you just roughing them up for paint adhesion? Ill check out that link now.

Thanks for the tip! When you sand down the heads are you trying to actually reduce the head thickness to make them lie flush more or are you just roughing them up for paint adhesion? Ill check out that link now.

Pretty sure Joseph is talking about adhesion

But, I wanted to talk about ears:
I too suffer from the perfectionist affliction. And here’s a tip about the ear—> you will be VERY lucky if you can get them to sit flush on both sides, primarily because they sit on the helmet joining split. I was able to get mine very flush on the front( aka “viewed”) side, but one ear remained to have a larger gap than I’d like on the rear. That was the best I could do and had to accept it.
Like others have said, imperfection is actually more screen accurate

4 hours ago, bartonajb said:

Countersink the holes. Then your screws will sit more flush.

Ears are fine and there is no need to countersink the screws in the ear caps. Brow gap is bad. You want the brow to be tight against the forehead of the face plate. This will mean repositioning the face plate and re-drilling the ear caps, but the old holes will not be seen so no problem :)

• Like 1

Thanks so much for all the advice and support! I removed the ears this morning and tightened up the brow.
62806a6cea7c98116cadff812fa8403d.jpg
The ears are also sitting a bit better now as well I think .
42ae2a29a39f3bd24c638416f6eb65da.jpg96e6bb46efbf64c1e445afec761988b7.jpg
Other than the inside looking like a colander now from the ear repositioning I'm happy now. Thanks again guys.

Looks GREAT, Andrew!  You will want to open up the teeth a bit...  Here is a link that will help:  https://www.whitearmor.net/forum/gallery/album/36-helmet-frown-a-new-hope-stunt/

I suggest picking up a set of needle files at Lowe's (well worth 4 bucks).  They came in really handy:  https://www.lowes.com/pd/Project-Source-6-Piece-Needle-File-Set/4777067

I picked up those files Joseph and worked on the teeth. Think I'm good to go?adecd2d64e4682986f1b1c53f293aa9a.jpg
Lame-o. Check out trooperbays helmet build video. I watched it twice where he clamped the faceplate to the top before drilling. I just ignored the tip when it came time to do it

• 2 weeks later...

A lot of it depends on aesthetics, Andrew.  Some prefer a cleaner, smoother look, and you could take some sandpaper to the edges no doubt, but a lot of the screen used ones had some issues as well.  Below are 2 examples of screen used eye openings... kinda' rough to say the least.

-----------

Edited by gmrhodes13
link not working removed

• 1 month later...

Looks great Andrew. I’m building an RS kit at the moment, I should probably start a thread here on FISD as well. Just today I redid the side rivets as I had a similar brow gap as you had earlier in this thread. It’s looking much better now. The next thing I need to tackle is the ears, they scare me :P I feel as if that’s the one place I can really go wrong and not be able to recover!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk