Doopydoos Full Resin Kit WIP + Tino,Chris + more, Additional Parts

Dracotrooper

Hi All,

I set about to do some precision work here on fitting my custom magazine into my modified doopydoos magazine housing. I managed not to break the magazine well when dremeling to thin down the walls. Let's just say I slept well last night and had many sighs of relief. To fit the magazine, further nips and tucks were needed to get it to fit just right. The same goes with the thinning of the walls. After dremeling, used a square file to corner out the inside of the hollowed magazine well.

Spent 40 minutes on the dremel getting out the remaining resin inside my hollowed out magazine well. I borrowed this set-up from a genius TK who posted a while back which gave me the confidence to come at this task. With a low rotation setting on my dremel and the right dremel attachment (this little attachment has been very valuable: thanks Dan for the recommendation), I was able to keep control and dremel away at the 1 to 2mm of resin that remained, and so widening the well to desired.

40162301741_d96a7a0c25_z.jpg

25290470137_777d3a9317_z.jpg

Further revisions to custom styrene plastic magazine for fitting into modified doopydoos magazine housing - magazine now fully inserted inside magazine well

25300994007_e9f9ff43c3_z.jpg

40139753952_a2d18750c7_z.jpg

Magazine well further thinned and corners on the inside made sharp to take in custom magazine

25301146307_ff48fc919c_z.jpg

Micro revisions to custom styrene magazine and magazine well completed - two pieces fit well together with the precision I want - more plastic was cut away from the magazine and more resin was filed away from the magazine well. I also managed to scale down the magazine latch, I'll call it, and have it's corners come close to the magazine well opening. I also managed to do this with the corners on the back end of the magazine as well. Some curvature to the magazine was also captured too, which further lends to a realistic interpretation of the piece. thoroughly happy with these details as I had contemplated on how to capture them for quite some time.

26299972318_b8bdbb99ac_z.jpg

28392613159_b6b3e45eb4_z.jpg

25301279507_3f6e8703e7_z.jpg

40140092742_1303e2e838_z.jpg

Well, that's all I wrote - until next time and have a terrific weekend!
Nerve racking work for sure.. Excellent outcome..

Sent from my F8331 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Nerve racking work for sure.. Excellent outcome..

Sent from my F8331 using Tapatalk

Thanks! Totally, if accidentally set the dremel at too high a speed, especially initially, the resin piece would destabilize and run away from you. Found with the right speed, and right position, just need to let the dremel do its thing - not unlike how to properly drive a screw in place using a manual screwdriver.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

23 minutes ago, Dracotrooper said:

Thanks! Totally, if accidentally set the dremel at too high a speed, especially initially, the resin piece would destabilize and run away from you. Found with the right speed, and right position, just need to let the dremel do its thing - not unlike how to properly drive a screw in place using a manual screwdriver.

Looks like the only thing running away from you is Tapatalk with duplicate posts  :lol:

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

Hi all,

I've been on this crazy magazine clip / housing adventure for quite some time and I am pleased to share how I've finished allot of this so to continue with the trigger group with BlastFX components that I've started already.

The craziness was in high gear when attempting to scratch build the magazine clip. Although initially, had settled on using spot putty for the final surface material for the magazine clip, it proved not effective as it was susceptible for cracking over larger areas so resorted to good old green stuff. I applied green stuff 'skin' overtop the styrene / spot puttied surface and it worked out good! Dries hard and sands well! I follow through on this update with this modification along with getting the magazine latch and cap (with T-Jay's LED button) along with some magazine cap internal components like the cap bottom mechanism with compression spring as well as install of the five magnets that came T-Jay's completion set. 

Created styrene plastic magazine latch loosely following SMG references. I choose screws that were the style I wanted but I didn't have a smaller size on hand so I created the latch slightly bigger than how it is for real. Relative to itself, it's accurate enough for me - template cut and fitted

40394548822_7b42388a02_z.jpg

Green stuff applied to styrene plastic magazine latch to fortify

26567346558_27b0677c34_z.jpg

Custom magazine cap created using styrene, fortified with green stuff, aluminum sheet formed underneath with guides for attaching on to  magazine clip opening. Letter punch to be applied to green stuff to capture text

40438645851_22b5ec66df_z.jpg

Template applied and button position on magazine cap placed

39728072514_aedeed8427_z.jpg

Text captured on magazine cap - done so before green stuff fully cured - sanding to follow

26567429288_0ff532cd99_z.jpg

Magazine cap guides installed on body - bent aluminum sheet, following after Tennatlim

39728117384_695278b266_z.jpg

The locking guides for the magazine cap glued into place. I would later get green stuff into the open grooves between the plastic and the aluminum on the side

38627954760_7b729fdfd7_z.jpg

Created green stuff ‘skin’ for 1-1/2 Wave side of magazine clip - details cut out and pressed / molded into place with close attention to application so to capture relief

39735779154_fd3e91fa00_z.jpg

Various views of custom styrene magazine clip with green stuff ‘skin’ and end cap installed

39549967345_0c93365197_z.jpg

40402462722_9116dfb340_z.jpg

Magazine cap attach brackets installed

40402470832_ef019018da_z.jpg

Magazine cap - under plate locking guides in place, text added. Green stuff added to hide gap on the sides. Press button on top still need install

40402502582_0c59d0c44c_z.jpg

Test fit of latch and cap on Magazine Clip inside Magazine Housing

38636249570_a0fc313abe_z.jpg

40446657971_d38c64fd16_z.jpg

Magazine latch - detail with screw, two cut to length and held together with heat shrink. Still need to place in concave shaped plate on the top

40407356542_6d2b4263d9_z.jpg

Custom Magazine latch with cover installed. I turfed the idea of using screws to attach and simply used E-6000

25592986477_9c3d24ff11_z.jpg

40420201412_b063975a17_z.jpg

Added button to magazine cap - T-Jay LED part has bottom lip so made hole to later be kept in place with elastic fabric.

39756431324_b7d3d07b87_z.jpg

Magazine end cap with push button installed - elastic fabric installed underneath to enable push and return to original position. It would later be up against the bottom mechanism and get tension for the compression spring to enable good push tension and return on the button

39730903705_45ac223b44_z.jpg

Carve into magazine well to install two magnets using Dremel tool and glued with quick set CA glue

26754936558_6604c471d4_z.jpg

Magazine clip magnet housing - shallow plastic channel used with styrene plastic cover. Hole added to enable spring contact

26754991398_fc11a5d93d_z.jpg

Magnet housing on underside of magazine clip - three magnets installed - the plastic on the underside just so happens to mimic the rollers of

the follower much like the real SMG

40584844192_6fc6900f40_z.jpg

Magazine clip magnet housing is topped with styrene plastic sheet to provide flat surface for the bottom mechanism compression spring to

magnet to and have a flat surface for it to stay upright. The plastic housing pushes against the inner walls pretty tight, more so than the force of the magnets so it is able to keep in place

39731223385_b3c27c46e1_z.jpg

Magazine clip bottom mechanism with compression spring installed with magazine cap overtop. The details of this bottom mechanism was obtained from studying Tennatlim's post

40627637331_b60c676b96_z.jpg

39916399374_89454ed9ca_z.jpg

View of installed magnets on magazine clip and magazine housing

26755222698_9c7a6657b4_z.jpg

Aerial view of custom built and/or modified components of magazine clip and housing

39916434754_089a30ec9e_z.jpg

Various views of magazine clip and housing - completed!!!

26754955338_c0cb95e7c4_z.jpg

26754955418_920a8d1fb5_z.jpg

26754955358_d7f1e528d2_z.jpg

26755236608_5f40fffde7_z.jpg

25756253127_5362647f41_z.jpg

39731275705_d13ae552dc_z.jpg

26755263258_362566afc6_z.jpg

Thanks for reading! Cheers and happy building!

• Like 3

Dude!!!  That's some serious work you've put into the clip.  It looks great!!  

One question:  and I may be "nit-picking" but... is the LED maybe sitting a little "tall"?

b9c7c1df808d21e320cea712208351c2.jpg

Mark

• Like 3

Hey Jesse, great to see you and "Emmet the master builder" are back again. ;)

Awesome update, man. You went the extra mile on the magazine. While reading through your text, I wondered about the gun laws in your country. Because over here I can buy an original magazine for just 25 Euros and cut it. You must have spent hours into this crazy mod! Wow.

19 minutes ago, Suspend said:

(...)   One question:  and I may be "nit-picking" but... is the LED maybe sitting a little "tall"?   (...)

Yes, I was about mentioning the same but Mark was faster. :)

• Like 1

Dude!!!  That's some serious work you've put into the clip.  It looks great!!  

One question:  and I may be "nit-picking" but... is the LED maybe sitting a little "tall"?

b9c7c1df808d21e320cea712208351c2.jpg

Mark

I hadn’t thought about the cap button much. Now having looked at it longer, true that, it does sit too tall! I can hold the entire clip upside down and push it up against a 220 grit sandpaper I have thanks fo the quality control mate!

Hey Jesse, great to see you and "Emmet the master builder" are back again.
Awesome update, man. You went the extra mile on the magazine. While reading through your text, I wondered about the gun laws in your country. Because over here I can buy an original magazine for just 25 Euros and cut it. You must have spent hours into this crazy mod! Wow.
Yes, I was about mentioning the same but Mark was faster.

Haha, Emmet decided to come out for ‘things magazine’ finale! Thanks for the encouraging words - first scratch build ever, fun but also really glad it’s done. Know nothing really about things guns here in Canada; no monies to purchase anyways.

Glad to have y’all eagle eyes on my work; the community here really cares, thanks a bunch for the mention!

• Like 1

Wow. 11/10 for dedication, Jesse. :-)

Just out of interest, what made you decide to cover the magazine cap with green stuff? Was it just to stamp the OFF —> ?

I only ask as the original piece appears to be around 1mm (or so) metal, much like the piece you fabricated, then added green stuff to. Were you tempted to make the cap out of one piece of metal and find a way to stamp into the metal, keeping the thickness to around 1mm?

Best wishes,
Dan

Wow. 11/10 for dedication, Jesse. :-)

Just out of interest, what made you decide to cover the magazine cap with green stuff? Was it just to stamp the OFF —> ?

I only ask as the original piece appears to be around 1mm (or so) metal, much like the piece you fabricated, then added green stuff to. Were you tempted to make the cap out of one piece of metal and find a way to stamp into the metal, keeping the thickness to around 1mm?

Best wishes,
Dan

Hey there Dan! Worked into the midnight hours with this mod, that is true. Yeah, I laid down the green stuff ‘skin’ pretty thick on the cap, thinking I needed to to get the ‘OFF->’ imprint good. Didn’t follow through with much sanding for fear of loosing the imprint so I left it mostly as is, yes, a thickness more than 1mm. Considering my mark 1 for the cap was 2mm thick aluminum before, I thought close enough. Actually, as I’m thinking about it now, the cap could stand to be sanded down more keeping watch to retain the text. Cool, will update soon!

• Like 1

Nice work, Jesse. :duim:

Now, I’m sure you saw this question coming, but, will you be rounding off the mag cap button? ;-)

ceb74abeed612c7a0a4bf59e93be8401.jpg

(Sorry! With the amazing work you’re putting into this, I had to ask) :P

Edited by CableGuy
  • Like 1

Nice work, Jesse. :duim:

Now, I’m sure you saw this question coming, but, will you be rounding off the mag cap button? ;-)

ceb74abeed612c7a0a4bf59e93be8401.jpg

(Sorry! With the amazing work you’re putting into this, I had to ask) 

It’s all good Dan! This just shows your in line with my build goal, to have my E-11’s SMG components as real as possible

Keeping my LED button installed, I proceeded to file away the edges. The button doesn’t sit recessed relative to the cap nor is it attached to the bottom mechanism, as it is for real, so based on how I have it, that’s about it.

To answer your question before Dan, yes, I did create a 1mm thick aluminum magazine cap before but was perplexed in how to add text to it, so opted how you see it now, with my cap composed of aluminum / styrene / green stuff combo - I guess I could have turfed the middle styrene layer, in hindsight so to achieve a thickness more closely to 1mm

231d1ced94e870460c74755c07de6b1b.jpg

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

OMG

I knew I should have just scratch built my mag! uggg now I have to mode the latch fer sure after looking at this , since mine doesn't fit in the housing all the way ... 

What is the green stuff you are using ?

OMG
I knew I should have just scratch built my mag! uggg now I have to mode the latch fer sure after looking at this , since mine doesn't fit in the housing all the way ... 

What is the green stuff you are using ?

Green stuff goes on like putty and dries hard and retains a quality much like resin. Do a search online. I put on a thin layer of green stuff all over but it certainly wasn't necessary. As for keeping your swpropman magazine in place; I would suggest magnets for it to stay in place with your hollowed magazine housing. It was already so challenging to get the catch working how I did but to get it to lock the magazine in place may very well be a challenge to big to achieve, but prove me wrong, by all means

Sent from my SM-G390W using Tapatalk

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I know you're going for realism, but any thoughts about simply taking the floorplate release button from a rifle magazine (not necessarily a sterling, but something close to the right shape) and using that?  It would even be correctly functional as well (since I'm sure the green stuff housing would be strong enough for any spring-loaded resistance).

I feel silly posting a suggestion like that in a thread with so much attention to detail and quality work.  I look forward to seeing everything all finished up.

Edited by snub999
  • Like 1

On ‎5‎/‎11‎/‎2018 at 5:36 AM, snub999 said:

I know you're going for realism, but any thoughts about simply taking the floorplate release button from a rifle magazine (not necessarily a sterling, but something close to the right shape) and using that?  It would even be correctly functional as well (since I'm sure the green stuff housing would be strong enough for any spring-loaded resistance). I feel silly posting a suggestion like that in a thread with so much attention to detail and quality work.  I look forward to seeing everything all finished up.

Hey there Eric,

With what I'm going for to be ... good level of screen accuracy, battle worn and as realistic as possible - I take in your suggestion whole heartedly good man! :)My thoughts hadn't gone in that direction for the catch assembly, especially so since I know nothing really (apart from what I've been able to glean off of studying the SMG components of the blaster on the net) on things rifles. Also, with doopydoos resin pieces as my base / starting point, your suggestion would definitely prove too ambitious for me ;)

Finish? Workbench is dusted off ... work is pending on the trigger housing and update to happen shortly - have a great day everyone and happy building!

On ‎5‎/‎14‎/‎2018 at 9:49 AM, Dracotrooper said:

Also, with doopydoos resin pieces as my base / starting point, your suggestion would definitely prove too ambitious for me ;)

Given what I've seen, I don't know if I believe that.  ;)

Great work, the attention to detail is jaw dropping.

• Like 2