Dremel Bit Cutting Test - Trimming examples

Hi all,

I conducted a little test regarding dremel bits, types, and how they effect my AM 2.0 Armor (.090 ABS). What i wanted to do was be sure there was not a more accurate / faster way to trim using the dremel...will share that conclusion at the end. 

Figured I would share the results in case anyone was interested. 

What I did was take a "scrap" drop box I had lying around, and I made a half-square mark on all four sides. I then tested 5 "bits".

My "experiment parameters" - Dremel 4000 (variable speed on full / 10) - and a dremel "extension" I use to have more control. Also...SAFETY GLASSES AND GLOVES.

Here are the pics for each bit, with a small synopsis:

1. "All Purpose" Cutting bit 

wESwVqN.jpg

This one will cut smooth edges...but...I held it VERY firmly...and it still wanted to run away from me. It turns easy (wants to...remember), and will cut a straight line. Even though the pic looks off...I wanted to see how close I could get it to the corner without a crack - no cracking. The struggle is keeping it reigned in...so this one comes with a big warning.Bottom line...it will work...but you had better be 100% focused and HOLD ON! So - Pass - but again...you better hold this one.

2. Bit #9901 "High Speed Cutter / Carbide"

mKOqmea.jpg

This one cuts relatively smoothly...as far as holding / guiding. However...look at the "burrs". These come right off, but...the cuts underneath are rough (can be sanded). And, this build-up, makes it harder to cut a straight line & see where you are going. No cracks on armor. This one also made the "turn" well. Not seeing where you are going due to the buildup of the melting ABS could mean a bad mistake. So - FAIL.

3. Bit #199 - "High Speed Cutter"

9D4Gi0H.jpg

This one was smooth...the easiest to cut. But...corners take a delicate touch. And this one moves fast on you (but is stable). Look at the top right corner...I ever-so-slightly cut over. Could be bad if you loose it. Essentially, this one is a "mini circular saw". It doesn't crack the armor...and, it is "cutting" rather than "burning". So...PASS...with a disclaimer. Use it for a straight area if needed.

4. Dremel "Cutting Disc"

HVkAWeh.jpg

One word - melt. This one simply uses friction to melt the armor. Does it cut, yes, rather easy to cut through...but not worth the risk of melting or cracking. Harder to manipulate to shape. FAIL

Dremel #113 (Diamond Detail bit - mostly for engraving)

mKOqmea.jpg

This one "burns" the armor as well. But, it will smoothly cut through...cut is "rough" but will sand out. I had good control with it...but in the end...it isn't "cutting". This one is a great "detail bit" for Bucket frown / teeth. and any really small things. So...PASS but not the best choice. 

Here is what I cut with each:

Uhwwo6I.jpg

In the end...a picture is worth a thousand words:

JodkBwE.jpg

I trimmed the 1/8" return edge on my AM 2.0 shin with these. Radio on, carefully measure, and trim slowly. Using the Scissors and trimmers (Stanley sheet metal) on the straight runs, and cleaning it up with the Utility blade and the exacto (rounded turns). 

"So why did you do all this?"...well I saw a few places where folks were using dremels or wanted to...I had the bits...so I figured I would show the different cuts / results to help if anyone needed it. While taking a break from trimming. 

Hope it helps someone.

Have a great weekend!

• Like 4

I use a similar tip to your second image but it is rounded on the end and seems to get into the corners quite well.

-------

For the cutting disc I use a thin diamond disc, works great with ABS and doesn't melt as much as other cutting discs do.

--------

Edited by gmrhodes13
link removed no longer working

Thanks GM...I actually have the diamond wheel...for cutting tile...and I am pretty sure that one would be more smooth than the "disc"...I just didn't test that one. I'll add that one in. Looking at the 1st bit you posted, I would see where the "staggered teeth" may allow for a smoother cut as well. I'll grab one.

Thanks Melissa! You are most welcome! I found a "dremel bit guide" on Pinterest if that helps you. 

Happy trimming everyone!

Great post, Jon!  I tried several of the bits you shoed, and like you mentioned, most just burn the ABS.  I found that in the end a pair of tin-snips and a razor knife did the best for me.  I did use the Dremel sanding drum attachment to save some time smoothing out the return edges before sanding, though.  With any of the Dremel bits, I recommend starting with a slow speed until you get the hang of it, as they can get out of control quickly. 

Nice job, Jon!  Your experiences pretty much echo what I've learned.  There are people who are hardcore Dremel PROS and want to use it on everything.  They're so good with them that most of the issues you noted, they would easily handle.  BUT for anyone who does not work with a Dremel DAILY for years on end, and definitely anyone new, I really don't think a Dremel is a good tool for the main armor cutting.  (detail work here and there, it's great for, but not really the main trimming job)

I continue to maintain that the traditional Score and Snap method is best.  For thinner armor, and the seriously timid, Lexan scissors work reasonably well, too, but score and snap is still best in my book.  (The Lexan scissors may be best for the accident-prone with 4 left thumbs, too, but I don't know how well it fares with thicker armor)

I did a quick how-to/demo video at one point on FB.  I should upload that to YouTube and post it here at some point.

• Like 1

I used the cutting disk to do a rough cut on the Anovos. Was great for quickly trimming the excess flashing around the pulls, followed with the lexan scissors at the cut line.

Score / snap didn't work for me on anything with a return edge, though was great for the flat seams under the cover strips.

Dremel and belt sander I'd consider optional for future builds, especially for those without one when starting a build.

Edited by vettereddie

I used the cutting disk to do a rough cut on the Anovos. Was great for quickly trimming the excess flashing around the pulls, followed with the lexan scissors at the cut line.

Score / snap didn't work for me on anything with a return edge, though was great for the flat seams under the cover strips.

Dremel and belt sander I'd consider optional for future builds, especially for those without one when starting a build.

This video demo of Score and Snap may help:

Edited by kman
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks all!

Took Joseph's advice and went with the "sanding drum" and it made very light work of a good, clean edge.And did get it done in record time.

Also found it useful to run a quick "rough edge" for applying the E-6000 too.

Good Stuff!

I have done two Anovos kits now and nothing was faster than score and snap. I scored with a fresh until knife then made a cut on all return edges with the lexan scissors to create a path for the snap to start and stop. This allows for clean snaps with no bending tearing or cracking.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 2