The types of R1 Armor and where they are going

Daetrin

Hey guys - I've been in discussions with the MEPD detachment leader about the various types of R1 stormtrooper costumes and where they should go. Right now, as best I have it, there are 2 types of R1 stormtroopers that we could cover.

Rogue One Stormtrooper

This is the clean stormtrooper we see in the movie. We can see them walking through the Scarab compound.

R1tk.jpg

You can also see them walking around on Jeddha with BFG's, but still pretty much in a clean configuration.

R1tk2.jpg

These two configurations are clearly part of FISD and we are working to finalize the CRLs.

The next one has been called the Jeddha Trooper, R1 Sandtrooper, and also the Kyber Trooper. Essentially it is a dirty R1TK with accessories.

R1tk3.jpg

While technically a clean R1TK + dirt + accessories, in theory it would be on FISD. That said, MEPD is asking to take this one on, as they currently have the sandtrooper with is essentially a dirty ANH TK + accessories. Yes, there are 4 non-clean TK differences (sniper plate, ab plate, drop boxes, and TD), however I can see the point that this costume may have a better home on MEPD.

So, here are the points for discussion:

1. Are there any R1TK configurations that are *not* captured above that I need to take in to account.

2. Are there any strong, valid reasons that the R1 Sandtrooper/Jeddha Trooper not be in MEPD?

Thanks all!

I have been working on the R1 Jedha Pack and am torn on this one.  Not seen in the movie, but in deleted scenes and now a toy, is another pack people are calling the R1 Jedha Sandtrooper Type 4 pack.  It has a frame similar to that of the traditional Sandtrooper Packs and appears to be configured in a manner that would allow for walking in the desert for extended periods of time.

The pack seen above appears to be that of a Heavy Weapons nature (i.e. the grenade holder) and the TK is wearing all of the traditional TK pieces.  The only reason I see that it could be called a Sandtrooper is that is it dirty.  As you know in some of the scenes (in the beginning when Jyn Erso is being transported by TK's, these are dirty TK's.

My vote is for this to be a R1 HWT.  However, I will accept whatever the outcome.

There are indeed two different packs floating out there.  The pack that Shawn mentions above has also been referred to as the Patrol pack, if I recall properly.  

I concur that he Kyber pack is more of an HWT/TK Accessory by nature and the Patrol/Sandtrooper pack is the only possible loadout from the Rogue One lineup that could or should be considered a Sandtrooper.

We certainly didn't create the MEPD based on an accessorized costume, so we can't really be accountable now for uniformity and accessories eliminating the one-offs of the past. 

• Like 2

IMHO the R1 Sandtrooper/Jeddha Trooper should be with the MEPD, it's right up their alley. They've already barked about taking back the HWT, I don't want to give them any more reasons to force more changes.

• Like 1

Please upload or reference photos for the packs seen, so it's Kyber clear on which pack you mean for which person.

You were mentioning that there were non-clean TK's that floated around. Here's 2 major ones: 

-------------

Also they carry on their hips some riot batons (you can see one in this clip when the explosion goes off). At some point when we have more images I think they could be included as an optional accessory in the standard R1TK CRL.

Edited by gmrhodes13
link removed no longer working

I'm guessing we'll keep the standard TK + dirt

On 6/15/2017 at 1:40 AM, Par_ said:

You were mentioning that there were non-clean TK's that floated around. Here's 2 major ones: 

---------------

Also they carry on their hips some riot batons (you can see one in this clip when the explosion goes off). At some point when we have more images I think they could be included as an optional accessory in the standard R1TK CRL.

I'd agree that these guys stay on FISD. They are just regular TK's with some dirt and a neat accessory.

Edited by gmrhodes13
link removed no longer working
  • Like 1

Here is the discussion that was running back in December.  

It is the Kyber pack that is a Stormtrooper accessory per the "Art of Rogue One" book..

http://www.whitearmor.net/forum/topic/39955-jedha-sandtroopers/

• Like 1

OK, so that makes on Jeddha:

Basic TK's with dirt and a pauldron

31690379156_f5c93dfafa_z.jpg

TK with pauldron + fabric pack

Streets_of_Jedha.png

TK with pauldron and plastic pack

kTioHi8.jpg

Where the plastic packs ever in the film? I couldn't find a screen cap, but am *very* open that I missed one. I know they are on the toys...

• Like 1

Hello my clean friends ;)

As I have been talking with your beloved DL about this, I'm really happy to see this conversation.

The thing right now is....you guys already have soooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo much armors here whilst we only have one :P

Seriously, I'd personally really like to see the Jedha sandtrooper, as it's being called, added to the ranks of the MEPD. It has a lot of features of the ANH sandtrooper we know and I'd like to see this version as a sandtrooper variant for Jedha or even as the predecessor for the ANH sandtrooper.

Regarding the Kyber trooper, it has some HWT features but I personally like to see all variants that have backpacks join the ranks of the MEPD.

.....My view might sound crazy, but sometimes things can be that simple.

• Like 2

Hey Dutchy - can you please relate which one you call the Jeddha sandtrooper and which the Kyber? I think not everyone is clear on which is which :)

....eh, apparently 'm (still) not able to add pictures to my posts or to quote someone.

I'll have to explain it like this, the troopers seen from the back with clear sandtrooper backpack features, those I refer to when I talk about the Jedha Sandtroopers.

The trooper with the "mortar pack" is the Kyber trooper for me.

Edited by Dutchy

This is a tough one. While I see where MEPD would like some more CRL's in their repertoire, just because it has a pack shouldn't automatically make it MEPD. I think there would need to be some differences in armor.

I don't know how to word this diplomatically and not offend anyone, but if they didn't want the HWT what makes this any different?

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

• Like 4

Regarding the Kyber trooper, it has some HWT features but I personally like to see all variants that have backpacks join the ranks of the MEPD.

Hey Dutchy, as a fellow TD I understand wanting to having every dirty packed trooper in the MEPD however, as you know not all TDs have packs. What I'm personally trying to decide here is what is the defining factor between the TD and TK? I've always thought it was the dirt, then along came the HWT which the MEPD was well, technically embarrassed of so handed it over to the FISD who gave it some love, and now it's exploding.

Now we have several combinations of troopers in one movie alone. We clearly have clean and dirt or dirty sand laden backpack versions. Then we have versions with just pauldrons, just like on Tatooine. What's even more confusing is the guy in the prison transport for example who looks like their covered in grease, not dirt.

Who or what goes where? 

• Like 4

Hey guys - just a history lesson for those newer folk in the Legion. In the beginning 20 years go the Legion started with TK's, and then added Vaders.

MEPD was actually the first detachment that was stood up in the Legion, back when the Legion was still on Yahoo. Yeah, can you believe the Legion didn't have a forum back then?

When I started in 2005 - 12 years ago, MEPD was one of the few detachments in the Legion. There was no FISD. MEPD had one costume, but then so did Pathfiders and Jolly Rogers (before it was an official det no less).

I created FISD in 2006 with the goal of making it the "MEPD for TK's", and originally there was only 1 TK approvable costume. Yup, it's true. Legion costumeID of 1 was the TK. There were no CRLs and no seperate breakdowns for anything else. All TK's got lumped together and you could have an ROTJ helmet on an ANH body. Truth.

MEPD was orignally going to have the HWT when it came out in 2009, but the DL at the time for MEPD was (IIRC) Mike Harrison, and he wanted MEPD to be only ANH sandtroopers, so we got it as it had no where else to go.

I wanted to give everyone this background as some of statements and assumptions are not correct.

In fact, getting dirty TK's with accessories - whether they be R1 or HWT - is basically getting things back to the beginning.

Also, the fact that Legion sandtroopers not needing packs is a recent change. They originally did, and personally I think it shoudl be an L1 requirement for all Legion TD's again.

• Like 4

I stand corrected however, over the last couple years I've spoken to a few SWAT level TDs, they didn't want the HWT for several reasons, #1 being it's from a game and not OTTK worthy. We gave it a new life, it gains in popularity and now the MEPD wants it back?  lol

• Like 1

I stand corrected however, over the last couple years I've spoken to a few SWAT level TDs, they didn't want the HWT for several reasons, #1 being it's from a game and not OTTK worthy. We gave it a new life, it gains in popularity and now the MEPD wants it back?  lol

The first sentence is I believe a true statement. In fact that is why Mike Harrison booted it out - he wanted MEPD to be only ANH OT TKs. I think Dutchy can respond for the wants of the larger detachment.

As for #2, I can't comment as I think it best MEPD speak for itself. I think the people who's opinion will matter most is the HWT costume holders themselves, as it is they who are most affected.

• Like 2

Without wishing to ruffle feathers...MEPD(of which I am also a member) isn't exactly keen on housing the Spec Edition Sandie( for the uninitiated..its a repurposed ROTJ TK). If the Sandie det( or a significant portion of its membership) doesn't even want a bonafide actual Sandie variation...why do they want the R1 versions?!

Sent from my R4 unit using Tapatalk

But seriously....I do feel for MEPD that they do not have a lot of choices.  However, assignments to Legions CRL's should be made on the facts from the movies, games, etc...  If you made a checklist for TD vs HWT, you would see that the only check you could put on the TD side would be the pack from Rogue One.  However, you could put that same checkmark on the HWT side, plus the armor is the same.  If it was TD armor, then I would say it is MEPD.  Both the Jedha and Kyber Stormtroopers have the TK armor and just different pack variants.  As a maker of packs (I have made the Jedha and the Kyber has been designed) I have thoroughly inspected the elements of the armor and packs.

This is my 2 cents and is not meant to be insult anyone.

• Like 1

This is a fascinating discussion.  As a Sandtrooper myself and part of the MEPD command staff, I would love to see some expansion of our CRLs.  I agree with one point raised above, there should probably be a CRL for the Special Edition trooper for anyone who may be interested.  I'm not keen on the look myself as the weathering is very heavy, but why should I prevent someone else from doing it if that's what they want.

That being said, I would love to see the Jedha trooper in the MEPD.  I know there are some small pieces that make it fit with the OT TK, but the overall look to me says Sandtrooper.  And for the comment above about MEPD being a ghost town, we've had an increase in traffic since the last election and I think having the Jedha trooper could help increase our traffic even more.  

I also think it's interesting that the official movie book called the Jedha troopers sandtroopers.  I would think that anyone who buys that book and sees that pictures would think to look at MEPD for that CRL.  Wouldn't want to confuse new recruits more than they already can be with the wealth of information.

I understand you're love here for the HWT.  I don't know that we could take that from you, but I personally think the Jedha trooper is a natural fit for us.

• Like 3

I understand that these ideas might rustle some feathers but as Deatrin posted about the history of the MEPD and the 501st as a whole things might and can be interpreted in another way.

The MEPD needs to keep moving forward as well, as the other detachments. Expanding our "universe" by adding new costumes to the MEPD was  and is the most logical way. But first of all we need to reach some form of consencus about which costume belongs where.

Plus I really see an added value of working together with the FISD, after all...we all serve one emperor ;)

And I can already tell you this, if "your" costume ends up over at the MEPD you'll receive all the honors and praise for the work that is done to get the costume up to snuff.

• Like 2