Rogue One Stormtrooper CRL

Dark CMF

Hey Tim and Daetrin! Something to add to the CRL discussion. 

What if weathering for just a normal TK was an option? In R1 you have the TK's on the Mining Colony planet that are transporting Jyn and the other prisoners to a labor camp. Even has a bit of a close up with the "I thought we had everybody" trooper. 

I found this online as well. It confirms the glossiness of the TK's paint job.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DWYOJru3n6c

Edited by Par_

I would presume weathering would be an option on the same CRL.   Tim is driving this one - I'll let him chime in to the other points.

• Like 2

I would presume weathering would be an option on the same CRL.   Tim is driving this one - I'll let him chime in to the other points.

Yup. Oh! I thought you were doing this CRL with Tim. I think that's been part of the confusion on my end. Thanks for letting me know :D

Also, HD reference in this video!

Edited by Par_
  • Like 1

So I've run into a dilemma regarding boots.

So IB boots doesn't make their boots in my size (they call it my size, but they undercut. My shoe should be something like 12.5, and that is their highest size), and Crowprops takes forever to ship (Anovos style shipping, except without communication), so the only other maker besides Corsair kids (I really don't want to go with them) is TK Boots. They make OT boots as most of you are aware.

So in regards to the CRL, the FOTK CRL says for the boots that TK boots for basic approval are permitted, is there a possibility we could do that with this CRL (especially since these TK's go directly into ANH)? It would be a lot easier having a TK boot that's been resoled on the bottom to have the flat sole.

• Like 1

I am in favor of allowing ANH style boots for the R1 CRL. Much of what we have already discussed directly demonstrates that there will have to be some heavy use of ANH parts and accessories in the early going at least, since there are no R1 specific kits or accessories available yet. We can always update later if/when properly styled kits and accessories hit the market. The CRL, like the others, will be a living, evolving document.

I prefer that the L1 be pretty accessible.  If you look at clones, those early Glover suits we had weren't fully accurate, but were pretty much all we had at the time.  Kinda like how FX was for us - the backbone of the Legion until better came along.  I think getting people to a good likeness so they can troop and putting in tighter items for L2/L3 will also give the prop making community time to up their game.

• Like 2

I 100% agree with both of you. Basic shpuld be basic, not EIB or Centurion.

And awesome! I'll go ahead and grab a pair of TK boots, and possibly have them worked on to have the flat sole.

Edited by Par_

Hey Tim! So a few more ideas to bring up for the CRL. There hasn't been much traffic, so trying to "mover er along." 

So the chest armor. Daetrin was mentioning that he'd like this to be a pretty accesible, with basic really being basic. The chest armor is your normal TK armor, with the only real revision is the curve in the sculpt that goes up towards the shoulder straps. If you look at it, it curves to the edge, instead of being more straight.

Do you guys want to allow already made ANH chest armor for basic, mainly because it has the generic shape, only it doesn't have this curvature detail? I mean, it would be easier to get pretty clean sculpted ANH armor, and add the black strip of plastic under the arms that connect to the back armor. Im looking at chest armor similar to the one you have in your signature DarthCMF. Also the only other modification would be to add the slots for the shoulder straps.

And here is an idea I have for the ribbed suit. I'm thinking measurements of the ribs only come in more for the EIB and Centurion levels, with basic having it be a fairly small kind of rib going along the shirt and gaskets.  

Edited by Par_
  • Like 1

I like your idea of making the Crystal pack and pauldron optional accessories for this CRL. I'm not sure if you're up for it, but would you be willing to write the known details about the backpack for the CRL? I mean, obviously open discussion, but was wondering if you would like to kick it off so we have some information regarding them :)

I would love to help write the CRL for the Crystal Patrol Pack optional accessory, I could also supply good photos of my completed pack using all original parts for the CRL when it goes live.

Here are some comparison shots of my pack next to the screen used one displayed at Star Wars Celebration Europe 2016.

The top photo of me was actually taken by a Disney photographer and posted on their facebook webpage, I was trooping the Canadian VIP Premiere of Rogue One in downtown Toronto at the Scotiabank Theater on December 14th, 2016.

image_zpsz5zxcx8n.jpeg

image_zpstzggkbpn.jpegimage_zpsujyz5p8g.jpeg

Edited by SlyFox740
  • Like 1

Neck seal:

If someone could provide a pic of the neck seal in this that'd be awesome. I still haven't seen one, but am assuming it's like all the other ribbed versions.

I found some decent references for the neck seal; From the "Star Wars ROGUE ONE Ultimate Visual Guide" on one of the last pages in a photo taken of the troopers from "Behind The Scenes"

Hdtww0v.jpg

A good closeup from the side, I count 11 ribs total.

1UIkIVS.jpg

The Closure at the back. The bib part of the neckseal looks to be made of the same ribbed fabric as the rest of the bodysuit.

PizAcT9.jpg

Here's a closer look, at the back you can see the fabric from the bib part of the neck seal sticking out.

wYkocH4.jpg

Edited by SlyFox740
  • Like 1

It also appears that some of the troopers wore balaclavas and some did not, there is an action sequence in the film where you can actually clearly see a trooper's chin and jaw up inside his bucket, but as you can see some troopers actually did wear them on set.

Edited by SlyFox740

Are you referring to the action sequence with the Rebel rescue on the prisoner transport? You can see no balaclava in that scene.

Yes I believe that is the scene, there may even be more than one. Anyways here's a behind the scenes video where you can spot several troopers rehearsing without buckets and they are wearing balaclavas.

scroll to 3:38 there's one in the back left,

scroll to 8:28 there's a few with and a few without.

Edited by SlyFox740
  • Like 1

Hey Tim! So a few more ideas to bring up for the CRL. There hasn't been much traffic, so trying to "mover er along." 

So the chest armor. Daetrin was mentioning that he'd like this to be a pretty accesible, with basic really being basic. The chest armor is your normal TK armor, with the only real revision is the curve in the sculpt that goes up towards the shoulder straps. If you look at it, it curves to the edge, instead of being more straight.

Do you guys want to allow already made ANH chest armor for basic, mainly because it has the generic shape, only it doesn't have this curvature detail? I mean, it would be easier to get pretty clean sculpted ANH armor, and add the black strip of plastic under the arms that connect to the back armor. Im looking at chest armor similar to the one you have in your signature DarthCMF. Also the only other modification would be to add the slots for the shoulder straps.

And here is an idea I have for the ribbed suit. I'm thinking measurements of the ribs only come in more for the EIB and Centurion levels, with basic having it be a fairly small kind of rib going along the shirt and gaskets.  

Yes, allowing unmodified ANH chest armor for basic approval when the CRL is green-lighted is very likely going to happen.  

When we compile the text (in the relatively near future) the close look and discussion for that part will focus on what modifications (if any) should, or need to be made to an ANH base part for approval of a Rogue One Stormtrooper.

• Like 1

As for the Kyber Crystal Collection backpack...

I will apologize as the details of the conversation elude me at the moment, but I already had that discussion with the LMO.

There are two different backpacks worn by Stormtroopers in Rogue One.

MEPD was clamoring for one of them - and that information is what is eluding me at the moment - specifically, which one they were asking about, but between the LMO and I, we decided that one could go to them, and the other would belong to us.  

Right now, at 12:18 am, I cannot recall which is supposed to belong to which Detachment.  I will have to look back and figure that out for all of us.

• Like 1

As for the Kyber Crystal Collection backpack...

I will apologize as the details of the conversation elude me at the moment, but I already had that discussion with the LMO.

There are two different backpacks worn by Stormtroopers in Rogue One.

MEPD was clamoring for one of them - and that information is what is eluding me at the moment - specifically, which one they were asking about, but between the LMO and I, we decided that one could go to them, and the other would belong to us.  

Right now, at 12:18 am, I cannot recall which is supposed to belong to which Detachment.  I will have to look back and figure that out for all of us.

Yes there are two different backpacks, and yes this has been discussed at length both here on FSID and on MEPD, It has been determined that the Crystal Patrol Duty is in fact used by "Standard Stormtroopers" while the other pack in the film has been positively identified as a "Sandtrooper Type 4 Field Pack" from the Rogue One Visual Guide.

I have posted some links below, command staff gets involved in some of these discussions and they agree;

Here's a post from earlier in this thread: http://www.whitearmor.net/forum/topic/38187-rogue-one-stormtrooper-crl/?p=535685

Here's a post about the two separate packs in our build thread: http://www.whitearmor.net/forum/topic/39073-celebration-europe-2016-rogue-one-stormtrooper-back-pack-build/?p=535076

Here's another thread about it from MEPD: http://forum.mepd.net/index.php?/topic/14846-rogue-one-jehda-patrols-are-sandtroopers/&do=findComment&comment=188212

Edited by SlyFox740

Visual guides and forum posts notwithstanding, I (as the FISD Detachment Leader) had a conversation with the LMO (who does get a say in such decisions) and we came to a decision about it.

I'm not sure where the conversation between MEPD and FISD, that MEPD says was happening actually took place, because it wasn't with me, and it wasn't with any member of the FISD Staff that took the time to share the information with me.

So, yes, as a result of the discussion between the LMO and I, FISD has the Kyber Crystal pack and MEPD gets the other one.

The visual guide - although a nice product and yes, produced with the blessings of LFL - contradicts itself repeatedly, and does not dictate anything to the Legion. It merely provides some very nice reference photos that we can use to fuel discussions - sometimes between members of both Detachment and Legion Commands.

The visual guide - although a nice product and yes, produced with the blessings of LFL - contradicts itself repeatedly, and does not dictate anything to the Legion. It merely provides some very nice reference photos that we can use to fuel discussions - sometimes between members of both Detachment and Legion Commands.

This is a salient point.  It's been the case repeatedly that since they have to get photos/copy to the publishers before the movie comes out.  Thus the Visual Guide while *usually* very good, isn't always the best reference.  Just an FYI in case people were unsure.

I'll echo Tim's comment on anything MEPD/FISD related. If there's not a forum post that supports the thought, then there is no way to verify what was said. Is there a link that bears this out?  

• Like 1

Oh I don't believe these were any kind of "decision making" discussions. If you follow the link it's just forum talk on the subject, some forum admins and other staff get involved. For the most part everyone agrees on the topic, except for a few greedy sandtroopers who want every type of pack that exists all for themselves. But it's clearly evident at this point that these packs are issued to standard stormtroopers assigned to "Crystal Patrol Duty" both in the film and as stated in the visual guide, the packs were displayed on shiny stormtroopers at Star Wars Celebration, and alike there is also stormtrooper action figures for them, not sandtroopers. I don't see how anyone can complain, both FISD and MEPD are each getting new packs, I feel it's fair and it's very exciting for both detachments!

Edited by SlyFox740
  • Like 2

I agree with Slufox on the topic: if standard TK'S are assigned this duty, it should be an option. However, working it out with MEPD will be interesting.

It is already worked out, by way of the conversation I referenced above, that I had with the LMO. FISD will own the crystal pack, MEPD will own the Type 4 or whatever it is called. You know, the MEPD one. :)

• Like 2

Not sure if anyone caught this, and I have yet to read every post but it looks as if the the shoulder covers simply lay on top of the chest plate, is connected but hinged or velcroed. In this image the cover strip is 15-20 degrees offset from the chest, where with the OTTK it's parallel and glued.  

Thoughts?

1UIkIVS-crop.jpg

Yes, absolutely. It looks to me almost like the buckle that you'd see on rollerblades or ski boots, where the ridged strap slides into and clicks into place to lock it.

• Like 2