Hit and run

TK4205

I got rear ended at a stop sign after getting off the freeway. Had my wife and two kids in the car. We got shoved into another car with a mom and two infant children. The guy that hit me took off. We were all OK untill the state trooper arived. I can't beleive what a Jerk he was. He laid into us for not getting the H&R drivers lscense plate number. We were both fixing to get tickets utill a city cop showed up and assumed jurisdiction. The state trooper was more concerned about losing a hit and run than he was about the well being of the children. He even eluded to insurance fraud. What an embarassing kreep. I couldn't help myself: I mouthed off at him for his behavior.

In 25 years of driving, this is the first accident that I have been in. I have no idea how it might play out. The city police wrote it up as a hit and run and refused to write us tickets to the chagrin of the state trooper. I'm sure glad that city cop showed up; Finally a cop when you need one. :lol:

Thank you all who read my rant. If any of you have been in this situation before, please chime in.

hope you took the guys badge number and lodged a formal complaint.

something similar happened not far from me in the uk.

some kids kept kicking a ball against this old guys wall, he complained to the police but they said they couldn't do anything without proof, so the guy took pictures of the kids one day when they were doing it and called the police again. when they showed up he showed them the photos and rather than help him, they told him that he shouldn't be taking the pictures because people might think hes a peadophile, and they took his camera away.

sadly there are some awful cops out there. not a lot as most are good guys but theres still a few who don't deserve the authority given to them.

I might mention that the hit and run ddisturbs me more than a cop having a bad day. My record was spotless. No wrecks and I've never been caught speeding. I have full coverage, but I'm affraid it's going to cost me.

Its good that no one was injured; property damage can always be repaired too. That's why you pay for insurance; it takes care of you when things like this happen.

Either way, report the facts to your insurance company, advise them that a report for hit and run was taken and get your car fixed. Potentially, the woman whose car you were pushed into may try to get you to pay for her damages. She should do the same thing though and report the facts to her insurance company. Let the insurance companies work it out.

It would be this way regardless of if you got the hit and run driver's tag. Hit and run is a criminal charge; the courts can levy fines and order damages paid but only if the driver gets convicted. That could take months, even if the police had the information to hunt him down and if your car is heavily damaged, you would have to wait all that time.

Your right, it will at least cost you your deductible and maybe an increased premium. If you have a good record with a reputable company, they should take your record into account before they jack up the costs. Even still, don't be afraid to negotiate with them if that happens and look elsewhere for coverage. While you will have to report the accident to any insurance agencies you are thinking about switching to, it may be cheaper than the increased premiums with the company you have now.

But all this speculating is getting ahead of things; start with calling your insurance company and talking with them. And if you are really dissatisfied with the trooper, then call the local barracks and make the complaint.

And always be glad its just a little car damage.

Ditto to everything Thumper said. He makes a lot of sense.

I would have expected the state trooper to know to behave better.

Even in minor car accidents, the people involved are completely rattled by the experience. Officers ought to know to handle the situation a bit more gingerly - especially since there were kids in both cars. As a parent you were certainly more concerned with assessing the condition of the kids rather than write down a license number.

The state trooper certainly made a bad situation worse.

My mother had an accident not too far away from this one..

She was parked at Home Depot, in their parking lot; and then the intercom chimed in, "will the owner of an Infinti G37 with license plate bla bla bla please come to the front desk", and so my mother went to the front desk.

They then told her at the front desk that someone was looking for her in the parking lot, and she went outside to her car. There were two people there (the couple near my mom's car that were concerned after they saw her vehicle get hit) whom then told my mother that they had seen this young kid hit my mother's Infiniti with his Toyota Tundra, and he was about to drive off when they stopped him and asked for his info....they got his info, but because he seemed angry and in a rush, they didn't believe it was his real info, and so they wrote down his license plate as he drove away; and then they told her, call the police, get them here, tell them what we told you, and have them find that man...

And so, my mom followed suit, and called the cops. They came in, and then proceeded to find the young man. Unfortunately, he had given the wrong info, and so they charged him criminally, as obviously it's illegal to give the wrong info; and as the result of three weeks later, and a bunch of insurance claims and bills and all that fun stuff, her car is now back at her house, and it looks brand new.

The front left tire bumper had been completely dented in, to the point where the wheel was barely able to work, much less turn.

Now, she is waiting to hear about the young man's "charge" and see what he gets for it...he may get jail time as far as I've heard from my mom...

But hey, that's life..what can ya do?

:rolleyes:

Don't let it get to ya, try to think of the best of it.

I had a motorbike crash once, funny thing is...the bike went into a ditch, and I just rolled along the road....much like a ball rolls on the road. Not fun, I was dazed, but my helmet/bike had NO scratches whatsoever, so I consider myself very very lucky. All I had was a scrape on my leg, and a sprained leg from the side of the bike slamming my leg into the ditch and then ejecting me onto the road.

- Darke

Really have to echo what everyone else has said. Glad to hear that no one is hurt, especially with the young ones in the car. Sounds like the Trooper may have been trying to fill his quota of tickets for the month. I really hope somebody got his badge # and is going to report it.

Sorry to hear about your accident. Really Hate those people who don't accept responsibility for their actions. On top of it, you had a jerk of a trooper as well...

You may want to take you and your family to see a chiropractor on Monday. Sometimes, things get jostled up and need to get put back in place. You may start to feel sore in a few days too so now is a good time to put ice to minimize the inflamation

Take care and be well

Gimme a call if you need to bro! Man, this sucks. Actually since you weren't at fault your policy should be unchanged. At least, mine never did when I was in the same situation.

The main thing is you guys are unhurt. That would be the worst.

I'm usually a patient person, but I must say that I've been chompin at the bit over our insurance policy. We re-read our policy when we got home, but it's vague. I guess we'll find out more tomorrow.

The main thing is that nobody got hurt. That is the good news, and the best news. Now, as for the trooper's behaviour, I agree with those who wondered if you got his badge number. He needs a good reporting.

Insurance issues are a pain no matter what happens, so try not to think of it as being difficult because of exactly what happened. I've never heard of a pleasant insurance proceeding... ever.

I also recommend legal advice with regard to the insurance claim. You pro'ly know this, but don't agree to or sign anythng unless you truely understand the consequences - and what you think you understand may not be what the insurance company understands. If you get my drift.

Good news, bad news.

Bad news is a deductable. Good news is no fault on my part, which means that it will not go against my record, and my premium will not go up.

Thanks for the well wishes.

Glad to hear that you and your family are alright. Stinks that you have to pay the deductable, but everyone is ok and thats the important thing.