Another ANH stunt build? Yes, another one.

TJisThatGuy

Hello all. This will be my first, and judging by my progress so far, my last build ever. I kid. I hope to be doing this forever.

The ol' BBB arrived no too long ago and I finally had a chance to get started. I was so excited to begin that I didn't take any pictures.

I figured I'd start with the most iconic piece, the bucket. It's almost done. I'll post some pics when I get home, all I have left is to trim and attach the ears. And a little paint here and there.

f26c58496349695092999a3f74e9d603.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Looks like you have a good start, TJ!  To open up those teeth, I would pick up a needle file set at Lowe's or Home Depot.  Also, you will need to lower the brow a bit.  Take your time, and if you have any questions, it's always best to ask before cutting.  Have fun with it, and best of luck on your build!

• Like 1

Looks like you have a good start, TJ! To open up those teeth, I would pick up a needle file set at Lowe's or Home Depot. Also, you will need to lower the brow a bit. Take your time, and if you have any questions, it's always best to ask before cutting. Have fun with it, and best of luck on your build!

Hey, thanks for reading. And I appreciate the assistance.

I read that the brow would get pulled down a bit when I set the rivets, so I put it slightly higher than I wanted it. Unfortunately, it didn't lower. And I've drilled the holes and riveted it. Would that be a tremendous pain to fix?

I know AM is coming out with a new 2 piece bucket soon. So I was thinking this could be my trial and error helmet until I get the new one.

Edited by TJisThatGuy

Excited to see this come together! And it will be nice for you to practice in this bucket before you get your other one. Before you know it you'll be a pro! ;) <br><br>

Good luck! Feel free to ask any questions you may have.

The rivets can be (carefully) drilled out with a carbon drill bit, so hopefully you won't need to need to purchase another bucket.  I know I must have put 10 holes in my AM helmet, and yes, I had to remove a few rivets in the process before I got it correct.

• Like 1

Hey there TJ, welcome aboard!

A few points that I'll throw out there:

1)  There are never enough Stormtroopers.

2)  There can never be too many Stormtroopers.

3)  The brow should be fine as is (in my opinion) since you are building an ANH Stunt variant.  I'd suggest lowering it if your build were a Hero, but you should be good to go for a Stunt.

Keep up the good work.  You're definitely off to a good start!

• Like 4

:smiley-sw013: TJ,

At this point in time, I'm going to suggest that you go and watch the movie again.  You know, for research purposes.  ;)

What you'll notice is that there are very few (if any) Stunt TKs with low set brow trim.  That's typical of the Hero buckets.  Find a TK that speaks to you personally, and build it like that.  With the Stunt build, you really have the option of personal choice with regard to that.

It may not be the best picture because of the angle, but here you can see a Stunt bucket alongside a Hero bucket, and you can sort of see the difference in the brow trim height.

c38b5dd4-67d0-458f-9639-49c7469368d0_zps

When in doubt, check screen captures and ask your questions afterward.  You can't typically go wrong with the source material as your guide.   :smiley-sw013:

:

When in doubt, check screen captures and ask your questions afterward. You can't typically go wrong with the source material as your guide. :smiley-sw013:

Perhaps I should go hero. There's so many poorly made stunt helmets in the movies. And I definitely prefer the lower brow.

Alright. I lowered the brow a tad. And although I was able to do it with out making any more visible holes, it was an exceedingly frustrating process. So this will end my work for tonight.

You need calm and patience for this work. And a frustrated TJ is neither of those things.

c1c44ad13db64996676072acc7621b00.jpg6e41db01ac8ce2b723813b7e04adba5e.jpge111686c38e9ad241834fe43ca7ec251.jpg

• Like 2

Looking good, TJ.

The Hero buckets differ in several other ways, and changing up right now would require you to, at the very least, fill in two of those teeth with ABS paste, as the Hero helmet only has six teeth cut out of it.

Additionally, you'd need bubble lenses, and a different set of ears (or the ability to substantially modify the Stunt ears).

Looking good, TJ.

The Hero buckets differ in several other ways, and changing up right now would require you to, at the very least, fill in two of those teeth with ABS paste, as the Hero helmet only has six teeth cut out of it.

Additionally, you'd need bubble lenses, and a different set of ears (or the ability to substantially modify the Stunt ears).

Sounds like you're saying "stick with stunt." And I agree. Thanks for the breakdown.

• Like 1

People have indeed made the Stunt to Hero conversion by themselves, but it would be a very daunting and nerve-wracking process for a first time builder to tackle.

I'm not saying it is impossible, but typically, it would require some heating and reshaping of plastic.  It isn't for the faint of heart, and it's probably best tackled after some experience is gained with those processes in particular.

• Like 1

Yes, the change from stunt to hero can be a more of a challenge.

However if you're wanting to go that path mate and don't mind doing a little trial and error, it can be quite a rewarding build.

Let me know if you decide you want to take that route and I would be happy to help you along the way as I did a hero build for my first set of armor.

There are links in my build thread that can help you track down bubble lenses and hero ears for your bucket!

Pyrates AP Build and Journey to The 501st

https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink?url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww%2Ewhitearmor%2Enet%2Fforum%2Findex%2Ephp%3F%2Ftopic%2F34182-Pyrates-AP-Build-and-Journey-to-The-501st&share_tid=34182&share_fid=44557&share_type=t

Have an epic journey, and I look forward to watching you progress to the blast doors of the 501st! Fist bump - Troopers helping Troopers Whoooo-Wahhh!

Edited by Pyrates
  • Like 1

So if I were to drill through the pre made indent to attach the ear, it would miss the face portion of the helmet. I've approximated with the red dot where I should drill to catch all three layers of helmet.

post-28621-14730460154_thumb.jpg

The s-trim, I think, wouldn't reach the indent to hide it. Is it a big deal if both the screw and the indent are visible?

The screw will be visible, no matter what, so there isn't an issue there. The indent will matter less, since in order to get the S trim to line up properly, you will most likely have to take a bit off of the back portion and the bottom of the ear piece, and then it may cover the indent... not sure how to address that in the best way, however.

• 3 weeks later...

The screw will be visible, no matter what, so there isn't an issue there. The indent will matter less, since in order to get the S trim to line up properly, you will most likely have to take a bit off of the back portion and the bottom of the ear piece, and then it may cover the indent... not sure how to address that in the best way, however.

Thanks. Sorry it's been a bit since I've had time. I'm getting back to it now.

I'm going to step away from the helmet for a bit. I find my lack of progress disturbing.

I'll attempt some of the limbs. They seem much easier than the helmet, and as this is my first build I could use the confidence boost.

Your shins look good to me.  I would remove those returns on the bottom before gluing them together, though.  :)

BTW, I had wonky scoring lines on my shins, too.  The cover strip will hide any imperfections in the work.