Problem with the calves...:-(

I´ve a problem with my new FX:

Has anywhere an idea,where I can close my calves on the back.The calves has a distance from ca.6 or 7cm between the 2 parts. :(

Whats the best material to put it in this split to close it for trooping?

------------

I´m a bodybuilder,so my calves are a little bit bigger than the ones from most other guys. :(

Edited by gmrhodes13
link not working removed

A friend of mine came up with attaching white vinyl upholstery or faux leather fabric on the inside of my FX calves with velcro. About an inch is all that can be seen from behind, but it looks like you may need more fabric for your calves. Not sure if you can add ABS plastic pieces to "shim" them without looking too obvious. Hope you find an answer :D

A friend of mine came up with attaching white vinyl upholstery or faux leather fabric on the inside of my FX calves with velcro. About an inch is all that can be seen from behind, but it looks like you may need more fabric for your calves. Not sure if you can add ABS plastic pieces to "shim" them without looking too obvious. Hope you find an answer :D

The vinyl is a good idea...but I dont know whats the best way to fix it.That are the dark sites of Bodybuilding! :D

Yep, I had the same problem with my FX calves (also with the biceps and forearms), although my calves aren't nearly as FREAKIN' MASSIVE as yours. :lol:

I used extra ABS to close mine, but it looks like the vinyl option might be best for you. How big around are your calves, anyway?

Yep, I had the same problem with my FX calves (also with the biceps and forearms), although my calves aren't nearly as FREAKIN' MASSIVE as yours. :lol:

I used extra ABS to close mine, but it looks like the vinyl option might be best for you. How big around are your calves, anyway?

Yes Bodybuilding is the wrong sport for a trooper...my arms are 51cm cold..and if I pump them a little bit,the velcro at the arms blow away.So I have problems with the shoulders..the bicepsparts are to big,to hold them under the shoulder all the time. :D

My calves are 48cm cold...not the biggest,but big enough for the FX-armor. :(

kroenen77 said:

Has anywhere an idea,where I can close my calves on the back.The calves has a distance from ca.6 or 7cm between the 2 parts. :(

--------------

I´m a bodybuilder,so my calves are a little bit bigger than the ones from most other guys. :(

Wow... I have those SAME calves!

I used "black out material" for curtains. It's dirt cheep and a good match on the white color.

I thought the vinyl was far too shiny and had a weird "faux leather" texture.

One suggestion I have is to attach the pieces in the back (the fabric) with Velcro and leave them attached. Then take your calves off from the front. The way to do this with your knee plate is to un-rivet the right (inner-leg) side of it and get a small white brad to fasten that side back together with after you put your armor on. The brad idea, actually, just came to me last week... I have been using a piece of Velcro with good success until now.

Hope that helps!

Edited by gmrhodes13
link not working removed

Bro, they are the "for sale" signs or blinds for windows. Here in the US, they are thin plastic signs placed on car windows. You can buy these in any hardware or auto parts store. They flex easily and you can velcro them and glue the other end. Unfortunatley, you made need to paint them to match the color.

The clone way is to use ABS plastic (bought at any plastic store or sign shop) and then use bondo or scupting putty to make it seamless. If you got some "skills" with a heat gun, you shape the plastic to your calves. Or some folks like to use boiling water which may be safer from warping as much.

The Clones call this "spooning". Check out the Clone forum if you want to see their alternative. More work with sanding and painting, but would look much better if done correctly. Good luck!

Bro, they are the "for sale" signs or blinds for windows. Here in the US, they are thin plastic signs placed on car windows. You can buy these in any hardware or auto parts store. They flex easily and you can velcro them and glue the other end. Unfortunatley, you made need to paint them to match the color.

The clone way is to use ABS plastic (bought at any plastic store or sign shop) and then use bondo or scupting putty to make it seamless. If you got some "skills" with a heat gun, you shape the plastic to your calves. Or some folks like to use boiling water which may be safer from warping as much.

The Clones call this "spooning". Check out the Clone forum if you want to see their alternative. More work with sanding and painting, but would look much better if done correctly. Good luck!

Thanks for the great tips...but do have a pic from this for "sale signs" for me?Here in germany I´ve never seen that.

Hello Mark,

Here is a thin plastic sign I use for work. They are bought in our auto or hardware stores, ask for styrene plastic. It's only 1mm thick, so it is very pliable. Some of our TKs use it for their side armor to replace the gap.

------------

Edited by gmrhodes13
link not working removed

I am having the same problem with my FX kit. My calves are 17.5" at the widest part. I only need an inch or inch and a half at the most to close them. I am thinking of shimming with more ABS. I am hoping the seam will be mostly hidden by the ridge that runs down the back.

How did you attached the velcro to the vinyl?

I used industrial strength velcro that has the stickier adhesive on it. The soft side attached to the calves facing inward to my underarmor and the prickly side attached to the vinyl facing out. I guess you could sew the velcro to the vinyl for more durability but I haven't needed to do so. Hope this helps.

• 3 weeks later...
kroenen77 said:

---------------

Guten Tag!

I have the same problems with my calves, & theighs. But unlike your muscle mass mines fat...haha

I will be using the vinyl to close the gaps on my open areas. i know your post is a lil old, but I just got here last night. My wife is from Germany(Berlin) If you need help with some translations or descriptions of what an item is we can help.

Moege die Macht mit Dir sein

Edited by gmrhodes13
link not working removed

• 1 month later...

Hi

This maybe a relevant thread for myself! I've resisted the initial temptation to purchase something straight off ebay and I'm going over the message boards for more details before I purchase my first kit! This thread brought up a big warning sign for myself. My fault for playing ice hockey.....

Will I find any specific kits are a bit too small for myself?

Calfs 17"

Thighs 27"

Stomach 36" (gotta cut out that Canadien)

Chest 42"

Forehead 21" (lol -measured around above the ears)

biceps 12" forearm 14"

I'm thinking FXlite or TE2 (although I'm not too sure on the availability of TE2's in the UK).

Any help will be appreciated!

Cheers Chris

I'd advise against vinyl. Using a plastic (ABS) shim isn't that hard. Using vinyl to close that gap will not really fly and your GML will just have you move to using a plastic shim anyway.

There was a big bru-ha-ha about this on clones. It didn't pass there, won't pass here I'm afraid.