Actual Screen Used Material

Auel

Not sure if this has been brought up. 

But I have been watching Secrets of the Force and TFA back to back and after lots of observation. I believe some parts of the suits used in the film are made of rubber and plastic.

There's lots of squeaking when the armour was put on during this scene from Secrets of the Force. And look at the contour on the chest and torso..

post-28955-0-25446400-1480767491_thumb.jpg

And the amount of flex during this scene on Finn's armor.

post-28955-0-63246000-1480767616_thumb.jpg

Would this be a requirement for a future centurion status for the FOTK? :P  

Edited by Auel

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Correct me if I'm wrong but I'm sure I read somewhere that the screen used armour was cast as opposed to being formed?

​If that is the case and I'm not just miss-remembering, its most likely either a flexible polyurethane resin such as Smooth-on semi rigid or simpact resins.

​A similar result can also be acheived by mixing a polyurethane resin with a polyurethane rubber in various ratios dependant on the amount of flex, impact resistance and dimensional stability needed.

I know a couple of people who were in TFA as troopers, next time I speak to one I'll see if they can answer this or if there's some NDA still.

Please do. :)

I messaged one of them:

They were injection moulded and came in a couple of stiffnesses. Some where rubbery (his words) some stiffer. It was all a bit mix and match when they did their shoot.

I had access to two suits that were so called screen used. They were 3D printed.

It stands to reason that they would use whatever they needed for action shots, so they no doubt had some sort of pliable armor.

I can't remember off-hand what the stuff is called. But for the Iron Man films, a lot of the practical armor pieces they used were made of stiff urethane rubber. They combined that with fiberglass, plastic, and metal pieces to make the entire suit. So it's definitely possible that a couple pieces of the Stormtroopers' suits might have been the same kind of rigid urethane rubber for flexibility of the actors. If I can track down which material it was, I'll post it up.