Stormtrooper grappling hook

Does anyone know where i can get an accurate grappling hook or know of a quality tutorial??

Was this made from scatch or is it something thats been modified for the movie?

Any info on the grappling hook would be very usefull.

TK0000

tk0000 said:
Does anyone know where i can get an accurate grappling hook or know of a quality tutorial??

Was this made from scatch or is it something thats been modified for the movie?

Any info on the grappling hook would be very usefull.

TK0000

Brian

there was a thred going a while back but it fizzled out.

--------

There was also a thred on the RPF but that seemed to go the same way.

I contacted a few prop makers who posted asking them if they would consider starting a project

for a run of these, because I would be willing to fund it just to get them out there, but they all

hummed and arrrhed and nothing came of it :angry:

I'm still looking for somebody to do it so if you hear of anyone, or if anybody reading this fancys

giving it a go then I'd be more than interested in one and if needed help in getting a project

up and running :)

Edited by gmrhodes13
link not working removed

I've been racking my brain trying to think of a way to do this. I would LOVE to have a grappling hook instead of a TD on m belt.

The only things I've come up with that would work are wood (seems WAY too heavy and bulky) or making one out of ABS, but I would need a vac-table.

I've looked for existing items with no luck. A thought has crossed my mind to try and "kit bash" it, but I don't think I'd be able to find the right parts.

The thing i was thinking is that this is from ANH and may be a real vintage item? At least part of it anyway. Where's Brak's and DeanO when you need'em.....sheesh :rolleyes:

Does anyone have a highres screen shot?

Is the one in the movie the same as the one in the visual dictionary?

--------

:o Only $20.00!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!.........................

NOT...............

Edited by gmrhodes13
link not working removed

So far the closest thing i could find that's looks anything similar ................................Looks to me like a folding kayak anchor kit......or similar...

----------

Keep looking and brain storm(troop)ing

Edited by gmrhodes13
link not working removed

got this from the RPF\\

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"As I understand it, the screen-used prop was made from plumbing materials, so that might be a place to start."

got this from the RPF\\

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"As I understand it, the screen-used prop was made from plumbing materials, so that might be a place to start."

The main body could be an old style toilet pull chain handle. The "arms" do look like door /cupboard handles.

No kidding. I dont think there is a screen accurate one in existence right now. I attempted this a while back but was unsuccessful.

OK guys had a good look at this hook and this is how i see it.

2582252980_357f1116ee_o.jpg

Sorry about the free hand but you get the idea.I really feel the stem has a coiled spring around it and thats what Luke fiddles with to make the hooks open up.

Hey guys, EVO3 here. Some of you may or may not know me but i mostly hang out over on clonetroopers.net. A friend of mine that frequents these boards told me that you all were looking for a grappling hook. Turns out i started this project over a month ago and came up with this prototype. At the moment, it is sitting at the machine shop and i am waiting to hear back from them for an estimate. I plan on having these done in aluminum and also anodizing them as well. Just wanted to let you guys know that something was already in the works. ;)

EdF5t5l.jpg

q4mYxn2.png

Thats all i pretty much had to work with, but i think its pretty close with a few tweeks here and there it'll be good to go. Heres the completed prototype........

7NsvyZC.jpg

Vf7akez.jpg

eIWlLaw.jpg

Iq6mLZc.jpg

And heres one for size reference........

0RDlOG1.jpg

I never thought of the spring. Nailed it guys. I think thats it.

Stuka, I think your design is solid. I also think a static one is buildable from hardware store parts. I am off today with renewed intrest. I failed at the design once, was discouraced becouse of lack of no how on the tine hinges.

EVO3, Dead on. Great design, and functional. The only thing I cant see is the hinges in the screen cap. Thats the part that bugs me. I was shooting for a hidden clean hinge, like a roll pin, but lacked the capabilitys in my shop to do it. are those short thread stock, like a set screw? Could they be shortened?

You all are making me itch to get back into the shop. NICE WORK!

EVO3..Awsome prototype.................pm sent

I was checking out these types of things today to see if there's an actual grappling hook like the one used in the movie. i would prefere to have an original one if we can find it.

-------

Edited by gmrhodes13
link not working removed

In the ref pic where luke is holding the grappling hook it looks a little different like the barbs are straight instead of bent on the ends???? or is it just me.

And this is TK 421's grappling hook luke has stolen, corrrect?

The only thing I cant see is the hinges in the screen cap. Thats the part that bugs me. I was shooting for a hidden clean hinge, like a roll pin, but lacked the capabilitys in my shop to do it. are those short thread stock, like a set screw? Could they be shortened?

Y

The grappling hook in the pics was a quick prototype that i built in a few hours just to get the idea across to the machinist. The brass pins you see were just put there to get the job done but will not show up in the final product. I will probably end up using roll pins, as that seems like the best solution.

Peter , Andy

Guys, talk about 'Great minds think alike'. Pure genius!!, I think the pair of you's nailed it to a T.

It's so bloody obvious when you see it.....IT'S A SPRING!!!. :o

It just makes so much sense, pull to release and the spring holds the hooks in the open position.

Pull down to the base, fold the hooks and the spring holds them in the closed position.

So simple, but BRILLIANT! :D

I think so many of us were over complicating it and looking at it from completely the wrong angle,...

"Well, I can get the shaft lathed,then maybe use an old Calor gas camping stove for the hook, then some bolts and washers from the cockpit of a B52 bomber". :huh:

When you think about it, most of the original Star Wars props were constructed very simply, utilising and scavenging bits 'n' bobs

from anywhere they could.They seem to have a "If it looks good, it looks right, then lets use it " ethos, and it worked.

Who would have thought that an old sub machine-g*n fitted with plastic drawer rails, an old WW2 scope and some

discarded electrical parts would make one of the most iconic blasters seen on film. :)

Gentlemen, thank you so much for this break through.We finally have a light at the end of the tunnel.

Andy please count me in for one of these when the project gets up and running

And Brian, thank you for resurrecting this frustrating quest.

Andy,blumin ace mate,my eyes poped out of my head.

I can put ideas on paper but turning them into working in hand items i fall flat on my face.

One for me 100% if you make some.